Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
If The Stones Decided To Record A Modern Version Of The Basement Tapes, Who Should Be In The Backing "Band?"
Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: March 2, 2006 00:22

I'm listening to the basement tapes by Dylan and the band. Such a nice groove, laid back and relaxed and yet lots of rocking stuff from some of the masters, knockin' it out like your kid brother's garage band.

A Bigger Bang was great, but I'd love to see the Stones just get some sympathetic musicians and jam for a few weeks, then release it as a semi-official boot like the basement tapes was for years before the official (and inferior) release. Maybe put it out through the website or fan club.

Who would be some good musicians they might jam with? Of course there are the usual suspects like Waddy Watchell, Jim Keltner, Steve Jordan, etc. Willie Nelson could be good. Maybe a Mick duet with Beck? The possibilities are endless. They would all meet at the Million Dollar Bash.

Re: If The Stones Decided To Record A Modern Version Of The Basement Tapes, Who Should Be In The Backing "Band?"
Posted by: Leonard Keringer ()
Date: March 2, 2006 00:25

Robbie Robertson, Garth Hudson, Levon Helm and some hungry, unknown music-shee-anns who've got nothing to lose and just wanna make some music for fun

Re: If The Stones Decided To Record A Modern Version Of The Basement Tapes, Who Should Be In The Backing "Band?"
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 2, 2006 00:27

but your premise is wrong - Dylan and Co. weren't recording with the idea of "making an album" - therein lies the key to the success of the music

Date: March 2, 2006 00:41

True. Mick would probably sell T-shirts to the recording sessions. It wouldn't be the same vibe. But let's just say they got stranded in China for two weeks (another false SARS outbreak) with Robbie Robertson, Little Richard, Eric Burdon and the surviving original Ramone. They don't mean to make an album but little do they know their hotel room is bugged, and the tapes are immediately posted on the buy sell trade page.

Date: March 2, 2006 00:42

now you're talkin'

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 2, 2006 00:43

....and they drank a lot of moonshine to keep the spirit going.

Date: March 2, 2006 00:44

and cut a version of neo con called sweet neo con honk, in the parking lot.

Posted by: kienan ()
Date: March 2, 2006 01:58

I know that this is off the mark for this post but, the mention of the "Band" made me want to bring up the Band's latest: "The band A Musical History'. The best box-set since The Faces "Five Guys Walk into a Bar." 5 CDs and 1 DVD. Great, great stuff. Check it out. By the way, Exile was close to Basement Tapes for them. As far as something now, bring in some of the people who the Stones admire, Buddy Guy, The Chieftains among others.

Posted by: Miss U. ()
Date: March 2, 2006 02:03

Same thread is here:

[iorr.org]

Date: March 2, 2006 13:55

Miss U. Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Same thread is here:
>
>

Sort of. My imaginary band would be jamming with the Stones, which I didn't think was the case with the imaginary band in the other thread. I can't believe I just typed that last sentence.

Date: March 2, 2006 16:35

kienan Wrote:
> I know that this is off the mark for this post
> but, the mention of the "Band" made me want to
> bring up the Band's latest: "The band A Musical
> History'. The best box-set since The Faces "Five
> Guys Walk into a Bar." 5 CDs and 1 DVD. Great,
> great stuff. Check it out. By the way, Exile was
> close to Basement Tapes for them. As far as
> something now, bring in some of the people who the
> Stones admire, Buddy Guy, The Chieftains among
> others.

Couldn't agree more, Kienan, 'A Musical History'..great stuff . I love the concept of this thread, The Basement Tapes is in my top 5 ...what a great time they must have had. Levon had just come back into the fold, after being on self imposed leave in Arkansas, Dylan was back from his motorcycle accident, the rest of the Hawks were on retainer and resting nicely, making music and finding their sound. Richard Manuel was becoming a great drummer in addition to his already great singing...and the songs were coming, from Dylan, and collaborating.
I reckon if the Rolling Stones fell into anything similar, Dylan, being the friend he is to them, would have to be involved.
personally I always thought it would be really interesting if the Stones backed Dylan on a bunch of songs, like The Band...

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: March 2, 2006 16:42

jamming with The Stones? i'd go for some young (ish) guns....

I'm thinking,
Ryan Adams, Jack White, Jeff Tweedy, Gary Louris, Conor Oberst(aka Bright Eyes)

...guys with great talent, and with whom The Stones (imo) would get a kick, out of working with.

Date: March 2, 2006 17:39

kienan Wrote:
> I know that this is off the mark for this post
> but, the mention of the "Band" made me want to
> bring up the Band's latest: "The band A Musical
> History'. The best box-set since The Faces "Five
> Guys Walk into a Bar." 5 CDs and 1 DVD. Great,
>

But a rip-off for us fans who already had all of this stuff (minus the DVD) in some form or other. Robertson really pisses me off with all this repackaging crap. After much soul-searching I finally passed on this - I wanted to buy the DVD (the ONLY thing I didn't already have - all the outtakes have been widely available on boots for years) - but I wasn't gonna spend $75 on that alone.

Date: March 2, 2006 18:17

could I add to this since Kienan brought it up? I'm interested in how Robertson is thought of by people like yourself, T&A and Kienan, and others who know about and care about The Band...
since I recently got 'A Musical History', and didn't have the remastered cd's, or the originals for that matter, I'm glad to have an extensive box set. and the DVD is enjoyable. Robertson is not portrayed too well in Levon's book. I don't doubt Levon. Robertson took control of the songwriting and publishing rights, therefore coming out way better financially...causing a hell of a lot of resentment. then he quit the band.
maybe a subject for a whole 'nother (off topic) thread..

Date: March 2, 2006 18:39

Robertson's a jerk, imo. And, not just based on Levon's account, either. Let's also not forget that he's done virtually nothing of note or value since leaving his mates 30 years ago. A once great guitarist and band-member....

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: March 2, 2006 18:40

Metallica, in 1987 released an EP of "semi-produced" cover songs of their earlier heros.

Was it this kind of stuff you are talking about?

Of course it would be great!!

Date: March 2, 2006 18:43

T&A Wrote:
> Robertson's a jerk, imo. And, not just based on
> Levon's account, either. Let's also not forget
> that he's done virtually nothing of note or value
> since leaving his mates 30 years ago. A once
> great guitarist and band-member....

I think his self titled solo album is tremendous. I like it better than most of The Band stuff. You're right in that he hasn't put out much since leaving The Band, though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-03-02 23:04 by ohnonotyouagain.

Date: March 2, 2006 18:49

I listened to his first solo album the other day and was really marvelling at how dated it sounded....I hate that over-production crap. And, let's face it - he was never much of a singer...maybe those songs, with more stripped down arrangements, would have sounded decent with one or more of his ex-mates doing the vocal chores - he had 3 of the best....

Posted by: billy318124 ()
Date: March 2, 2006 18:51

this is the version to get................

[bobsboots.com]

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: March 2, 2006 18:54

How 'bout they make a new album? I'd like that better. A Bigger Bang rocked, I'd love to see more of that. "Basement tapes" are hardly interessting. They have to be commercial to some degree. And you'll all be whining that it isn't "basement" enough or not good enough.. Who cares about the past.. just make another great album of rock!!

Posted by: cosmoprim ()
Date: March 2, 2006 19:07

billy318124 Wrote:
> this is the version to get................
>
>
>
Goddamned right.
And, the Stones couldn't do what Dylan & The Band did - or even something analgous to it. The (real) basement tapes are truly lightning in a bottle - a confluence of so many different things happening at the right time, in the right setting, with the right people.

Date: March 2, 2006 19:17

it amazes me that Sony hasn't bothered doing anything with these recordings, aside from what Robertson put together 3 decades ago, which was unfortunately augmented too heavily with Band recordings that had nothing to do with the Dylan ones. A veritable treaure trove - one you'd think the Bootleg Series would have raided by now.

Date: March 2, 2006 19:21

T&A Wrote:
> it amazes me that Sony hasn't bothered doing
> anything with these recordings, aside from what
> Robertson put together 3 decades ago, which was
> unfortunately augmented too heavily with Band
> recordings that had nothing to do with the Dylan
> ones. A veritable treaure trove - one you'd think
> the Bootleg Series would have raided by now.

I 'd like to get one of those sets!

Posted by: kienan ()
Date: March 2, 2006 19:46

First,sorry for deviating from the orignal thread. To me,"The Band" happens to be one of the most under-rated groups ever. Saw them twice, once with Dylan. I was blow away both times. Most of us here know of them and the body of work they put out. Younger posters who are not aware of this group, or those of us who do not have the boots, the box-set is a god send. Always have loved Dylan, Which lead me to the Band. billy318124, Could you post something from the Basement tapes (Boot)?

Date: March 2, 2006 20:09

no problem.will do a few later or tomorrow.yousendit is playing up at the moment.its a bit hit and miss !

Date: March 2, 2006 20:16

Million dollar Bash

the only one on my computer at the moment ! will sort some more out later.

[s15.yousendit.com]

Posted by: cc ()
Date: March 2, 2006 20:24

I actually think the Band are somewhat overrated by people who believe their schtick. It's an interesting act sometimes, but more of a pastiche than they let on. Scorcese really fell hard for it... The Last Waltz is kind of embarrassing... almost everyone they bring up onstage has much more to offer. Not that they weren't talented, but they really sold people on their "authentic" vibe, which they bit off of dylan.

Date: March 2, 2006 20:36

Reptile Wrote:
> How 'bout they make a new album? I'd like that
> better. A Bigger Bang rocked, I'd love to see more
> of that. "Basement tapes" are hardly interessting.
> They have to be commercial to some degree. And
> you'll all be whining that it isn't "basement"
> enough or not good enough.. Who cares about the
> past.. just make another great album of rock!!

I agree Reptile, that the Stones don't need an attempt to The Basement Tapes.
But, my Goodness, The Basement Tapes are absolutely interseting. I can't believe you don't care for that album. I did when I was 14! It's such a cool feeling.

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: March 2, 2006 20:48

Erik_Snow Wrote:
> Reptile Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > How 'bout they make a new album? I'd like
> that
> > better. A Bigger Bang rocked, I'd love to see
> more
> > of that. "Basement tapes" are hardly
> interessting.
> > They have to be commercial to some degree.
> And
> > you'll all be whining that it isn't
> "basement"
> > enough or not good enough.. Who cares about
> the
> > past.. just make another great album of
> rock!!
>
> I agree Reptile, that the Stones don't need an
> attempt to The Basement Tapes.
> But, my Goodness, The Basement Tapes are
> absolutely interseting. I can't believe you don't
> care for that album. I did when I was 14! It's
> such a cool feeling.
>

Yeah, sure, but a modern version of the basement tapes? That shit wasn't released because they thought it wasn't good enough... look at it from their point of view? They wanna play the songs they're proud of(ie JJF, BS, Satisfaction, and so on..) and not the songs they thought were not good enough.

Date: March 2, 2006 20:53

That's true, perhaps I misunderstood you, I thought you said that Basement Tapes (Bob Dylan) wasn't interesting.
A Stones album where they play old hits in a basement seems riddiculous. It have to be newly-written songs. But then again we almost got that, on the Dirty Work hotel recordings, or the Sea Of Love from the toilet in July 1982!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1313
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home