Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Start Me Up/Song "Placement"
Posted by: WMiller ()
Date: February 28, 2006 17:50

Does anyone recall what Microsoft payed to use "Start Me Up" when they launched Windows? Like it or not as a practice for bands to do it, I think it was great placement.

Re: Start Me Up/Song "Placement"
Date: March 1, 2006 19:41

I guess that it was a good choice but,Windows was going to be a hit anyway.Jagger said in 1997 that they will never do that again & since then no post '71 song has been sold as far as I know.

Posted by: gmanp ()
Date: March 1, 2006 19:45

I heard 4 million but ???

Posted by: crossfire ()
Date: March 1, 2006 20:03

I thought you meant placement in the setlist- and I think it works much better in the latter part of the show (a real pick me up-commercially speaking) than as a kick off number- just my opinion.

Posted by: lamemodem2 ()
Date: March 1, 2006 20:14

I know Microsoft wanted to use REM's "It's the End of the World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)," but that band refused.

And Wikipedia says: "Microsoft paid $14 million to use the song for their Windows 95 advertising campaign."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-03-01 20:17 by lamemodem2.

Posted by: bv ()
Date: March 1, 2006 21:05

If Microsoft want to pay some million dollars to play a Stones song as part of a commercial who cares? More Stones on the radio or TV. And more money to the band.

Bjornulf

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: March 1, 2006 21:27

Anybody remember the Pepsi commercial where they used Brown Sugar? It had some kind of animated bug dancing around to Brown Sugar after drinking too much Pepsi as I recall. I always liked that one, it was pretty amusing. I'd like to see FTD Florists do a commercial using Dead Flowers.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: March 1, 2006 22:32

I love the way that BV has stepped in to defend the Stones BEFORE anyone has even criticised them. That is a pre-emptive strike and he should do it more often.

That shows how much moaning goes on on this site.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1378
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home