Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Back Of My Hand at Hollywood Bowl
Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: February 17, 2006 17:23

I was just listening to this show last night and boy did they cook on this version of Back of my Hand. The bass line seems a little different on this version than the ones I heard earlier in this tour and the guitars sound great. What a shame they dropped this song from the set and that they are not doing any blues numbers at the shows.

Re: Back Of My Hand at Hollywood Bowl
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 17, 2006 18:36

Amen to that, HD. I suppose some would argue that Night Time (rarely played of late, as well) fills the bill for a blooze song, but to me it's more of an R&B affair. When they first broke this out at Fenway1 I assumed it would be the staple blooze tune in the set. Without a blooze, the show is missing a vital element of the Stones repetoire.

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: February 17, 2006 22:57

Couldn't agree more, this song was one of the highlights of the shows I went to. This also makes me think that the Stones don't care as much as they should and just take the easy way out by doing another greatest hits show. How can they not play a blues song in their set. People talk about or hope for them scaling it down and doing a blue-focused tour. No chance. They can start by playing a blues song.

We are at the point now where they are hardly doing any new songs. I expect by the time they get to Europe we will hear maybe 2 new songs a night. Don't think we'll hear Back of my Hand unfortunately..

Posted by: midrambler ()
Date: February 17, 2006 23:00

Great song, why not Fancyman blues???? Rarities promo???

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: February 17, 2006 23:06

I definitely miss Back Of My Hand in the setlist. I'd much rather hear that one than Rain Fall Down. It's a shame they aren't playing at least five songs a night from A Bigger Bang.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: February 17, 2006 23:27

You would think they would do at least one rarity from the album that was released a few months back. You would also think they would try a few things rather than the obvious warhorses. Look at the reaction songs like Get Off My Cloud, As Tears Go By or Memmory Motel gets whenever they do them. People love them.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 17, 2006 23:33

the thing that I find most "fascinating" about the dull setlists is that the Stones themselves can tolerate playing "pick a warhorse" for the 1 zillionth time and not go crazy! I mean can you imagine? 30-40 years of your career and you're still doing the same thing over and over again? Regardless of what you do for a living, it has to be a real chore.

I guess they eitehr find a way to mask the tedium or they actually enjoy it -either way, it really is astonishing.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: February 17, 2006 23:36

T&A Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> the thing that I find most "fascinating" about the
> dull setlists is that the Stones themselves can
> tolerate playing "pick a warhorse" for the 1
> zillionth time and not go crazy! I mean can you
> imagine? 30-40 years of your career and you're
> still doing the same thing over and over again?
> Regardless of what you do for a living, it has to
> be a real chore.
>
> I guess they eitehr find a way to mask the tedium
> or they actually enjoy it -either way, it really
> is astonishing.

I'm with you there. I do the same things over and over at work, but only because I don't have a choice! If it were up to me there's no way I wouldn't change things around.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: February 17, 2006 23:43

Back of My Hand (in the set along with "Night Time") was quite well received by the Boston crowds in August '05, a month before ABB was released; Ditto Rain Fall Down - hard & funky when they came back this way in January, and that one had quite a few people dancing - both songs work very well live, and with 18 new originals I wonder how they (or Mick, perhaps) rationalize ignoring the majority of the new material. I mean, the crowds were great, as were the reviews - and people came back five months later for the arena shows...btw, BOMH is imo a far more effective song and perfomance than 'Fancy Man."

Date: February 18, 2006 02:44

Back Of My Hand was good live but,I can think of quite a few of their blues songs that I would rather hear next time.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1463
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home