Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Fleetwood Mac
Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 21, 2009 14:21

Of course LB's chords make the song. However, this stripped down version with emphasis on organ cannot be denied. Btw, Stevie Nicks....

LO

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: October 21, 2009 19:53

was just listening to rumours before logging in here. one of the best albums ever recorded and now that the remaster includes silver springs it's even better

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: October 21, 2009 20:58

I love, love, love Kiln House. Bare Trees and Future Games are great too, largely because of Danny Kirwin, one of rock and roll's true tragic figures.

Lindsey Buckingham is a great talent too, but his band is a totally new Fleetwood Mac. He made Christine a star along with Nicks.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 21, 2009 21:05

OK..here's the finished product so to speak. IMO Stevie's singing is surperior in the "out take"

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 12, 2009 01:36

Until recently, I paid little interest in Fleetwood Mac, and when I did, it was only to the Green-era hits: Oh Well, Man Of The World, et al. However, a documentary lately screened on BBC 4 has kindled some interest and I have to say, I have been incredibly impressed with some of the Lindsay Buckingham/Stevie Nicks 70’s, and 80’s music I have heard.

This performance of Rhiannon is rather excellent – and I must say, Nicks is, well, pretty god-damn fine looking.

Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: November 12, 2009 01:39

Is it true that Rock and Roll Circus's Dirty Mac was a play on Fleetwood Mac?

Date: November 12, 2009 01:44

studiorambo
Is it true that Rock and Roll Circus's Dirty Mac was a play on Fleetwood Mac?

I suspect so: they were the band-of-the-moment around that time in the UK

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: November 12, 2009 01:54

Zack
I love, love, love Kiln House. Bare Trees and Future Games are great too, largely because of Danny Kirwin, one of rock and roll's true tragic figures.

Lindsey Buckingham is a great talent too, but his band is a totally new Fleetwood Mac. He made Christine a star along with Nicks.

What is 'Kiln House'?

Two other pre Nicks/Buckingham seventies albums are very worthwhile too, (imo) -

Penguins
Mystery to Me

I agree about Danny K.

Edit - I've discovered that Kiln House was a 1970 FMac album with Spencer and Christine.

Something to look forward to.

Also just learnt that the lyrics to his (insert your own superlative) Dust on Bare Trees are (directly) taken from a poem by Rupert Brooke (English 'war' poet)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-12 02:10 by Four Stone Walls.

Posted by: izzyanderson ()
Date: November 12, 2009 03:08

I posted this in the Peter Green thread but I want to again share this very excellent documentary on Peter Green which I believe Big Al was alluding to.
Here's part 1, the rest can be found on youtube.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: November 12, 2009 09:15

Thanks Izz. Great reprise of a wonderful documentary. The old Mac were the real deal. Few bands if any could get to that level.

Date: November 12, 2009 10:24

No, no, it wasn't The Peter Green Story - though, that was rather good - , but one focusing more on the Rumours onwards era.

Date: November 13, 2009 02:43

Stevie Nicks is a goddess

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: November 13, 2009 02:48

I sure love the Mac..i didnt dig them foo a long long time....now i like the 60 and the 70 ties MAC...And Mick is a great drummer....they was funny

Date: November 13, 2009 04:08

idiots on the ABB forum are saying lindsey buckingham ruined FM and without stevie nicks he'd be working at a grocery store. wasn't buckingham the person that got nicks into the band so wouldn't it be the other way around? also it is buckinghams weird rock/country/new wave tunes that had me buying FM albums in the first place

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: November 13, 2009 09:38

Yes, Stevie is beautiful, in the 70s and through to the present, but those who haven't heard pre-Stevie/Lindsay FM are in for a treat.

Date: November 13, 2009 12:26

I was a little bit tipsy when I posted the video last night - good job there is no work today! confused smiley

If push comes to shove, I would say that I prefer the Nicks/Buckingham era - new Best-of arrived yesterday - though, I appreciate and enjoy much of the 60's output. Actually, it’s s a little like comparing Barrett-era Floyd to The Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall: not entirely fair. IMO, they are two different groups and comparison is pointless.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: November 13, 2009 15:28

Whatever happened to Sheryl Crow recording with them? Guess Lindsey nixed that idea. LOL

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: November 13, 2009 17:32

Four Stone Walls
[

What is 'Kiln House'?

AMG

Kiln House (1970)

3.5 stars

Fleetwood Mac was still primarily a blues band on this, their first album after the departure of founder/nominal leader Peter Green. But the remaining members, Mick Fleetwood, John McVie, Jeremy Spencer, and Danny Kirwan (plus McVie's wife, Christine, not yet officially part of the group) started broadening the band's use of blues into other contexts, and adding new influences in the absence of Green's laser-like focus. Jeremy Spencer's fascination with American rock & roll manifests itself on the album opener, "This Is the Rock" (which crosses paths with Elvis Presley's Sun Records sides), whilst "Hi Ho Silver" is a higher-wattage shouter covering the same territory that Spencer explored with the band (sans Green) on "Someone's Gonna Get Their Head Kicked in Tonight," only with a little more subtlety and grace; and his tribute to Buddy Holly, "Buddy's Song," even outdoes the classic Joe Meek/Mike Berry "Tribute to Buddy Holly" as a memorial to the late rock & roll star — and it was always too good and sincere to be mistaken for part of any oldies revival. "Jewel Eyed Judy" and "Earl Gray" are two superb showcases for Danny Kirwan, the former as a vocalist and player and the latter as a composer and guitarist in tandem with Spencer, in what was a pretty good successor to the Green-era instrumental hit "Albatross." "One Together" shows off a harmony-vocal side to this band that was something new in 1970, on one of the prettiest tunes they ever had to work with. And Kirwan gets the spotlight once again as a guitarist on the hard-rocking "Tell Me All the Things You Do." The album ends with the lyrical, relaxed McCartney-esque folky pop of "Mission Bell," which seemed to point the way toward their future direction. None of this may be as intense as the music they cut with Peter Green running the show, but in its relaxed way Kiln House represents the same virtuoso blues-rock outfit having a little fun while making a record — think of it as roughly Fleetwood Mac's equivalent to the Rolling Stones' Between the Buttons.
Tracks

1 This Is the Rock 2:45
AMG Pick2 Station Man 5:49
3 Blood on the Floor 2:44
4 Hi Ho Silver 3:05
AMG Pick5 Jewel Eyed Judy 3:17
6 Buddy's Song 2:08
7 Earl Gray 4:01
AMG Pick8 One Together 3:23
9 Tell Me All the Things You Do 4:10
10 Mission Bell

Posted by: izzyanderson ()
Date: November 13, 2009 18:42

Buckingham and Nicks made an album together in '73 before joining Fleetwood Mac. It's a collector's item, hasn't been released on CD.
Here's a pretty tune from that album by one of my favourite guitar players:

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: November 13, 2009 19:08

Everybody knows that Mick is playing drums on Seven Days

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: November 13, 2009 22:44

Just saw them last Friday at Wembley Arena (for the first time). Lindsey Buckingham is an awesome guitar player, never really picked up on it from the recordings, but live, his playin breathes fire.

I agree that Fleetwood and McVie are a much underrated rhythm team.

SonicD

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: November 13, 2009 22:53

Zack
Four Stone Walls
[

What is 'Kiln House'?

AMG

Kiln House (1970)

3.5 stars

Fleetwood Mac was still primarily a blues band on this, their first album after the departure of founder/nominal leader Peter Green. But the remaining members, Mick Fleetwood, John McVie, Jeremy Spencer, and Danny Kirwan (plus McVie's wife, Christine, not yet officially part of the group) started broadening the band's use of blues into other contexts, and adding new influences in the absence of Green's laser-like focus. Jeremy Spencer's fascination with American rock & roll manifests itself on the album opener, "This Is the Rock" (which crosses paths with Elvis Presley's Sun Records sides), whilst "Hi Ho Silver" is a higher-wattage shouter covering the same territory that Spencer explored with the band (sans Green) on "Someone's Gonna Get Their Head Kicked in Tonight," only with a little more subtlety and grace; and his tribute to Buddy Holly, "Buddy's Song," even outdoes the classic Joe Meek/Mike Berry "Tribute to Buddy Holly" as a memorial to the late rock & roll star — and it was always too good and sincere to be mistaken for part of any oldies revival. "Jewel Eyed Judy" and "Earl Gray" are two superb showcases for Danny Kirwan, the former as a vocalist and player and the latter as a composer and guitarist in tandem with Spencer, in what was a pretty good successor to the Green-era instrumental hit "Albatross." "One Together" shows off a harmony-vocal side to this band that was something new in 1970, on one of the prettiest tunes they ever had to work with. And Kirwan gets the spotlight once again as a guitarist on the hard-rocking "Tell Me All the Things You Do." The album ends with the lyrical, relaxed McCartney-esque folky pop of "Mission Bell," which seemed to point the way toward their future direction. None of this may be as intense as the music they cut with Peter Green running the show, but in its relaxed way Kiln House represents the same virtuoso blues-rock outfit having a little fun while making a record — think of it as roughly Fleetwood Mac's equivalent to the Rolling Stones' Between the Buttons.
Tracks

1 This Is the Rock 2:45
AMG Pick2 Station Man 5:49
3 Blood on the Floor 2:44
4 Hi Ho Silver 3:05
AMG Pick5 Jewel Eyed Judy 3:17
6 Buddy's Song 2:08
7 Earl Gray 4:01
AMG Pick8 One Together 3:23
9 Tell Me All the Things You Do 4:10
10 Mission Bell

Hey, thanks Zack.

Weren't they so prolific in the early seventies?

When I started collecting pre-Buck/Nicks albums I found Future Games ('71) (and I'd heard about Bare Trees ('72)). Future Games has a potted history of the band on it so I assumed it was their first album after 1969's Now Play On. Wrong!
They had time to record another one - good one apparently - in 1970!

What momentum, commitment and Passion - unphased by PG's departure.

Really looking forward to tracking down Kiln House. Will google it now to see cover picture.

Incredible work rate in early seventies amid all the personnel changes. So creative too.

They really put modern bands and the modern recording/ contract / business system to shame.

All about the music then. Ah, those were the days!

Edit - Sleeve picture to Kiln House is very 'period' - funny.

And blow me, they recorded ANOTHER album in 1974 after 1973's TWO albums, the '74 one being ...... hang on a minute ......... 'Heroes are Hard to Find'

No they're not ....... step forward Msrs. Fleetwood and MacVie

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-13 23:05 by Four Stone Walls.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1035
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home