Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

London '73 questions
Posted by: Andy L ()
Date: January 4, 2005 23:45

I have a few questions about the bootlegs from this period:

1. Are Comeback London '73 (Alley Cat) and Come Back To England (VGP-033) the same? If not, which is better?

2. Come Back To England (VGP-033) has an incomplete 9/9/1973, while Nasty Muzik (VGP-252) has the full show. Are they the same recording? If not, what is the quality on Come Back To England like?

3. Does the complete 7/9/1973 show exist? If so, what quality is it in, and what is the best release of it?

Thanks for any help offered.

Re: London '73 questions
Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: January 5, 2005 01:53

1) From [www.iorr.org]

Come Back London '73

1 CD

Alley Cat

Contains excerpts from the bootleg LP Comeback to England Vol. 1 (Underground Records). Live in London September 8, 1973 - 2nd. Very good audience quality.

Comeback To England

1 CD

OG-787 (VGP 033)

Excerpts of the shows from London September 8 - 2nd and September 9, 1973. Very good audience quality. More tracks than on the bootleg LP Comeback To England (OG-787) but missing Dancing With Mr. D.

2) I think Comeback to England also has an incomplete GS. For some reason those London tapers didn't care for MT's solo on GS. I've never heard Nasty Music, but I think Comeback to England is supposed to be better quality. Not sure if they are different sources.

3) Something called London Empire Pool September 7, 1973 on JRL Productions has the show. I do not recall whether there are cuts, but I think it has at least pieces of all the songs. I don't know of any alternatives.

There are experts on this board. Hopefully, they can give you more help.

Posted by: Andy L ()
Date: January 5, 2005 15:01

Thanks for the help Smokey.

I've read in several places (including the FAQ) that Come Back London '73 is a combination of the 8/9/73 2nd and 9/9/73 shows, which was why I asked if it was the same as VGP-033.

Can anyone give me any more help?

Date: January 5, 2005 15:09

What's missing on "Come Back London 73"?

I have that show, and I must say that it was surprising to read that this is a very good audience. My copy is (almost) as good as Brussels soundwise. I don't recall any missing songs either...

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: January 31, 2006 18:29

Twenty-five years ago I bought the classic bootleg LIVE IN LONDON which was very expensive but on the other hand the sound quality wasn't as bad as described in some reviews. Actually I enjoyed listening to a great performance.

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: January 31, 2006 19:20

To my taste, Midnight Rambler from 9/9/73 is the best version ever of that song (Brussels is a bit too fast and Taylor is overplaying a bit, IMHO). On this one, you can feel like being passed over by a train: hear how tempo changes through the song. The best rhythm section ever!!

It's available as mono SDB on a few 73 compilations. Should it be available on the same quality as other boots, it would be one of the greatest single pieces of rock'n'roll ever!

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1656
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home