Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Stones live in Seattle 15 Octobre 1981.
Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: October 15, 2009 17:17

I was watching the other day the video of the show (thanks one more time Mr Urban Steel ) and I was out of breath and blowned up by what I saw .

I've liked a lot to hear Keith 's guitar ,he did it well ,didn't he ?
And what about Charlie ??
Jagger was on fire that night ,wasn't he ?
My God,there were so many sweat on his face ..the closes up are awesome !!
By watching his face and his moves ,I told to myself "this guy wasn't acting "Mick frontman tricks " ,he is really in in .

Is there anybody on this board who had attented the show ?
I couldn't find a lot of reviews of the concert and will love to read your opinion .
Thanks for your help .
Sway.

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Re: The Stones live in Seattle 15 Octobre 1981.
Posted by: loveyoulive75 ()
Date: October 15, 2009 18:38

Ah...my first concert. I was thirteen. My aunt, who was twenty at the time, and her boyfriend (they got married in '83 and are still together today) took me, against my parents' wishes, as my folks -openminded as they were- reckoned I was too young to go a Stones concert. And, been as the Stones deigned not to play Canada at all in '81, we had no choice but to head over the border from Kelowna, BC. So the three of us just sorta disappeared for a few days...bit of a road trip to get to Seattle (drove down in a blue Eldorado; ugliest car you'd ever seen!) We had fun (I have my aunt and uncle to thank for not only taking me to the show but also for smoking me up for the first time on the way there! Some things never change- still smokin'smoking smiley, still a Stones fan!)

What struck me most about the event itself was the immense SIZE of the Kingdome -it was huge, hot, and it was packed full of rabid Stones fans- as well as how bleedin' LOUD it was! Nowadays, on the rare occasion I go to a concert, I'm prudent enough to bring earplugs, but, hey, I was young and dumb and thirteen in '81. Live and learn. To be fair, our nosebleed seats were not the best - we barely saw Keith and Bill at all- but it was one hell of an experience for a fairly 'sheltered' kid like I was. I do of course have the soundboard recording, but not the video (not a big '81 fan compared to other tours) but haven't heard it in a while. I don't remember anything overly spectacular about the boys' playing or performance (probably be in my personal listening a lot more if there was)...I'm guessing it was more or less an average 1981 concert.

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: October 15, 2009 20:15

Yes, one of my favorite Stones vids of all time. My first tour . . .

SS, much like bon vs. bien is difficile for an anglais, much vs. many is also tricky.

"so much sweat on their faces" is correct.

Posted by: Halup ()
Date: October 15, 2009 20:18

This was my first Stones show. I remember the first show on the 14th had got on sale and sold out before I bought a ticket. They then announced this second show, which had a 3:00 or 3:30pm start time on a week day. They said that they had to start it this early due to the amount of time needed to transport the equipment to the next destination. I think the tickets went on sale only about 2 weeks before the show (correct me if I'm wrong) and on a weekday. I recall skipping a couple hours of school and going to downtown Seattle to buy the tickets which at the time were an expensive $15 or so.

I was in my last year of high school and I remember I skipped my last couple of classes on the 15th and went down to the show with my brother. We had GA floor tickets and got fairly close to the stage. We had to get through The Greg Kihn Band and The J Geils Band before the Stones went on stage around 6:00pm. Geils had just released their soon to be massive Freeze Frame album and I recall them playing some of those songs.

It's hard for me to remember exact details of how the individual Stones were on stage, but I loved the show. I missed the Steel Wheels tour completely, so this was the only time I saw Bill Wyman on stage. At the time I barely owned any Stones music, but I knew just about every song they played and after seeing them live, I started to collect their albums bit by bit.

The show ended somewhere around 8:15-8:30pm which is usually before the Stones ever go on stage.

I've never seen the full bootleg DVD of this show or heard a CD of it, but I really should get a copy to help refresh my memories.

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: October 15, 2009 20:49

I saw the show the night before & I was bored to tears. I heard the arvo show on the 15th was much better.

Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: October 15, 2009 21:11

My first Stones show, age 16. I live up in Victoria, B.C. and when they announced that first show on the 14th a stereo store in town that often did package bus tours to concerts in Vancouver and Seattle announced one morning that they would be doing a Stones bus tour. My friend and I skipped class and headed downtown, ran out of gas, then ran the rest of the way to the store to get our tickets. Came back to school at lunchtime, crowing and waving our tickets around. Of course, once they announced that second show, tix were really easy to come by, so I sold my spot on the bus and bought one for the second show. Funny now to think that everyone assumed it would be our last chance to see the band !

As for the show itself, I remember trying in vain for quite some time to buy some weed or hash since we couldn't bring any over the border. We had one floor seat and 4 or 5 300 (nosebleed) level tix, which we shared. I got to be on the floor for J. Geils Band and they were awesome, really high energy. The Woofer Goofer is an outstanding frontman, that's for sure. Though I wouldn't admit it at the time, I found the Stones set a little disappointing, mainly because they seemed so loose. I remember thinking it was worth it just for Tumbling Dice, of course. When I listen to the show now, though, or watch the dvd, it's really quite rockin'. I've looked for myself on the dvd in those panning shots of the 300 level at the end of the gig, to no avail. Very visible throughout most of the show, though, is my next-door neighbor Andrew Roberts' huge Canadian flag right up front on the floor. There was a pretty large contingent from up north at that second show and when Mick acknowledged us at one point, the noise was substantial.

Posted by: jeanmarie ()
Date: October 15, 2009 21:22

hi jonathan

Posted by: jeanmarie ()
Date: October 15, 2009 21:29

report from seattle Post Intelligencer

Date: October 16, 2009 10:54

Many many thanks for these exiting reviews !

Actually I saw the Stones only one year later in my hometown (June 1982 ) but something had already changed ....Keith has his back turned on the audience ,Jagger seemed sick about it ...they didn't sound and look as rough as in the Seattle video .

Thanks zack for correcting me with "much/many " Much appreciated.

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-16 18:27 by SwayStones.

Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: October 16, 2009 11:31

I was a little too young to see the Stones on this tour..having been born the day of the first Boulder show. But I did get this show on bootleg, having heard it was one of the best shows from 1981. Best version of "Let It Bleed" I ever heard.

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: October 16, 2009 17:52

loveyoulive75
I do of course have the soundboard recording, but not the video (not a big '81 fan compared to other tours) but haven't heard it in a while. I don't remember anything overly spectacular about the boys' playing or performance (probably be in my personal listening a lot more if there was)...I'm guessing it was more or less an average 1981 concert.

Actually the 2nd Seattle show is one of the better '81 shows. I'd probably place it in the top 10-15 from that tour. Just my opinion though.

The first Seattle show wasn't so good.

Date: October 16, 2009 18:51

The arvo show started at 1400.

Date: October 16, 2009 18:52

Jeanmarie, did I send you those newspaper clips?

Date: October 20, 2009 16:18

Tumblin_Dice_07
loveyoulive75
I do of course have the soundboard recording, but not the video (not a big '81 fan compared to other tours) but haven't heard it in a while. I don't remember anything overly spectacular about the boys' playing or performance (probably be in my personal listening a lot more if there was)...I'm guessing it was more or less an average 1981 concert.

Actually the 2nd Seattle show is one of the better '81 shows. I'd probably place it in the top 10-15 from that tour. Just my opinion though.

So the video is from the 2d show ?

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: October 20, 2009 18:16

SwayStones
Tumblin_Dice_07

So the video is from the 2d show ?

No there are video's from both Seattle '81 shows. The first one was Oct. 14th, 1981 and it's the weaker of the two shows, performance-wise. The video and sound quality is not very good either. The second Seattle show was from the following day, Oct. 15th, and it's a much better performance and the video and sound quality are much better as well.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1945
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home