Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

anybody seeeeeeeeen my Chippy
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 9, 2006 23:18

Chippy my dear, i don't know if you saw my question about those gorgeous photos you posted for my birthday,
so here i am nudging you again: [iorr.org]

i recognize the two middle ones, from 75, but i would dearly love to know more about the first and fourth ones - thank you thank you thank you
and have some fresh popcorn, confetti, raisin toast, etc. :E

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Re: anybody seeeeeeeeen my Chippy
Posted by: chippy ()
Date: January 9, 2006 23:21

hi with sssoul , i got 2 dig them up , ill post the info on this post later......
the 1st pic it says the year 1967 , the 2nd pic i edited , heres the real 1 , keith with the Father of White Blues , The Late Alexis Korner , no date on this 1 , your guess as good as mine , ill guess 1973,, no info on who took these photos

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2006-01-10 03:02 by chippy.

Date: January 9, 2006 23:28

thank you thank you - the historical record thanks you too!
have some shepherd's pie - it's pretty good tonight. :E

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: January 10, 2006 12:00

BTW: Anyone have the recipe of Shepherd´s?
Something to celebrate the anniversay now on Jan 14 with??

Date: January 10, 2006 12:29

thank you so much, Chippy my dear!
the state of Keith's front tooth in that one leads me to believe it's from the later 70s - in 73 he only had about half of that tooth.
he had it fixed in 75; but there was also a brief spell in 71 when he seems to have had it temporarily repaired
(or maybe repaired it himself, using a chip of flint and some of Anita's sequins)
so ... hm, i will keep researching that one. thank you again!
and have some popcorn. or some leftover shepherd's pie ...

... which i make like this - i'm a sort of jazz cook, sorry! but it's all in the feel, baby:

1] first boil about a kilo of potatoes, then make mashed potatoes out of them (with butter, milk, salt & pepper, as usual).
2] chop an onion and brown it along with some ground beef (or a combination of beef and lamb, or soyburger if you don't do meat -
but then i believe it's properly called gardener's pie).
(ahem: "how much is some?" oh a few handfuls - 2/3rds of a kilo, maybe? enough. :E oh and salt it and so on, as usual.)
3] add whatever vegetables you like to the meat/onion mixture: peas, carrots, celery, stuff like that. no beans, though - Keith has made that abundantly clear. :E
4] put the meat/onion/vegetable mixture in a casserole dish; dump a can of condensed cream of mushroom soup over it and mix it.
(cream of celery also works - but since canned soup doesn't occur in my habitat, i make mushroom gravy instead, using whatever recipe i find on the floor.)
5] remember your mashed potatoes from step 1? spread them lovingly on top of the meat/vegetable mixture in the casserole dish.
make pretty designs in the surface with a fork. sprinkle on a little (just a *little!*) cayenne pepper.
6] shove the whole thing into the oven and heat it until it's right.
7] good luck - no no, i mean: bon apetit. :E

- Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-01-10 12:50 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 10, 2006 12:40

Left - Shepherds Pie - Stade de France, Paris 25 July 1998Dan Einzig.
Right - Shepherds Pie Cake - Jane Rose.

ROCKMAN

Date: January 10, 2006 12:41

Zillion thanx!!! grinning smiley

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: January 10, 2006 13:13

ummmm- looks good. I'm hungry.

Aren't RS.com selling a limited edition, shepherds pie, with the tongue logo, emblazened on top, to go with the R.S wine?

Date: January 10, 2006 13:15

That would be on keithrichards.com smiling smiley

Date: January 10, 2006 14:18

Withsssoul; (btw) Are ya sure yer name aint Patti Hansen... ?

Date: January 10, 2006 14:32

ummm ... [checking papers] ... pretty sure! :E

Posted by: barking paul ()
Date: January 10, 2006 16:34

Shepherds Pie should contain lamb not beef, after all whoever heard of a shepherd looking after cattle.

Cottage Pie however is similar but made from minced beef.

Either are great winter fuel, making them is pretty easy, but finding a restaurant that'll sell them is a problem, even here in the UK ('greasy spoon' caffs are your best bet).

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: January 10, 2006 16:36

i differ from Keith, in that i like beans, in mine.
Lots of HP sauce and bread and butter, too.

Date: January 10, 2006 17:10

>> Shepherds Pie should contain lamb not beef, after all whoever heard of a shepherd looking after cattle. <<

smile: ahh but maybe the shepherd has grown too fond of the lambs to grind them up for dinner.
no no, i mean: i'm sure you're right - and i was raised on the lamb + beef version.
but when Keith gives his recipe he doesn't mention lamb at all,
and after nigh on 43 years as a Keithbabe ... why fight it, you know? :E

- Keith

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: January 10, 2006 17:18

Here's another version given by the good Johanna about a year ago:

And here's your recipe for "Cottage Pie" (with minced beef) or "Sheperd's Pie" (same thing but made with minced lamb) out of Nigella Lawton's book HOW TO EAT

600g floury potatoes 100g button mushrooms (optional)
60g butter 250g beef or lamb, minced
1 medium onion 1 tablespoon flour
1 medium carrot 50ml Marsala wine or apple juice
1 clove garlic 200g tinned tomatoes
1/2 stick celery 1 teaspoon soy or Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons oil

Peel the potatoes , cut them into chunks and put them in a pan of cold, salted water. Bring to the boil and cook till soft enough to mash easily; this could take from 25 to 45 minutes depending on the size of the chunks. Drain them and put them back in the pan over the heat for 1 minute to dry off. Then mash: the easiest way is to push them through a potato ricer and then beat in the butter; remember you want a stiff mash to top the meat, not a near-liquid puree.
Put the peeled onion, carrot and garlic clove with the celery , all cut into rough chunks, into the food processor and blitz (or chop finely by hand). Heat the oil in a medium-sized frying pan with a sturdy bottom, and preferably a lid, and stir in the chopped vegetables. Cook for a good 10 minutes until soft, then add the mushrooms, sliced thinly, if wanted. You may want to add a knob of butter at this stage, too. After 2 minutes, add the meat, pushing and breaking it up with a wooden spoon or spatula. You want it to unclump and lose its pinkness. Sprinkle over the flour and stir well, then add the Marsala wine or apple juice, then the tomatoes and soy sauce OR Worcestershire sauce . Stir well, cover and let simmer for 20 minutes. Uncover, prod, taste and cook for about another 10 minutes, by which time the meat should be cooked and not too liquid.
Put into 2 small oval ovenproof dishes or one larger one measuring about 25 cm at its largest point and top with the mashed potato. If you want the top crispy, dot with butter and put it under a hot grill-sprinkling on grated cheese first, perhaps-for a few minutes.

One comment: the original source of all these dishes comes from the times when Brits used to have their traditional "Sunday Roast", a great big chunk of meat, which was never totally eaten up by the family, so that the housewife would then make meals for the rest of the week from the leftover meat. So, traditionally, and surely when Keith was a boy, it used to be made from already cooked meat which the lady of the house minced herself....I've made pies in this fashion with all sorts of leftover cold meats, but you have to allow for enough stock to mix with the meat, otherwise the mixture is much too dry. By far the yummkiest I ever made was a pie with loads of leftover roasted duck!!!

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Date: January 10, 2006 17:28

That 'Sunday Roast' lunch still prevails across the land, though the leftovers these days are more likely to end up in a curry than a pie.

Date: January 10, 2006 17:31

...And I think Demented BB asked that time too grinning smiley
Felt a déja vú...
...Still havent tried it out yet...
Gotta take a day soon; yet I have so much reindeer meat I gotta
treat first... Shepherds pie with reindeer meat, someone?
The whatchers of the reindeers are herders too, actually...

Thanks Greg for postin anyway!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-01-10 17:32 by Baboon Bro.

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: January 10, 2006 17:43

You're exonerated, BB, it was the undersigned who required the recipe and who hasn't made it either. But he will try it soon. It's the right time of year, innit?

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Date: January 10, 2006 17:54

Phu.
...But, anyway: if a VIP law suit I´m involved in
turns out right; I´ll invite ya all for a reindeer feast some day!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-01-10 20:30 by Baboon Bro.

Date: January 10, 2006 20:09

'Rein(deer) Fall Down'........just so that they can end up in someones' pie.

Date: January 10, 2006 20:51

>> 'Rein(deer) Fall Down'........just so that they can end up in someones' pie. <<

in someone else's pie, i presume -
tasting better all the time.

Date: January 10, 2006 22:46

>> the state of Keith's front tooth in that one leads me to believe it's from the later 70s -
in 73 he only had about half of that tooth. he had it fixed in 75 ... i will keep researching ... <<

i know you're all pining for an update on this research - or rather, you know i hate inadvertently strewing historical misinformation around.
the intrepid BrownEyedGirll pointed out that Keith's tooth repair clearly took place between october and december 74 (there's before-and-after footage to prove it).
she further pointed out that Keith did some recording with Alexis Korner in London in january 75, so that's one real likely date for that photo.
december 76 is another plausible-seeming date for it - Keith was in London then too.
thank you Chippy - for the cool photo and for the fine research adventures. :E

- Keith

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: January 10, 2006 23:31

Rockman,that s a nice pie,gettin...hungry!!!!How you guys ''down under'''make those pie s???I wonder.

Date: January 10, 2006 23:46

Yeah pies are a big thing down here...meat & pastry with plenty of tomato sauce.
Ya bite into them and 9 outta 10 times the meat dribbles down ya arm...but not big on pastry so haven't had one for years.

Then there's the "Pie Floater" which is popular over in South Australia...big plate of mashed peas with the meat pie floating in the middle of it...kinda glad it never took off here....

ROCKMAN

Date: January 10, 2006 23:51

I never ate kangeroo!!!! how does it feel!!!!!!

Date: January 10, 2006 23:52

Well it's kinda hard to eat....keeps jumping off ya plate!!!!

ROCKMAN

Date: January 11, 2006 00:53

What a drag ''rock''its only jumping!!!cheers.

Date: January 11, 2006 01:30

re:Rockman and the 'Pie Floater'

(beef) Pie n'(mushy) peas is still a very popular dish in the North of England, which unlike the aforementioned Shepherds and Cottage pies is widely available.

Date: January 11, 2006 02:18

Ah yeah suppose I should have said "Hopping" off the plate....Roo meat well I've only tried a few times...dark red meat, low fat content...but I'm not a big meat eater.

ROCKMAN

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 928
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home