Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Sway Live??
Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: October 13, 2009 22:43

Yep studio version is Charlie's finest hour. Ever.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: October 13, 2009 22:52

The rhythm guitar, the intro, etc, is Mick Jagger.

Date: October 13, 2009 22:52

Not talking about the guitar tone or sound of Monkey Man - the PERFORMANCE of it!

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: October 13, 2009 23:12

skipstone
Not talking about the guitar tone or sound of Monkey Man - the PERFORMANCE of it!

Monkey Man relies on Keith to play a riff all the way through,and the song is steady as a rock,Sway doesn't and to be honest he sounds a bit lost and the whole thing is a bit of a mess.And Mick can't sing it of course.

Date: October 13, 2009 23:30

Imagine that. Keith played on Saint Of Me just fine. Why can't he on Sway?

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: October 13, 2009 23:40

SwayStones
justsway
M.T. perform Sway years ago together with a women (I just forget the name). I donĀ“t like the voice from her but the guitar from M.T. at this song is great
Carla Olson ?

Yeah, they do Sway, Silver Train, Winter, You Gotta Move and a great version of Broken Hands. Mick kicks a-s all over it. Of course this is from the early 90s,isnt it? Theres also an instrumental of Think I'm Going Mad . I dont think its part of the concert(?) Its the last song on disc 2 but it makes me wonder if maybe that song was actually started under MT's tenure. I dont know.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: October 13, 2009 23:49

They did not have Mick Taylor playing live so they should not do it!! Please MT has been gone for 35 years!! Is it as good as would have been had they played it in 1973 No!! I do have a version from Columbous Ohio and it rocks!

Date: October 13, 2009 23:50

skipstone
Imagine that. Keith played on Saint Of Me just fine. Why can't he on Sway?

Well i was going to say it was because he didn't play on it but he didn't play on Saint of Me either so who knows,but it made the live versions of Sway pretty unlistenable along with the all the other reasons

Date: October 13, 2009 23:56

He also played - live, of course, which is what we're talking about, these non-Keith studio tracks - on Moonlight Mile.

That's about it isn't it? He is on the Undercover Of The Night recording, right?

Date: October 14, 2009 00:12

Well i'd contend that the live Moonlight Mile wasn't that wonderful either.I also think that his playing generally dropped a level from 2002 onwards for obvious reasons and added to that he's happy to sail through non-warhorses just playing odd licks here and there which can be pretty frustrating to listen to.Sway is a perfect example.

Date: October 14, 2009 00:23

Kind of makes one wonder, why bother then eh?

Date: October 14, 2009 00:31

$$$$$$$

Also they can be great live still,Twickenham 2 2006 was as good as i've seen them but pointing out Keiths(and Micks)latter day shortcomings isn't a groundbreaking concept.Sway,an unfamiliar song has them both below their best and the song suffers accordingly

Posted by: bigmac7895 ()
Date: October 14, 2009 01:04

Since it appears there are a few newbies on the board asking about who played the intro to Sway- it was Jagger. Taylor & Jagger worked together several times without Keith in the studio. Bitch was completely done without a solo and Keith came in and played the solo and the song was complete.

Also, Winter is Jagger on intro rhythm and has no Keith on the track unless he played bass in Bill's absence. Bill was out frequently during the Goat's sessions.

Posted by: KingBeeCologne ()
Date: October 15, 2009 06:36

For what I know
Keith was never into the recording of this great song. Jagger did all the rhythm guitar...

Raw Iguanab

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: October 15, 2009 07:10

SwayStones
What do you think of this live version ? There are some notes missing ,aren't they ?

In that Glasgow Sway clip poor Keith needs to take off that baseball hat because he looks like an old northern geezer who retired to walk around the streets of Florida. . ..

Still at New York MSG, Ohio, etc, I like the way Sway was played. I thought they did well, all things considered.

Posted by: squando ()
Date: October 15, 2009 16:23

Yeah unless Mick let's it rip and the others actually learn the f'king song - the Stones others that is - not the entourage - the song will suck live. No matter they'll never do it again anyways. CYHMK was kinda the same - need those Jagger cords doing their job or it's just a waste of time really.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: October 15, 2009 16:55

I was lucky enough to see it live for the very first time, on my birthday to top it off, in Columbus OH. I thought it was absolutely fantastic. Maybe it was just the thrill of getting to hear a song live that was a complete surprise.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 15, 2009 17:43

Eleanor Rigby
downagain
Nope. Didn't happen in the Taylor era.

...and didn't happen in the Ronnie-era...unless you think the stuff heard during the Bigger-bang tour is Sway ??

You are right on this one. It didn't happen in the Ronnie era. The stuff you referred happen in the Vegas Era, or, if you like more, the Chuck era.

- Doxa

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 15, 2009 17:51

For a change, something positive of that Clasgow '06 performance of "Sway".

Even though there is not much passion or power in Mick's delivery, there is one positive feature that he manages to get through very nicely: "Sway" has a beautiful basic melody line, I think one of the nicest lines the Twins have ever done. (One can play it by a piano, and it sounds mighty fine). They could have done a beautiful ballad out if it, but - fortunately - they decided to turn it as a dark, bluesy rock song.

One more thing (of the original recording): "Sway" is a perfect number two song in a context of an album. Probably the strongest 'second' ever? "Hand of Fate" is another typical 'this song is made to be released as number two'.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-15 17:58 by Doxa.

Posted by: kittypoo ()
Date: October 15, 2009 17:56

I saw them in Anaheim California for No Security and they did this but Mick was sick ( he kept blowing his nose ) and it was a strange show . Besides Ron playing Taylors parts didn't do justice although he tried .

Date: October 15, 2009 17:57

It is exactly for all the reasons mentioned in this thread that I don't think "Let it Loose" should even be a contender on our lists of "What song do you wish they would do?"
Song like "Let it Loose", "Winter", "Jigsaw Puzzle" ride on the lead vocal performance (unless they seriously alter the feel and arrangement of the song for stage), and Jagger just doesn't care about hitting the slow blues tour de force numbers anymore. Even "Love in Vain" is gone from setlists. He is all about stadium shows, and what they (in his mind) require. I use to think he was just as mesmerizing standing glued to the mike, than when he did the crazy stuff.
IMO just another reason for the Stones to go 'small'. Last time Jagger turned a club upside down was those shows where they did "That's how strong my love is" and "Heart of Stone".

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: October 16, 2009 03:48

It was wonderful in Atlanta.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: October 16, 2009 04:08

It was wonderful in Atlanta.

Likewise here in S.Florida on same tour -but at the moment not sure how close the Atlanta and Sunrise tour versions are.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-16 04:53 by Chris Fountain.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: October 16, 2009 04:47

most of the problem with the bang version of sway is micks reserved vocal performance, its a song that requires him to scream at times and he didnt even come close to that classic vocal track, i really didnt think woody was all that bad to be honest

Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: October 16, 2009 07:48

I'm sorry, but the Stones had no right to play Sway, CYHMK, or Moonlight Mile without Mick Taylor (God help them if they even think about doing Time Waits for No One).
I'm probably being delusional, but with Ronnie's current problems and knowing how Jagger feels, I think a Stones reunion with Mick T might not be so far-fetched now. (Hell, Van Halen got back together with David Lee Roth, so anyhting's possible.)
As for the question about a live "Sway" during the MT era, there's no known recording or record of it. According to Bill, they did play "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" and "Wild Horses" during the first 1971 show, but I don't think a recording has surfaced.
And speaking of Mr. Wyman, the Stones had no right to play Miss You or Just My Imagination without him either.

Posted by: Grison ()
Date: October 16, 2009 08:50

@stevecardi
To me it seems like for some of you times go never by. Although Mick Taylor was in the recording at those times I am happy to seen that they come up with SWAY and specially Can't you hear me knocking which is finally a nice change to Midnight Rambler which I love, but as a change.
Mick Taylore would not be able today to play even some of the chords he has done in the early 70ies. Ronnie Wood may not be the best guitar player in the world but he does his best on these songs as well as Mick and Keith and Charly.
Sorry to say, but if all of those moaners would stay away from the concerts we would have very nice medium size shows.
Of course they do better good and worse concerts. But it is always the Rolling Stones and Ronnie is now with them for more than 30 years.
And also do not forget what you get to see and hear today is not the Rolling Stones 1973 0r earlier. It's the Rolling Stones Bid Band. Pretty easy.

And I hope that Big Band will still deliver some nice shows. Perhpas they could name it: An evening with MJ, KR, CW, RW and friends.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 16, 2009 09:03

stevecardi
I'm sorry, but the Stones had no right to play Sway, CYHMK, or Moonlight Mile without Mick Taylor (God help them if they even think about doing Time Waits for No One).
I'm probably being delusional, but with Ronnie's current problems and knowing how Jagger feels, I think a Stones reunion with Mick T might not be so far-fetched now. (Hell, Van Halen got back together with David Lee Roth, so anyhting's possible.)
As for the question about a live "Sway" during the MT era, there's no known recording or record of it. According to Bill, they did play "Can't You Hear Me Knocking" and "Wild Horses" during the first 1971 show, but I don't think a recording has surfaced.
And speaking of Mr. Wyman, the Stones had no right to play Miss You or Just My Imagination without him either.

Really it is ridiculous to say the Stones have "no right" to perform certain songs without Mick Talyor. OF COURSE THEY DO! And it was thrilling to see them do Can't You Hear Me Knocking on the Licks tour! FANTASTIC> And I applaud they are attempting Sway and Moonlight Mile.
And yes you are right no live recording of CYHMK from the 71 tour has surfaced. Perhaps its in the vaults.

Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: October 16, 2009 09:44

Let me correct myself. What I should have said was that they shouldn't have attempted Sway, Knocking, or MM without MT because his style suited those specific songs better than Ronnie's. I love Ronnie's playing All Down The Line, Love In Vain, Star Star and Wild Horses. And furthermore, I don't think MT's style would have suited great Stones songs like Respectable, Neighbors, Black Limo, and especially Beast Of Burden.
Sorry about the poor choice of words on my post. I've been up for two days due to heavy stress and apnia. And yes, I too am happy the Stones are still around and rocking (probaly the only band still around where I pay high ticket prices to see.) Indeed, my ideal dream tour would be a "complete Stones tour", where Mick, Keith, Ronnie, Charlie, Bill and Mick T all got together and went out on the road.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1916
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home