Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Sway Live??
Posted by: slakka ()
Date: October 13, 2009 05:14

Dear Stones Fans,

Can I learn of any Mick T. era live performances of this excellent song please?

Re: Sway Live??
Posted by: downagain ()
Date: October 13, 2009 05:24

Nope. Didn't happen in the Taylor era.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: October 13, 2009 05:36

and thats a darn shame IMO

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: October 13, 2009 05:41

Sway Is an interesting song. My impression of it is that they were trying to do a rock song but something that sounded completely different than what a stones song usually sounds like. It resulted in something really good.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 13, 2009 10:36

Yeah ryanpow, adding the strings really changed their sound and made a very unique sounding "rock" song. And stellar vocals by Jagger the dagger.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: October 13, 2009 10:48

What do you think of this live version ? There are some notes missing ,aren't they ?

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: justsway ()
Date: October 13, 2009 11:06

M.T. perform Sway years ago together with a women (I just forget the name). I don´t like the voice from her but the guitar from M.T. at this song is great

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: October 13, 2009 11:14

justsway
M.T. perform Sway years ago together with a women (I just forget the name). I don´t like the voice from her but the guitar from M.T. at this song is great
Carla Olson ?

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: justsway ()
Date: October 13, 2009 11:16

I think so....it could be

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: October 13, 2009 16:17

SwayStones
justsway
Carla Olson ?

It is definitely so: It's on Mick Taylor, Carla Olson: Too Hot for Snakes Plus (2008/1991). It is official stuff.

Posted by: squando ()
Date: October 13, 2009 16:28

It was a waste of time last tour. Jagger singing within himself and concentrating more on directing traffic because Keith, Ronnie and Charlie didn't know the f'n changes.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: October 13, 2009 16:51

You mean whatever it is they played that was called Sway on the Bang tour counts as a live performance?

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: October 13, 2009 17:10

downagain
Nope. Didn't happen in the Taylor era.

...and didn't happen in the Ronnie-era...unless you think the stuff heard during the Bigger-bang tour is Sway ??

Posted by: WMiller ()
Date: October 13, 2009 17:21

RobertJohnson
SwayStones
justsway
Carla Olson ?

It is definitely so: It's on Mick Taylor, Carla Olson: Too Hot for Snakes Plus (2008/1991). It is official stuff.

Find this and give it a listen. Taylor is SCORCHING! Olson's vocals do detract, but if you wanna hear Taylor at possibly his finest moment, you can overlook them.

Posted by: Tate ()

Even on the Sticky Fingers album, Sway is sloppy. It's a very loose sounding song, that came of sounding great on SF... but 30+ years later it sounds a bit off on stage.

Posted by: T&A ()

single greatest solo MT's has every laid down - the version with Carla - aka "MT's Revenge on the Stones"

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: October 13, 2009 17:26

its likely that constant requests from serious Stones fans (like us) is why they attempted it live.
it really didn't work too well without MT. at least they listened to their fans and tried it.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: October 13, 2009 17:31

I commend them for trying and it was not that bad.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: October 13, 2009 17:32

But they play Monkey Man as if it was yesterday.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: October 13, 2009 17:35

I've never cared for the live versions of Monkey Man - they just can't seen to get a good guitar sound.

Date: October 13, 2009 17:35

duke richardson
its likely that constant requests from serious Stones fans (like us) is why they attempted it live.
it really didn't work too well without MT. at least they listened to their fans and tried it.

i agree...but it became obvious how much of an MT song this was when it was done without him. also, jagger completely flubbed the vocal...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-13 17:35 by T&A.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: October 13, 2009 17:45

Carla Olson sure sang it well. Jagger's vocal on the album sounds so live, as if it was a first take.
and Keith later said he didn't play on it...so the intro is Jagger on guitar? or MT? I've wondered..

Date: October 13, 2009 17:49

duke richardson
Carla Olson sure sang it well. Jagger's vocal on the album sounds so live, as if it was a first take.
and Keith later said he didn't play on it...so the intro is Jagger on guitar? or MT? I've wondered..

i'll leave it to the experts on who opens the song...i'd asssume MT...

i agree - i think Carla nailed the vocals - mac grinding away on organ adds the right fuel, too. it's amazing how well the band sets the background for MT's insane guitar work....just one of the greatest rock'n'roll excursions ever, imo....

Posted by: gripweed ()
Date: October 13, 2009 18:17

there is also a Video of MT/Carla Olson performing Sway in 1991
at a Club in So Cal, Google It

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: October 13, 2009 19:18

duke richardson

No one can touch Taylor on this song, but Ronnie did fine, even well, on several occasions. The problem with this song live was Jagger -- you can't sell this song and save your voice.

Posted by: Dear Doctor ()
Date: October 13, 2009 19:28

I was disappointed by their performance of this during a bigger bang. Jagger could not hit the high notes, terrible singing rendition. This is maybe his most powerful studio recording ever.

The band sounded like a trainwreck also, as usual the guitars were not distinguishable , and way too much of chuck leavels peter pan piano work.

Same can be said for their rendition of Moonlight Mile in 99

two of the best rock songs ever made , that they could not do live at these times

once again a nod to the great Mick Taylor

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: October 13, 2009 20:51

Psst... Mick... it's not a rehersal. People have shelled out a lot of dough for this. Sing like you CARE please!

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: October 13, 2009 21:27

duke richardson

Doesn't look like Keith played on the version included above either! grinning smiley

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: October 13, 2009 21:30

I think the guitar intro is Jagger, but I'll also defer to the experts

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: October 13, 2009 22:38

There is no reason to overlook the absolutely spot on drumming this track has.
Charlie was on fire during this session.

Perfect rolls and well placed offbeats.

Charlie helped MT sound that good.

Thanks Charlie

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1773
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home