Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT Bowie: "Heroes" Live
Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: October 11, 2009 20:53

MacPhisto
Thanks for your reply, Nikolai! I really wasn't aware of it being such an essential album and I'll definitely buy it, then. Sounds like an album that requires repeated listenings, though (which I actually like with an album if it rewards my repeated listening to it).

You're right about the MacPhisto/U2 reference. My registration here at the IORR message board coincided with my enthusiasm for U2's ZooTV/Zooropa era stuff (I still admire those tours and the concept behind them) smiling smiley

You see, I forgave U2 their mullet/chest beating/white flag waving pomposity because of everything they did between Achtung Baby (a masterpiece) and Pop (a maligned, underappreciated, undervalued, underrated gem for the most part). Unfortunately, they reverted to self-righteous pomposity thereafter ... Question is:when are we going to get the 4 CD Achtung Baby box set?

Anyway, think of Outside as Zooropa or Passengers as U2 would have liked to have made them, although nowhere near as immediate or accessible. The lead-off single from Outside was Heart's Filthy Lesson, an atonal, abrasive slab of squalling guitar, set to a murky rhythm and with completely obtuse lyrics. The rest of the album is and isn't in the same vein.

Consider this though: between 1995-96 songs from Outside appeared prominently in the soundtracks for several films. including Seven (Heart's Filthy Lesson), Lost Highway (I'm Deranged) and Basquiat (A Small Plot of Land). All three films have madness as their core theme.

If you liked Heathen, then think of Outside as Heathen in a blender. Trust me, it's great.

Date: October 11, 2009 20:55

I' ve decided that "Pop" is my favorite U2 album. I don't say this just to be different; I just have come in a circle with that one.

Date: October 11, 2009 21:35

Palace Revolution 2000
I' ve decided that "Pop" is my favorite U2 album. I don't say this just to be different; I just have come in a circle with that one.

It's a very good album, but I think they were scraping the barrel ideas-wise, which is probably why they reverted to the safety first option with their next album.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: October 11, 2009 21:57

The 80s Bowie discussion above led me to believe that someone on this thread may be able to provide the answer to this one:

Why was "Too Dizzy" removed from NEVER LET ME DOWN? It's on the original vinyl/CD, but it's missing from all the later reissues.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-11 22:19 by Glam Descendant.

Date: October 11, 2009 22:12

Glam Descendant
The 80s Bowie discussion above led me to believe that someone on this thread may be able to provide the answer to this one:

Why was "Too Dizzy" removed from NEVER LET ME DOWN? It's on the original vinyl/CD, but when it's missing from all the later reissues.

Simple: he hated the song and had it deleted from every reissue of the album. He said it was the worst thing he'd ever written on the worst album he'd ever made. He was right.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-11 22:13 by Nikolai.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: October 11, 2009 22:19

Really? I believe you but do you have a source for the quote? I'd like to read it. Thanks.

Date: October 12, 2009 00:34

Glam Descendant
Really? I believe you but do you have a source for the quote? I'd like to read it. Thanks.

A Q Magazine interview from ... 1989 (Tin Machine), 1990 (Sound &Vision),or 1992 (Black Tie). Not sure which.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 12, 2009 03:36

Nikolai
MacPhisto - not an oblique U2 reference there, per chance?

Anyway, you HAVE to buy Outside. It is, in my opinion, Bowie's Low/Heroes/Lodger/Scary Monsters for the 90s - startlingly original, challenging, experimental music that completely defied characterization or labels upon release. In short, it's a masterpiece. And nothing sounds like it. Even today.

Now, I'm a huge Bowie fan, but Outside is my favourite album of his.

Buy it.

I TOTALLY AGREE! 1.Outside is simply stunning! Bowie rebooted for the youngersters to ponder and question. Hard edged, beautiful melodies, dark and brooding, hard edged experimental...what's not to like! Really, an incredible feat considering most folks his age were resting on their laurrels??? ;-)
Re-teamed with Carlos Alamor, there is a weird funky edge to most songs, but the indulstrial grunge as counter weight left many stunned and confused. I was celebrating with joy when 1.Outside came out and took to it instantly...one of my top Bowie albums!

Posted by: CrazyDadda ()
Date: October 12, 2009 05:56

Anyone know of a good quality dvd audio rip of A Reality Tour, thanks!

Date: October 12, 2009 08:42

Well, it has sound issues, but the Reality DVD is probably the best and the full CD is being released soon as well...that would be probably the best. Borgata Kill Appeal is pretty good audience recording. And he does some cool Ziggy stuff on it as well.

Date: October 12, 2009 09:00

Is There A Bootleg Bowie Site?

Date: October 12, 2009 14:20

[www.david-bowie.net]

Crazy D, that should show a few.

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: October 12, 2009 15:38

CrazyDadda
Anyone know of a good quality dvd audio rip of A Reality Tour, thanks!

yes, I made myself one from the DVD BUT, the reality tour live cd will be released [www.iorr.org]

Date: October 13, 2009 07:33

Are There Any Reality Tour Soundboards?

Date: October 13, 2009 12:36

Nikolai, I pretty much gave up on Bowie uh...I don't even know, ages ago. But I always respect him. So you say "Outside" is a good album?

Date: October 13, 2009 12:50

Palace, 1.Outside is fantastic! REally you have to check it out. Also, Heathen is a true classic!

Date: October 13, 2009 13:23

Thank you whitem8 and Nikolai - I will for sure.

sorry - had misspelled Nikolai's name

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-13 13:24 by Palace Revolution 2000.

Posted by: iamthedj ()
Date: October 13, 2009 13:47

Palace Revolution 2000
Nikolai, I pretty much gave up on Bowie uh...I don't even know, ages ago. But I always respect him. So you say "Outside" is a good album?

Palace, you can never give up on Bowie. He always has something to offer. Outside is an amazing album. It might take some time to get into but once you get it it's a masterpiece. Heathen is also a must have. Dark, thoughtful, scary, thrilling. And for just some fun I'd get Earthling and Black Tie, White Noise too.

Date: October 13, 2009 13:55

Right on iamthedj! I like your name too! "I am what I play, can't turn around no, can't turn around no..."

Heathen is his modern Low. Complex and thrilling. And the voice. The Voice. THE VOICE! Has aged like fine wine.

Date: October 13, 2009 13:56

iamthedj
Palace Revolution 2000

Palace, you can never give up on Bowie. He always has something to offer. Outside is an amazing album. It might take some time to get into but once you get it it's a masterpiece. Heathen is also a must have. Dark, thoughtful, scary, thrilling. And for just some fun I'd get Earthling and Black Tie, White Noise too.

Question is, where do you stand on "Hours"? It's not a bad album at all, but I thought it was a bit lacklustre after Outside and, to a lesser extent, Earthling.

Date: October 13, 2009 14:13

Ok, I was actually whimping out and not taking a stand:-) I know Hours is not well liked among the Bowie base. But I love it! I loved it when it came out and still do. First, after Earthling it was great for him to go back to more pop/rock style. Hell he even grew his hair to look like Honky Dory. Seven is his modern Five Years. A great song, along with Survive. I love that song with the full acoustic build up.
Yeah, your are right Nikolai it is lackluster after 1.Outside, and yes to a lesser extent Earthling. The live shows from that tour are cool, and Storytellers is a great! Have you picked that up? Ok, there are a few glitches, I don't like the short version of Rebel Rebel...but to finally hear Drive in Saturday again! And Word on a Wing! Lovely.

Posted by: iamthedj ()
Date: October 13, 2009 16:29

I have to agree. I love Hours, too. I think it's a very emotional album. Lot's of regret and nostalgia (themes rarely explored in pop music). It's maybe his most beautifully recorded latter album. Really gorgeous. Thursday's Child, Survive, Seven,The Pretty Things Are Going To Hell and Dreaming My Life Away are my particular favourites. The Storytellers CD/DVD combo is a must have. "Can't read, nor write. Wasn't even f**king driving!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-13 16:35 by iamthedj.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: October 13, 2009 20:33

I remember when Outside came out, I read a review that said (not word-for word), 'imagine that David Bowie was abducted by aliens in 1981, replaced by a commercial pop-clone for the next 14 years aiming for chart success instead of maintaining exciting artistic exploration. Well the real David Bowie is back now kids.'

Now I love the Serious Moonlight era, but I understood what the reviewer was saying!

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: October 14, 2009 00:51

He does an excellent version, too...

(sounds better in-person.)

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 14, 2009 02:11

Wanton Witch of the Côte

P-u-u-l-e-e-a-z-e.....police!!....police!!

Sounds like the basement band next-door, raping all good songs there is to be found.

EDIT: sorry for sounding so angry - good for you if you like them. I just find it stupid with these people who make their fame for backing the "big guys".
There's a lot more feel and power in the local bands....who has never even played "a concert". Same questions I ask for the for the Blondie C****** person ...... why on earth does so many "RS fans" stand up for these guys? It has NOTHING to do with the strenght of the Rolling Stones.....I guess they missed the point, completely

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-14 03:13 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: October 14, 2009 02:24

Thanks for the videos. Probably my favorite David Bowie song.

Mike

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 14, 2009 03:13

- oops - nevermind; doublepost

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-14 03:14 by Erik_Snow.

Date: October 14, 2009 04:07

Erik_Snow
Wanton Witch of the Côte

P-u-u-l-e-e-a-z-e.....police!!....police!!

Sounds like the basement band next-door, raping all good songs there is to be found.

EDIT: sorry for sounding so angry - good for you if you like them. I just find it stupid with these people who make their fame for backing the "big guys".
There's a lot more feel and power in the local bands....who has never even played "a concert". Same questions I ask for the for the Blondie C****** person ...... why on earth does so many "RS fans" stand up for these guys? It has NOTHING to do with the strenght of the Rolling Stones.....I guess they missed the point, completely

Thank you very much for that post. Finally someone said it.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1230
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home