Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Abkco sacd's...and others...
Posted by: Roger457 ()
Date: December 20, 2005 05:32

I'm getting a Sony sacd player for Christmas and can't wait to hear the Abkco reissues in this format.

Can any of you that own an sacd player fill me in on what to expect??? Will it be a significant difference or only a subtle difference.

Also, can you guys and gals recommend any other sacd's available?? I saw on Amazon where some Creedence albums are available as sacd's. Has anybody heard any of these?? Comments??

Sorry for all the questions but I would appreciate some feedback from those that own an sacd player.

Roger

Re: Abkco sacd's...and others...
Posted by: swsfo ()
Date: December 20, 2005 07:03

IMO the sacd remasters make a considerable amount of difference; for example the Dylan remasters were marketed with the following info:

"You can never improve on the music, but wait until you hear the sound."

If you buy the sacd remasters let us know what you think...

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: December 20, 2005 07:21

i got a ccr sacd cosmo's factory , i cant wait 2 here these myself ,got that 1 just 4 Ramble Tamble, i dont hav a player yet either ,im waitin 2 upgrade, i may get a Denon i here they r great , i got alot of dif sacd , i heard stones sound great & dylan incredible but thats 2nd hand news , any1 has sacd player fill us in

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: December 20, 2005 07:42

ABKCO 16 Box set is remarkable. SACD renewed my perception.
I am falling in love again with Let's spend the night together of Flowers.

I think Gaucho by Steely Dan is the best in sound quality.

You can enjoy them more if you hook up a player to good audio system.

Date: December 20, 2005 17:30

Chippy,

I can't wait to hear Ramble Tamble myself!!!!!!!!!! Always one of my favorite ccr songs.

I have the sacd of Tommy which I'm looking forward to hearing.

Thanks for the responses.

Roger

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: December 20, 2005 18:02

unfortunately, SACD format is not going to last. Sony's marketing a new hi-fi format (blue light) for 2006. But, my fear is that any new hi-fi technology that is not compatible with portable (ipod) will never take off. unfortunately, size and convenience are winning the battle against fidelity.

having said that, the Stones and Dylan SACDs offer a truly remarkable listening experience.

Posted by: johang ()
Date: December 20, 2005 18:32

Yes T&A is rigth, save your money for something else. SACD is a waste + it has only 2 channels, so you never get the full sound such as DVD-Audio, which is better than SACD.

Date: December 20, 2005 19:34

Let It BLeed sounds really good on SACD. Beggar's Banquet I had heard many good things about but didn't like it as much. CAVEAT: Rumor has it that Abcko's future(present) pressings DO NOT Have the SACD layer. Check real close on the fine print before buying.

Posted by: stonesfan70 ()
Date: December 20, 2005 20:15

The 2002 issue Stones SACDs came in the cardboard digipak cases but it looks like the new non-SACD reissues are in regular plastic jewel cases.

Posted by: highanddry ()
Date: December 20, 2005 20:51

My advice to anyone interested in these Rolling Stones SACDs: GRAB 'EM FAST, while you still can.

It is my understanding from someone originally involved with the SACD project 3 years ago (NOT an ABKCO employee) that ABKCO has already deleted the SACDs of the Stones from their catalogue, and is now issuing the remasters only in standard CD format. (In fact, in some countries, the SACD/CD hybrids were never issued, such as Argentina and apparently Australia, which in 2003 got CD-only discs even then)

Obviously there is plenty of SACD stock left in stores almost everywhere you look, but if you really want these Stones SACDs, you ALSO need to doublecheck to make sure you are actually getting the SACDs, and not your plain vanilla CD versions.

And IMHO, the sound of these Stones SACDs is _phenomenal_. Wait until you hear the first 10 seconds of Gimme Shelter from LIB in SACD, the hair will stand on the back of your neck!!!!

I understand why people like the convenience of iPods and mp3s, but the sound quality isn't very good (it's "good enough", which is to say, it's a listening experience akin to a transistor radio in 1965...."good enough"). Convenience has apparently succeeded in killing a spectacular advancement in sound quality offered by the SACD. I think _that_ is a tragedy.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: December 20, 2005 21:06

I believe that most of the excitement for the sacd versions is due to the very poor quality of the normal versions (the originals CDs being better than the first remaster series which were absolutely a pile of shit).

I have a quite good system, including a record player, and I can tell you that what you get on the original LPs is what yuo get on the sacd (ok the sacd sound like NEW lps).

C

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: December 20, 2005 21:33

liddas Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>>
> I have a quite good system, including a record
> player, and I can tell you that what you get on
> the original LPs is what yuo get on the sacd (ok
> the sacd sound like NEW lps).
>

Precisely. But, that is exactly the whole point of SACD (and DVD-A) - to "widen the landscape" offered by the expansion of storage capacity offered on this format. There will never be anything in digital that can "out-perform" analog.

Posted by: stonesfan70 ()
Date: December 20, 2005 22:24

The type of people who prefer Ipods are not the type to spend extra money on high fidelity recordings.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: December 20, 2005 22:32

Hi Roger 457. Instead of getting a stand alone SACD player, which I'm assuming you're getting, perhaps you should get a DVD player that can play the SACD's? Sony makes a couple models and there are other name brands that also offer it. I believe LG or Samsung have/had a DVD player that was compatible with both SACD's and DVD Audio.

I have all the Stones remasters and they sound a bit better on the SACD layer. I actually bought the player because I knew the Stones collection was being released in that format. The Stones remasters were only in 2 track stereo. To appreciate the SACD sound fully, you should get Dark Side Of The Moon which is in full surround sound mode. There are several releases that are "hybrids" like the Stones releases. I bought the ABKCO Best of the Animals which sounds good. Also, Police Greatest Hits is a hybrid. Oasis What's the Story is a non hybrid which is in 5.1 surround mode. It sounds so much better than the regular CD version it's like night and day. Drums are alot crisper, guitars sound better, other instruments that are buried in the mix are suddenly audible.

Rolling Stone magazine had a free Sony SACD sampler in their 500th issue. Included were songs from Aerosmith, Billy Joel, Norah Jones, Elton John and a few others, all in 5.1 surround sound mode. Awesome!

It seems that the majority of new SACD releases are classical music.

The next major battle is already shaping up in regards to DVD's. I'm not fully up to speed on it, but it appears that Sony/Philips/Dell and a couple movie studios are for one format, while Panasonic and several other brands/studios are pushing their own format. They've met in the past to see if they can compromise but it seems that the two formats are so different that there's no halfway point you can get to. It's my understanding that the Sony format will be compatible with current DVD's while the Panasonic version isn't. Sounds like the whole VHS vs. BETA wars all over again, only 25 years later!

Date: December 21, 2005 01:13

I was at Best Buy today and picked up Dylans Blood On The Tracks and John Wesley Harding.

Can't wait to hear those in scad format.

I'm also very disappointed that the sacd format did not "take off" and will be a thing of the past. I will be buying all the sacd's I can get my hands on in the near future.

Thanks to all for responding to my post.

Roger

Date: December 21, 2005 01:35

Roger457 Wrote:
> I was at Best Buy today and picked up Dylans Blood
> On The Tracks and John Wesley Harding.
>
> Can't wait to hear those in scad format.

And Sony has already discontinued those SACDs from the Bob Dylan catalogue, and is now issuing them in plain vanilla CD-only format. I just hope that you actually bought the SACD versions, and that you didn't accidentally get the wrong thing.

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: December 21, 2005 02:06

all the dylan sacd's r here ,i got deep purple live on the bbc 1972 sacd here its also got 2 bonus tracks hush & river deep mountain high, highway star & smoke on water incredible on this 1 & mayb im a leo = wow

[store.acousticsounds.com]

Posted by: Jed Clever ()
Date: December 21, 2005 05:11

I have Sticky fingers, Exile, and Some Girls on the 180 gram vinyl eissues. sounds as good, if not better, when run through a high quality stero, than the sacd's IMO. Also, the artwork is really good.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: December 21, 2005 10:20

Hi Jed,

The three albums that you mentioned aren't available (unfortunately) on SACD.

Out of curiousity, what components make up your stereo?

Date: December 21, 2005 16:07

Jed Clever Wrote:
> I have Sticky fingers, Exile, and Some Girls on
> the 180 gram vinyl eissues. sounds as good, if
> not better, when run through a high quality stero,
> than the sacd's IMO.

When was the last time you listened to the SACDs of Sticky Fingers, Exile and Some Girls?

In what ways did your 180 gram vinyl sound better than the SACDs of those three albums?

BTW, I have an SACD of Elvis singing with Paul McCartney and Mick Jagger on a live version of the Stones infamous classic recording "CS Blues". I only wish I could find it in 180 gram vinyl to do a sound comparison.

;-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1988
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home