Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Jagger's Moves
Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: November 25, 2005 16:23

I just had to start a new thread for this. Was posting re RFD video and started thinking about all this Jagger thing.
No1 -in the 60's and 70's Jagger virtually invented 90% of de rigeur-rock-frontman-stage-moves. All these moves by the singers comne from Jagger. But the main thing is to me -it is natural. He has this totally natural coolness in his dancing, his sneering, his body talk. He was SO ORIGINAL and inventive. He was a joy to watch, and even if there were instances when he pissed people off, or they were disgusted by him, one thing was sure: you could not take your eyes off him. And one way or another you had to consider him, he was a force to be reckoned with, to be taken seriously.Then comes 78- his moves are so over the top that he literally redefines what is cool. I remmebr seeing him in 78 and he was bizarre. Right then and there I saw him moving in a ceratinb way and I was learning new things that were now deemed cool. before that day I would have thought them funny or silly but now they were ultra.
Then he gets this FREAKING bug up his ass. He gets a teacher or coach; who told him he need this?
he starts doing these ridiculous gestures with his arms. The grimacing on his face is a parody of Jaggerisms.There are other rubberfaced jump-abouts out there today who do a better Jagger than he does. And don't tell me that Jagger has moved on and does what he does by design. Jagger wants to be Mr Cool to the day he dies. (I was actually surprised that in the RFD video he didn't still insist on beibng the character on the bed with the young girl).
These moves he does today are terrible! No more soul. No more coolness. They are also stagnant. Since 90 he does the same lousy thing every time.
Jagger knew when to stand still. he has that charisma that many performers would kill for. he can stan there for Love in Vain with his hand on the mike and dominate an arena. But he just doesn't trust that anymore. Why does he think that he ca not carry it unless he prostitutes himself in this ridiculous way? There were some of thge young fans in the RFD thread who said flat out"We don't dig it". The middle era fanbs (like me) surely don;t dig it. We have seen all the good moves on film or even live. And the real, true hardcores who have been aboard all the time know the best Jagger ever in the flesh. Who wants, or demands this plastic, aerobic Jagger doll? Only Jagger himself?

Re: Jagger's Moves
Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: November 25, 2005 16:40

He copied a lot, Jim M. Iggy, Bowie, Tina, James Brown

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: November 25, 2005 16:40

Brian

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: November 25, 2005 17:07

Jagger does cause jagger can... period! Its part of the magic.
Is there possibly anything else that can be complained about?
How the friggin hell you gonna dance at 62????
I'm gonna be lucky if I could even possibly fit in his t-shirt less the rest..... now move on!

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 25, 2005 17:36

Bo.

does anyone else have/remember the Fox TV re-broadcast of the 89 Atlantic City show? it's not the full concert, and some of the camera angles are different from the pay-per-view version, and one of the moments i dearly love in it is at the very end of Tumbling Dice. Mick goes into this totally weird series of moves out of the blue: instead of dancing, he starts pantomiming - first an archer standing on one foot, who then turns into a village idiot completely baffled by the sight of his own hand. it's a total kinesthetic non sequiter: what archer on one foot, where did this village idiot come from, what does any of this have to do with Tumbling Dice or rock & roll or anything else?! it's 100% absurd, and it's brilliant. the cat's kinesthetic imagination, and his repertoire, is amazing.

another moment i dearly love is at Brixton Academy, during Like a Rolling Stone, when he starts bouncing straight up in the air like a ball. he just can't help it!
LoFL: how does it feeeeeeeeel?! :E

but i digress.
it took Mick Jagger decades to get through to me that he's brilliant at what he does whether it rings my bell or not. i still don't really get why he wants to do about 73% of what he does, but that's okay. he's doing just fine anyway.

some observations on what Mick does: [www.timeisonourside.com]

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Posted by: StonesBart ()
Date: November 25, 2005 18:08

Mick still dances with style and feeling! Check out this years MSG show, on SFTD he goes mad at one stage. It's cool and full of emotion.

Date: November 25, 2005 18:31

@with sssoul.

Man I would love to see that. Is there any change we can try to trade? bartnoordegraaf@hotmail.com Thanks.

Date: November 25, 2005 18:38

if i had any way to copy DVDs i would be happy to trade. but i don't, i'm sorry! i hope someone else can help you out.

Date: November 25, 2005 18:48

Yes, we once had a whole thread on that archer sequence. It is priceless.
Look, I am only comparing Jagger to Jagger. he is what he is. But nobody can deny what I feel; and the truth is he doesn't grab me anymore. I STILL can not even breathe when I watch the opening two songs from L&G. In Brown Sugar Jagger is the coolest ...being ever dreamt up by anyone! No doubt. And yes, in 89, 95, at EVERY show there are going to be moments that are divine. The thing is, Jagger used to exude magic everytime he turned. he does not today. But he COULD! That is my point! He is the one who IMO is trying as hard as p[ossible to take the magic away. These rehearsed moves kill the spontaneity that gives us these great moments.
Every thing anyone has metioned as example here is somethign out of the momenbt. Does anyone here really think that the real cool Jagger is the one who does those jerky ass wiggling moves with arms waving that look like they come straight from the aerobic class? No. They DO come fro the aerobic class.

PS I am starting to not get posters who constantly say "move on" to any topic. excuse me, move on to what? That is the whole poiunt of IORR. For us to come here and blab about everyhting that p[ops into our collective heads Stoneswise.

Date: November 25, 2005 19:05

I agree with you on the rehearsed dances. Where is that good for? He was fine without them. But I still don't believe many of his movies aren't coming straight from his emotions. Or maby I don't want to believe..
Chelsea do you have the DVD with the archer sequence?

Date: November 25, 2005 19:11

Bart I know for sure I have it. When we had the thread a while back I watched it again. And I remember it being on a fairly easily found, major show. But feo the life of me I wouldn't know where to start. I have it on VHS and that is one ugly dusty pile of tapes, mostly unlabeled. I bet soemone else here knows.

Date: November 25, 2005 19:15

>> And I remember it being on a fairly easily found, major show. But feo the life of me I wouldn't know where to start. <<
never fear, ChelseaDrugstore honey - i just said where it is, in that post you responded to: the Fox TV rebroadcast of Atlantic City 89.
which i've just rewatched, and i got it backwards up there: it's the village idiot who morphs into an archer, not the other way round. pardon!

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-11-25 20:11 by with sssoul.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1292
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home