Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT: Rod Stewarts New Soul-Album
Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: October 1, 2009 21:38

Elmo Lewis
pike bishop
Why are we discussing this Tosser ?

One of the best voices in rock history. Several Stones connections. A showman second only to Jagger. Hangs out with good looking chicks. Hell, he sounds like me.

Elmo Lewis
V

smileys with beer thumbs up smiling bouncing smileythumbs up smileys with beer

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: October 1, 2009 23:02

TALK ABOUT SOMONE WHO HAS REALLY, REALLY RUN OUT OF IDEAS!.

Go away, Rod

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: October 2, 2009 02:51

For once, I actually find myself agreeing with mickscarey!

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: October 2, 2009 03:02

pike bishop
Why are we discussing this Tosser ?

We're not talking about you.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: October 2, 2009 20:06

Go see a Rod-show.. Its blast-full of energy and great music..
Then, afterwards, do return with the bashing.

Posted by: Sleepy City ()
Date: October 2, 2009 20:16

Toru A
15 It's All In The Game (The Four Tops)

I wouldn't really call 'It's All In The Game' a Four Tops song, although they had a big hit with it in 1970. Rod would be familer with the 1958 original by Tommy Edwards which was a UK number 1, as well as Cliff Richard's number 2 hit in 1963.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 2, 2009 20:18

all in the game also covered by van morrison and it's been a staple of his setlist for decades now....

Posted by: moosman ()
Date: October 3, 2009 22:41

The weird thing about "All In The Game", is that its melody dates back to 1911. It wasn't a soul tune at all. In fact, it was composed by a man who later became Calvin Coolidge's vice president. Now you know the rest of the story.

Date: October 3, 2009 22:47

probably the most lasting aspect to calvin's entire presidency....

Posted by: cirrhosis ()
Date: October 4, 2009 01:40

Rod's new Sessions boxset is essential. Even the 80s tracks sound good, since they appear stripped of their dated production values.

Date: October 4, 2009 07:05

Rod´s just capitalizing on what, since that first standards one, unexpectedly sold monstruously. 3 standards albums and one rock standards after, it seems it keeps selling very well. I guess in the middle of the great debacle of the CD , ater the beginning in the CDR/MP3 era, the music industry, or at least what´s left of it must be drooling about these album$ by him and I can imagine every
efffort being made by the money men to back up and convince him to do these $tuff.

Alright, if someone deserves to get more money, he´s one of them. A great artist, perahps one the best white voices on rock ever. And never really valued as such. But, what´s next? A country album, then a folk album,etc? Like has been said above, if he opted instead in choosing obscure and/or long forgotten hits ( and he just knows music, he already was "Rod the mod" back in 1964 even after Swinging London) it would be so much better.

These albums appeal to the medium, not-so-cultured-musically buyer. No prejudice here, but this is certainly the market. I can snort a kind of Frank Pourcel/Ray Connif feeling. I don´t like these kind of things. And I guess that few in this forum too. But OK, it´s Rod.

He still can sings very convincently and beautifully, but the other feeling I have is that he should have been that proficous when he´s younger and had a thunder in his throat, specially before he 'Atlantic crossed'. I mean, 'A night on the town' was still a great album, but I ´ve never heard anything on that level after that.

I don´t think his inspiration has vanished, he just found a formula. But Rod should not sell his imense talent that cheap. But what he´s been doing since he 'Atlantic crossed'but exactly this?

But I will love his voice forever anyway.

Posted by: DKsoulman ()
Date: October 4, 2009 19:10

But what he´s been doing since he 'Atlantic crossed'but exactly this?

LISTEN to When We Were The New Boys from 1998. And also Out Of Order from 1988.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: October 4, 2009 20:38

Is this really a SOUL album? Or the umpteenth volume of Rods ongoing "dishwash music for elderly housewives" cover album series?

Date: October 4, 2009 20:40

rod's been 100x more productive than the stones over the past 25 years...

the stones are a lazy-assed bunch of millionaires

Date: October 5, 2009 01:24

I can't stand what Rod is doing nowadays. I don't like the fact that he won't regroup with the Faces - even if he just looked at it as a business venture, he couldn';t go wrong. These superstar group reunions at the 55-60 year mark are hot stuff.
But - I will always have a place for him; and he will always have my ultimate respect for "Every Picture tells a Story" alone. Add Gasoline Alley. Jeff Beck group and the FACES, Never a Dull Moment to it. This excuses all the tight pants of today.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 5, 2009 09:30

"Rod Stewarts New Soul-Album"!! Ha Ha Rod has lost his voice for years ago..last thing he did with soul was Tom Trauberts Blues..must have been 20 years ago...

2 1 2 0

Date: October 5, 2009 10:13

Just wonder how many of the last four posters who actually seen and heard Rod live.

Date: October 5, 2009 10:49

NOt me. But I am a great admirerer of Faces.

2 1 2 0

Date: October 5, 2009 10:54

Recommend ya to go & see hem, Come On.
I did so not too long ago; my view on him was not so unlike yours before.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-05 10:55 by Baboon Bro.

Date: October 5, 2009 10:54

Well I am one of the last 4 posters and I have seen Rod live...hmm, 4 or 5 times. Once with the Faces on my dad's shoulders.

Date: October 5, 2009 10:56

I meant recent years?

Date: October 5, 2009 11:19

Baboon Bro
Recommend ya to go & see hem, Come On.
I did so not too long ago; my view on him was not so unlike yours before.

I could go and watch him for the old times sake, but then Ronnie have to be there playing the solo-guitar...that would be nice...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: DKsoulman ()
Date: October 8, 2009 22:46

[www.amazon.de]

Samples from Amazon Germany - what do you think?

Posted by: cirrhosis ()
Date: October 9, 2009 00:46

DKsoulman
Samples from Amazon Germany - what do you think?

The first 4 are samples. Surprisingly, the other clips feature the entire track.

I wasn't expecting much from this one, but there are some very old-school arrangements on display. The strings on Let It Be Me would've been right at home on an early James Brown album, Wonderful World is given the Otis Redding treatment, and the steady backbeat of What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted even managed to remind me of Hate It When You Leave.

WTF?

A quick check of the press release explains what's going on here: "Joining Rod for the first time is Grammy/Emmy award-winning producer Steve Jordan who brings legendary musicians into the studio including Motown players Bob Babbitt and George Bohannen, Memphis legends Willy Mitchell, Charles Hodges, Wayne Jackson and Jack Hale."

Waddy Wachtel and Darryl Jones are also backing Rod on the album. It's too bad Jordan didn't get to produce every track, but this sounds like a big improvement over Rod's previous cover albums.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: October 9, 2009 01:28

wow; sounds like really extraordinary shit to me...'shit' as in 'shit' from conception onwward. i'd buy lawrence welk album first, absolutely. rod the mod is on the nod. who cares/....faces reunion maybe help his totally lost credibility...maybe not...

i mean just hearin' about it...i ain't into the uberslick production stuff...especially from one of the best rock voices ever put on the planet...closed minded and happy bout it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-09 07:41 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: October 9, 2009 10:15

Rod & his record company are wanting the stay MOR & to SELL. And that´s it. It´s just for the money. Rod´s a great performer, no question but these cover thing is just for selling and that´s all. You can see in the tracklisting. Mostly commin songs, they´re always a hit and then Rod Stewart is singing them. Bang, you know also this familiar name, so it will be bought. That´s all. It´s better to make one original album (could also be a Coveralbum but with a meaning...) than every second year a sloppy & unvisionary CD. It´s all just marketing & label stuff.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: October 9, 2009 12:34

According to Tetsu Yamauchi (remember him?), Rod was nuts about Soul and R&B since Faces days.
Faces used to go to The Meters or Stevie Wonder show as a part of the audience.

I myself welcome whenever he gets back to grass roots.smiling smiley

Date: October 9, 2009 13:14

Thank You Toru for that superb upload of a video. You just got to know that if Keith hadn't already made a mental note to steal Ronnie, he would after that jam. Some of the very best Berry-2-string-Weaving this side of Handsome Girls begins at ca 5:25, and never stops until the final chord. Mac takes two go arounds himself on the Steinway, and excels.
And even though Rod looks like a silk bon-bon he can not be denied on the mike. Even Tetsu sounds good on the Soul workout. "You Send Me"...did Rod ever record that?

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 9, 2009 13:37

You Send Me is on Rod' Smiler album.

Date: October 9, 2009 13:58

Yes Silver Dagger. I just now saw that. Thank you.
It's weird that of all albums in the world, the very last one I just acquired is "Smiler". I wanted to get the remasters of his early catalogue; no later than "Blondes" I would say.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1018
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home