Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Chuck Berry November UK tour
Posted by: Justin ()
Date: October 7, 2009 20:58

CBII
andy js
Once is enough, keep well away would be my advice.

Oh well, an artist can't appeal to everyone that comes to a show or play perfectly every time they step out on stage. No glass jaw on my part.

Thanks for the one you did attend even if you thought it sucked.

Bah!

Screw andy js!

Posted by: Welsh Stone ()
Date: October 7, 2009 21:27

Saw him a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. Met him after the gig as well -loved the fact that he was driving himself everywhere!

Just bought tickets for my Dad for his birthday - he's going to see him in Newport

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: October 7, 2009 21:33

Justin
CBII
andy js
Once is enough, keep well away would be my advice.

Oh well, an artist can't appeal to everyone that comes to a show or play perfectly every time they step out on stage. No glass jaw on my part.

Thanks for the one you did attend even if you thought it sucked.

Bah!

Screw andy js!

No, no, no, don't play Andy Js like that. He apparently was not impressed and that's fine. There's no worries. Andy did not attack my dad on a personal level, he just implied he did not like what he saw and advised others to bypass the concerts.

Luckily, his opinion is in the minority, otherwise my dad would be sitting on the family farm bored stiff. Those that come to the various venues of the UK next month will provide best testament whether they were entertained or if he can still "Cut the mustard".

CBII

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: October 7, 2009 22:57

Can't wait for Leeds - missed out on the cancelled Doncater gig last year so looking forward to this. I'm 47 years younger than Chuck but have NO misgivings about giving it a whirl live.

How's the tickets selling?

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: October 7, 2009 23:14

yorkshirestone
Can't wait for Leeds - missed out on the cancelled Doncater gig last year so looking forward to this. I'm 47 years younger than Chuck but have NO misgivings about giving it a whirl live.

How's the tickets selling?

A chap that lives not to far from Doncaster brought it to our attention this show was being promoted. Somewhere, a wire was crossed and the local promoter did not have all the facts correct. We all can thank Jonny Williams ( www.myspace.com/jonnywilliamscountry ) for his efforts letting everyone know this show was still being promoted.

There's a rumor going around the Sheffield show is already sold out. It's not been verified yet but if that's the case, cool! Hopefully, the promoter of this tour can supply some numbers that they can share with the fans on how ticket sales are doing. The combination of the tickets not costing an arm and a leg and the jump in web page hit counts on my dad's official web site, things look very good so far.

CBII

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-07 23:23 by CBII.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 8, 2009 00:00

Hi CBII,

Here's one of the photos I took of Chuck at a jazz and blues festival in Alexandra Park, north London in 1979. I've got others including a shot of him behind the wheel of a Mercedes but they're all on old Ektachrome slides so I need to get prints off them.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: October 8, 2009 08:16

Nice picture! Thx.

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: October 8, 2009 10:12

I paid $50 to see him at the 930 Club in DC about 10 years ago. Seth Hurwitz got his thrill that night when Chuck let him play drums on Johnny B. Goode.

Touring with pianist Daryl Davis, Chuck played with a local pickup rhythm section that he seemed to have met for the first time that night onstage. He careened out of tune through his repertoire and left after an hour, spending the last 10 or so minutes on Reelin' and Rockin'.

He should have a rehearsed backing band, but settled for the local pickup band route for decades. Unless he has changed his M.O., I wouldn't pay to see him again. As much as I respect his contribution as one of the true poets of American music, I just can't abide.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-08 10:32 by baxlap.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: October 8, 2009 12:19

I saw him at the 100 Club last year and don't regret it one bit. The perfect venue and a great night.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: October 8, 2009 14:10

Have seen the wonderful Mr Berry three times - once each in the seventies, eighties and nineties - so reckon I'm due to see him again. Met him after two of the shows! Will be at the Glasgow gig and looking forward to it already.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1454
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home