Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

LSTNT Ashby film remaster, worth to get ?
Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: September 27, 2009 12:42

I have the VHS, the brazilian edition which came out a few years ago. Who got this one ?
[www.cdjapan.co.jp]

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Re: LSTNT Ashby film remaster, worth to get ?
Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: September 27, 2009 14:34

toomuchforme
I have the VHS, the brazilian edition which came out a few years ago. Who got this one ?
[www.cdjapan.co.jp]

If u love them as they were in 81/82 ... then yes yes yes. Personally, I love this film

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 27, 2009 15:17

i'm not sure what toomuchforme is asking. is the question about whether the upgrade to DVD
is a big improvement over the video version?

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: September 27, 2009 15:35

I wouldn't bother myself. Not one version on dvd is good. Everything is way to fast, and that has never been corrected on dvd until now. Never were the original negatives of the film used to release this on dvd (unlike say Gimme Shelter)

What we need is a directors cut from the original movie. Long overdue.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-27 15:36 by barbabang.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: September 27, 2009 15:40

with sssoul
i'm not sure what toomuchforme is asking. is the question about whether the upgrade to DVD

I think toomuchforme is asking whether the japan DVD edition is an improvement
towards the strange brazilian one.
To judge from the Universal European DVD release which I know it´s a definite improvement,sound and picturewise.

Can´t tell you about the japan version, I just don´t know.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: September 27, 2009 16:22

barbabang

What we need is a directors cut from the original movie. Long overdue.

yes, then i would buy it, until then what i have now will do just fine

Posted by: boogie69 ()
Date: September 28, 2009 00:26

Although the packaging looks a bit different, I have a Jap version that I assume must be the same, and I think it's excellent. I know this film gets a lot of flack, and it's certainly not the Stones at their best, but it sure as hell isn't them at their worst either. To me, this tour was their last great hurrah and I love the videos of it. It may not be as good as an officially released remaster would be, but if you want a good DVD of this movie, I say it's worth it if the price doesn't bother you.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: September 28, 2009 01:22

>What we need is a directors cut from the original movie. Long overdue

The theatrical release *is* the "director's cut". Ashby is dead so you won't be getting any "new director's cut".

The movie was digitally remastered in the past year or so; haven't heard of a new DVD release though.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: September 28, 2009 03:03

Well, a directors cut of this may be difficult since Hal Ashby, the director, has been dead for a long long time.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: September 28, 2009 08:16

i still have the videotape i bought in 1985 are there any major improvements since then?

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: September 28, 2009 12:55

shortfatfanny
with sssoul

I think toomuchforme is asking whether the japan DVD edition is an improvement
towards the strange brazilian one.
To judge from the Universal European DVD release which I know it´s a definite improvement,sound and picturewise.

yes this is what I was wondering, the improvement of this version

"we know it's a bit late but we hope you don't mind if we stay"

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: September 28, 2009 13:39

barbabang
Not one version on dvd is good. Everything is way to fast, and that has never been corrected on dvd until now.

This is exactly the reason why, even though visually I think it's the most attractive of all Stones movies, I can't watch it for more than 15 minutes because my ears start to hurt.

Any one can tell whether it's been corrected on this one? I already own 3 versions, including the one by Universal.

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: September 28, 2009 13:51

shortfatfanny

I also have the Eropean DVD release and both the picture and the sound are really great. Much better than VHS. The film itself is not the best document of the tour, Hampton is much better, but one can not get it in such quallity. My advice is - get the European DVD, I am sure you can get it quite chaep. It is worth it. Then get the Hampton bootleg and play it loooud!

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: September 28, 2009 13:53

Greg
barbabang
Not one version on dvd is good. Everything is way to fast, and that has never been corrected on dvd until now.

This is exactly the reason why, even though visually I think it's the most attractive of all Stones movies, I can't watch it for more than 15 minutes because my ears start to hurt.

Any one can tell whether it's been corrected on this one? I already own 3 versions, including the one by Universal.

Was it made faster in the film? Is it not that the songs were just played fast? They are cut, that is for sure, but how can you make it slower? It would be out of tune.

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: September 28, 2009 14:00

It's definitely half a note or more up. You can also see it by the body movements of the Stones and crew backstage - at times they have this Chaplinesque quality. By making it the right speed it would be in tune (though I don't know how this is done in digital format). Just compare the opening notes of UMT to the Hampton boot.

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-28 15:27 by Greg.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: September 28, 2009 14:12

Ah, LSTNT, my first full Stones tour film. It was shown on Channel 5 one night and taped it off. I thought it was quite good (despite MJ's awful costume!).

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: September 28, 2009 16:14

July-2009 version DVD has pseudo 5.1ch dolby remix sound on another layer.
I think picture has also remarkably improved compared to my Betamax and VHS.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-28 16:15 by Toru A.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 28, 2009 17:13

my wish for lstnt is the full concert film without the songs being chopped and restored to the right speed .Mathijs said awile back that the film was speed up to make everything fit into 90 minutes .

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: September 28, 2009 20:04

the movie is almost sacred to me . tattoo you , let's spend the night together & the 81 tour are what got me interested in the stones. honestly i find the movie more entertaining than gimme shelter

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1892
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home