Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
If Brian Jones Were Still Alive ...
Posted by: BrianJones1969 ()
Date: September 25, 2009 17:51

True to my username here, I would like to ask you all these burning questions about Brian Jones while people are trying to solve just how he died (then again, since the very year he'd died, people were always trying to figure out just how he died):

1 - What would Brian have looked like at the age of 67 years old? I could imagine him having gray hair stereotypical of most middle-aged/senior men.
2 - What would he have thought of the Stones' 1969 and later recordings they'd done barring him? He ought to think of songs like "Brown Sugar," "Tumbling Dice," "Angie," "It's Only Rock & Roll (But I Like It)," "Fool to Cry," "Miss You," "Emotional Rescue," "Start Me Up," "Undercover of the Night," their adaptation of Bob & Earl's "Harlem Shuffle," "Mixed Emotions," "Love is Strong," "Anybody Seen My Baby," "Don't Stop" and "Rough Justice."
3 - Would he ever have changed his mind and re-joined his old group sometime during the later '70s or '80s? Providing he cleaned himself up of all the drugs he'd taken that got him (as well as Mick and Keith) arrested in 1967, that is.

EDIT: In 1997, BJ would've been 55.

~Ben

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-25 18:26 by BrianJones1969.

Re: If Brian Jones Were Still Alive ...
Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: September 25, 2009 18:06

Where are you from ,BJ69 ? You're obviously neither an American nor an Englishman ,are you ?

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-25 18:09 by SwayStones.

Date: September 25, 2009 18:09

I am an American man, if you must know. Heck, I even surpassed being 27 years old and I am still here.

~Ben

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: September 25, 2009 18:12

i think he would have very little hair left, he just looks the type that would lose his, or it would be very thinned out on top.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: September 25, 2009 18:13

Then ..sorry for asking .It's just because you remind me someone else ....
And as a non native English woman ,I always thought that you must write "If Brian was still alive."

IORR is great .Not only I am learning every day about the Stones ,but I learn English too.smiling bouncing smiley

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-25 18:17 by SwayStones.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: September 25, 2009 18:14

He would have been 67, not 55, if he were alive today. Perhaps he would look like his sister. She looked quite a bit like him at his funeral. Or he would have looked like hs sons, who are around 50 now.

Just speculating here....If Mick and Keith won't take Mick Taylor back, even though Mick is ready and would love to return, there is no chance in the world that Brian would have been allowed to return, considering what he put the Stones through before they finally ditched him.

Aside from his drug use, Brian was a highly creative person. Being in the stones is tough from that perspective; both Bill and Mick Taylor chafed against not being able to do their own material in the context of the Stones. It's unlikely that Brian would have wanted to continue in that environment, or would have even wanted to stay at all, had he not died or been asked to leave.

Posted by: caesar ()
Date: September 25, 2009 18:20

I think Brian should have been a dentist. Or anything else apart from show business. He would be still alive then. He could have studied medicine or laws.
I don't think he had any chance to get clean within the music business.

If still alive today he wouldn't have any interest in the Stones music. Or he would just smile about it since 1969.

The question could as well be:
"If Jimi Hendrix was still alive."
Many theories have been made up. But we'll never know.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: September 25, 2009 18:26

Brian was kicked out before he died. Even if he was still alive he would have no baring on The Stones whatsoever. Just like any other party memeber to leave. Once you're out you are out for life.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-25 18:27 by More Hot Rocks.

Date: September 25, 2009 18:29

Bliss
He would have been 67, not 55, if he were alive today. Perhaps he would look like his sister. She looked quite a bit like him at his funeral. Or he would have looked like hs sons, who are around 50 now.

Just speculating here....If Mick and Keith won't take Mick Taylor back, even though Mick is ready and would love to return, there is no chance in the world that Brian would have been allowed to return, considering what he put the Stones through before they finally ditched him.

Aside from his drug use, Brian was a highly creative person. Being in the stones is tough from that perspective; both Bill and Mick Taylor chafed against not being able to do their own material in the context of the Stones. It's unlikely that Brian would have wanted to continue in that environment, or would have even wanted to stay at all, had he not died or been asked to leave.

Right now, the two sons he lent the name of Julian to (Julian being the real first name of "Cannonball" Adderley), Mark Julian Jones Andrews and Julian Brian Jones Lawrence, are 48 and 45 years old respectively (actually, Mark will turn 48 next month).

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: September 25, 2009 18:51

I think he fathered two babies prior to the "Julians" in the late 50's, early 60's. So they would be pushing 50 now.

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: September 25, 2009 19:31

1 - What would Brian have looked like at the age of 67 years old? I could imagine him having gray hair stereotypical of most middle-aged/senior men.
Hard to say. I think that he would have lost some of his hair (maybe a bit like David Gilmour) but I don't think he would have gone complete bald. I think that his face would show us that he once had a drug/drinking problem. But I don't think that he would have lost his smile and taste for fancy outfits.

2 - What would he have thought of the Stones' 1969 and later recordings they'd done barring him? He ought to think of songs like "Brown Sugar," "Tumbling Dice," "Angie," "It's Only Rock & Roll (But I Like It)," "Fool to Cry," "Miss You," "Emotional Rescue," "Start Me Up," "Undercover of the Night," their adaptation of Bob & Earl's "Harlem Shuffle," "Mixed Emotions," "Love is Strong," "Anybody Seen My Baby," "Don't Stop" and "Rough Justice."
I think that he would remember the earlier recordings with him with joy and the later with pain and suffering. But I don't think that Brian would be especially interested in Stones after he got sacked. The journey they had went through before that moment wasn't a happy one. I think Brian's further interest in the Stones would have depended on how his relation with M&K developed afterwards.

3 - Would he ever have changed his mind and re-joined his old group sometime during the later '70s or '80s? Providing he cleaned himself up of all the drugs he'd taken that got him (as well as Mick and Keith) arrested in 1967, that is.
No, Brian was pretty much clean in 1969 at the time he got sacked (he still drank a lot) but his relation to Mick and Keith was a mess. Maybe they would have buried the axe when they got older and have something nice to say about each other (it would be so great to have Brian here to tell us his side of the story). But don't believe that he would have joined the Stones again.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: September 25, 2009 20:01

If Brian Jones Were Still Alive ...

He'd be dead by now.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: September 25, 2009 20:31

He'd be fat and even more bloated if he would have survived freebasing, crack and whatever else. Ice. You know he would have done it all if possible.

Prove where Mick Taylor is ready and wants to come back to the Stones? That's hilarious. You must be smokin' some good dope. It means nothing! Nothing at all! Lump Mick Taylor in with Brian Jones - OUT FOREVER. NEVER AGAIN.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: September 25, 2009 20:48

i think if brian had lived and got his life together ,he would of never been interested in rejoining the stones. to be kicked out of something he created had to be humiliating. i belive he would of created a new band that would of been something like mixing creedence clearwater revival, with chicago blues , delaney and bonnie, and allman brothers.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 25, 2009 21:01

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: September 25, 2009 21:05

He'd be denying Mackenzie Phillips's claim that he shagged her.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: September 25, 2009 21:06

He would be a camp counselor in David Fishoff's Rock & Roll Fantasy Camp trading licks with Mick Ralphs.

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: September 25, 2009 22:37

He might work in a chapaux shop.....

What would the hours be?

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: September 25, 2009 23:00

Elmo Lewis, you have my respect for an unexpected laugh.

Posted by: jjflash73 ()
Date: September 25, 2009 23:09

I think he would of been like EC, in several 'super bands' and would have a successful solo career like a Santana. Maybe join G Harrison in the early 70's. A member of the Travelin Willburies,

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 25, 2009 23:18

jjflash73
I think he would of been like EC, in several 'super bands' and would have a successful solo career like a Santana. Maybe join G Harrison in the early 70's. A member of the Travelin Willburies,

The difference between EC and BJ is that EC was a fantastic musician and a reluctant rock star, and BJ was a fantastic rock star and a reluctant musician.

Mathijs

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 26, 2009 00:41

Brian would have formed another band. The other guys in his band would have had to write all the songs. Then the other guys would have gotten famous. Then the other guys would have kicked Brian out. Then Brian would have formed another band .....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-26 01:01 by tatters.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 26, 2009 00:49

Mathijs
jjflash73

The difference between EC and BJ is that EC was a fantastic musician and a reluctant rock star, and BJ was a fantastic rock star and a reluctant musician.

Mathijs

The difference between EC and BJ is that EC can sing and write songs.

Posted by: kath51 ()
Date: September 26, 2009 00:52

i'm with SCL here...he'd be dead by now. and isn't this kindaconfused smiley anyway??

Date: September 26, 2009 02:39

No dope here, good or otherwise, SS. There have been a few things from all the recent news stories that make me think Mick T would willingly rejoin, at least for some guest spots, if asked, not least of which are his finances, which, though he is not derelict, are hardly in great shape. And a quote like this makes me think so as well:

'Mick suggested taking six months off, but I’ve never been good at taking advice. Maybe I should have listened.'

That does seem to indicate some regret.

He likes to perform, he needs to perform; doing some Stones gigs would be the best thing that could happen to him.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: September 26, 2009 02:44

Mathijs
[...]EC was a fantastic musician and a reluctant rock star[....]

not was but is

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: September 26, 2009 02:54

SwayStones
And as a non native English woman ,I always thought that you must write "If Brian was still alive."
smiling bouncing smiley

SwayStones - more English lessons smiling smiley The use of "were" here is what's known as the subjunctive tense. I don't vemember what that would be in French but I know you use it too. In fact, I bet existentialist writings would use the tense a lot.

You're totally right that usually in English it's: "I was, you were, he was, she was, we were, they were" But the subjunctive "were" is used across the board for everyone, when speculating, wishing, or hoping, or thinking about something (in an abstract sort of future or present state, that will not, or may not, ever be).

Usually you get a clue that the subjunctive will be used when a sentence is preceded by the word "if" or "whether."

Many English as a 1st language people don't even use this tense; they use the simple tense of "was," tho "were" is right.

example: If all of us "were" former English majors back in college, we'd know these rules. If Brian Jones "were" still among us he would be sneering at my post right now.

Date: September 26, 2009 03:04

Its pretty obvious he'd have been fat and bald.

he'd have thought the Stones recordings were crap but he'd probably have realized as he got older that there was something to them and felt bad about having missed the boat..

I'm thinking a Jack Bruce sort of career... flailing about..

Date: September 26, 2009 05:14

In any case, Brian wouldn't have made it to 67. The coroner's report said that he already had serious liver damage at 27, no doubt due to his drinking.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 26, 2009 05:46

additionally his heart was significantly enlarged for a man his age. He wouldn't have lasted long. If he wasn't murdered or accidentally drowned, he probably would have OD'd. If he would have lasted up to Sticky Fingers he would have been quite jealous of what they accomplished!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2591
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home