Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Can Keith play Drums?
Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 25, 2009 15:55

shortfatfanny
Memory is tricky,didn´t Keith tell in the ´95 interview in Jamaica about some
percussions someone made for him 20 years ago which have been finished then ?
Didn´t he play some percussion with some folks...?

Ha,he got riddim !

I don't know if this

[www.kcrw.com]

is the interview you have in mind, but he's talking there about the nyabinghi drums that his Rastafarian friends made as a gift for him: but I don't think they were for him to play, though! He was told they would take 20 years to be mature enough to be played, and sure enough after 20 years somebody asked: "Brother Keith, you ready fe drum?" According to Keith the drums just lived at his house and everybody came around to play and sing - these are the sessions that eventually became the Wingless Angels album. Where Keith plays on these at all, he's playing guitar.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 25, 2009 16:09

Roll73
Come On
Can Charlie play rhytm-guitar?

Can you spell rhythm? tongue sticking out smiley

Nope but I can play it...cool smiley

Posted by: squando ()
Date: September 25, 2009 16:28

His bass on "Live with me" is excellent but "Happy" is pretty bad.

Ronnie is an excellent bassy. His work on ER (song) is first rate. Very creative and superbly executed. He was a bass player for Beck in the beginning so he must be pretty good at it.

Keith used to be a great axeman. Piano he has no natural ability for and have never seen him at another instrument.

Jagger is a strange one. He actaully has alot of talent musically but has very little faith or confidence in his own ability. That's what makes it so hard to watch him play the guit or keys, he's always spot checking where his fingers are. Starnge after 45 years odd of playing them. He even doubts his abilty to play harp I think as well. When he was using it as a side dish (so to speak) in MR in the 60/70s he was singing and playing/dancing/acting out a part so his concentartion wasn't wholly onj the instrument he was playing. He was therefore more relaxed and was on song with the harp. Look at him during Licks with CYHMK and he just isn't as confident in his approach or playing. He had a chance to cut sick in NFA at the opening of every VL show but didn't bother. Weird.

Anyways....guess I'm way off topic now and time to shut up. smiling smiley

Posted by: magee mineko ()
Date: September 25, 2009 18:26

cartoon of Charlie Watts.
[cartoonstones.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 25, 2009 20:25

Koen
Actually, I don't know who Dunn, Kaye or Jamerson are cool smiley

Entwistle I never liked, way too busy and an ugly sound (IMHO). I prefer bass players who are more in the background, and add to the rhythm and groove of a song (Wyman of course being a great/excellent example).

James Jamerson, jr was the bassist on most of the golden era Motown classics.

As for Keith, he's never played drums on a Stones song - but he HAS played a bicycle....

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: September 25, 2009 20:36

No. Let's hope he can still play guitar.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: September 25, 2009 21:07

you guys are hard on keith about not being as good guitarist as he used to be . he's still better than alot of guitarists out there

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 25, 2009 23:26

Listen to Pretty Beat Up and hear what a fantastic bass player Keith is.

Mathijs

Posted by: micwer ()
Date: September 25, 2009 23:35

There is a bootleg of Keith on the piano - I can't remember the name but it's quite good.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 25, 2009 23:40

Keith plays piano on a number of tracks on the latest Dirty Strangers album

ROCKMAN

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: September 26, 2009 05:05

Drummers--how do you like the pic of the Premier kit Keith's playing, above? I'd not seen that one before. looks like he's rockin the hats and snare all right...
probably a kit provided for some show they were taping...doubtful it was Charlie's, did he ever play Premier drums? I know they are UK- made drums..

thanks for posting, magee mineko, and the Charlie cartoon is great!

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: September 26, 2009 12:32

squando

Keith used to be a great axeman. Piano he has no natural ability for and have never seen him at another instrument.

Just listen to Keith on piano on 'The Nearness of you' from one of those Voodoo Lounge boots. Not Oscar Peterson I grant you - but he still has a lovely soulful feel. That's what makes a great musician I think - and why I thought Keith might have been a useful drummer as well.

As he and Tom Waits sung, "There's one thing you can't lose - and it's that feel!"

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 26, 2009 14:56

thanks for that photo, magee mineko - it's from 1964, right?
do you have any details like the venue/situation, the date and/or the photographer's name?
thanks

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: September 26, 2009 18:28

Rockman
Keith plays piano on a number of tracks on the latest Dirty Strangers album

maybe he's auditioning to bump chuck...oh, wait...then he'd need to be musical director, too...nix that idea....

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: September 26, 2009 23:12

From4tilLate
Cheetah Chrome (fmr lead guitarist of the Dead Boys) is a neighbor of mine and a friend. Back in his junk days he used to hang out with Anita doing the nod. Keith would come visit and was always up for a jam. He recalls a jam where Keith was on drums since no real drummer was around, and, according to Cheetah, Keith was quite terrible on the drums.
Tommy

Great story! I hope Cheetah is doing well--the Dead Boys were seminal to the NYC punk scene! I remember when Anita was reinventing herself sort of as a punk. I never considered the possibility that Keith sometimes hung out in that scene, much less jammed.

Date: September 26, 2009 23:22

This isn't about Keith on drums but a Keith on percussion.

Old boyfriend told me Keith was home listening to tapes of Gimme Shelter one night, got inspired and went back into the studio himself late at night, and recorded the percussion part (the wooden instrument with the ridges you stroke with a stick).

Has anyone ever heard that story? I've been wondering for years whether it's true!

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: September 27, 2009 00:51

swiss
(Keith's..... wooden instrument with the ridges you stroke with a stick).

is this another reference to the nude keith photo that swaystones posted earlier in the week?? winking smiley

IORR............but I like it!

Date: September 27, 2009 02:07

sweet neo con
swiss
(Keith's..... wooden instrument with the ridges you stroke with a stick).

is this another reference to the nude keith photo that swaystones posted earlier in the week?? winking smiley

he he - you nut! grinning smiley

Posted by: magee mineko ()
Date: September 27, 2009 07:50

To duke richardson.
Thank you for reading my Charlie cartoon.
I am very honored.

To with sssoul.
To our regret, I do not understand details of the photograph.
I collected a photograph of Stones much before and cut it and put it on the notebook.
I do not remember details.
I'm sorry.

Posted by: stoneswashed77 ()
Date: September 27, 2009 20:19

i am more worried if he can play guitar. eye rolling smiley

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: September 27, 2009 20:36

I'm sure that Keith could probably play a straight 4/4 rock beat.

A good rhythm guitarist, pianist or bassist with some measure of coordination can learn to play a decent 4/4 beat on the drums. That would be about as hard as learning to drive a manual transmission. But very few of them could play a "shuffle" beat, which is essential to any blues based band. Try it sometime - it's very difficult.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: September 28, 2009 02:04

Boo hoo hoo hoo ghostryder13.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1479
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home