Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
dirty work, streets of love, their satanic m r
Posted by: michel ()
Date: September 20, 2009 10:27

Hi there, I was wondering if there are more of you who like these albums/songs
I cant be the only one, i almost feel ashamed to say, but I really love streets of love, i think its a beautiful song with a fantastic chorus.(I saw them play it life, super great, with the crowd singing along with the chorus) dirty work is not their best album i agree, but its full of energy, I even like back to zero, winning ugly.Its full of surprices( i agree it took me some years to get completely into it) and their satanic is a beautiful album, gomper is great,ok the long version of sing this all together is a little to much, but still has good parts, and I really like on with the show especially the mellotron that comes on the right speaker after that weird break.
Oh yeah and finally I really like Keith playng on the shine a light movie(ok maybe his solo on sympaty is not sooo good) but he really shines in this movie... love it, great great great.
I am very curious if there are more people who feel the same.
greetings to you all

Re: dirty work, streets of love, their satanic m r
Posted by: guyrachel ()
Date: September 20, 2009 10:54

Yes, I share much of what you say.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 20, 2009 10:56

Streets Of Love finally got me when I saw it live at Berlin's Olympia Stadion in 2006. There was a power and majesty that I never heard on the recorded version. I think it's a later day classic, a bit like Angie.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-20 11:21 by Silver Dagger.

Date: September 20, 2009 11:14

Silver Dagger
It finally got me when I saw it live at Berlin's Olympia Stadion in 2006. There was a power and majesty that I never heard on the recorded version. I think it's a later day classic, a bit like Angie.
Yeahh people talked the same way about angie when it came out, i was thinking the same thing.
Thanks for your reaction!!

Posted by: Sjouke ()
Date: September 20, 2009 11:17

In general, Streets of Love was received very well during the European leg of the tour in 2006. In Italy the song was well known because it was used in a commercial on TV. during the show in Switzerland Mick Jagger went totally crazy towards the end of the song, such a great moment...

sjouke

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: September 20, 2009 14:15

Streets Of Love was great live but the studio version sucks pretty badly. I like some parts of Dirty Work (One Hit, Fight, Dirty Work, Sleep Tonight), but not a big fan. And I like most of Majesties except Sing This All Together - the rest songs are great, although the production is pretty lame at some points.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: September 20, 2009 14:28

I hated Streets when it came out, but was amazed at how good it was in Amsterdam in 2006. It was in fact one of the only enjoyable moments of that show as the Stones seemed to wake up and concentrate for the first and only time.

Mathijs

Posted by: squando ()
Date: September 20, 2009 14:31

DW is so-so at best; like SOL and love Satanics. Just wish they's dropped the 2nd "Sing this..." and "The lantern" and added "Dandelion" and WLY in there place.

Posted by: mark666 ()
Date: September 20, 2009 14:45

Didn't think much of DW and SOL but consider Satanic and Between the Buttons very under-rated albums. The second 'Sing this all Together' goes on too long like "Goin Home' on Aftermath. I don't like Gomper. Leaving off second Sing This All Together and adding WLY and Dandelion would have made a big improvement imo.

Date: September 20, 2009 15:10

I honestly don't get the hate that SOL brings out in folks. It is a decent song. But what it really did was to prove once again that the Stones are masters at transforming a song into a powerhouse when they give it the real live work-out. They have done this time ansd time again. IM<O this is how they created all those warhorses. "Rambler", YCAGWYW, lots of SG album, SFTD got much of their identity and legendary qualities from the stage. And without fail, every write up/review from the ABb shows that featured SOL listed that song as a highlight. That it acquired a whole new power. I don't understand why the Stones did not feature this song and more of ABB a whole lot more. I think they would have given the album a MUCH better reputation.
DW is just not that good an album. A few tunes that are testament to the band's greatness, but only a few.
I don't think Satanic gets slagged much here; great album.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: September 20, 2009 15:54

Mathijs
I hated Streets when it came out, but was amazed at how good it was in Amsterdam in 2006. It was in fact one of the only enjoyable moments of that show as the Stones seemed to wake up and concentrate for the first and only time.

Mathijs

My steniments exactly. I still don't care for the studio version though.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: September 20, 2009 20:12

horrifically terrible songs like SOL don't suddenly get better because they are put on stage. crap is crap, and as they say you can't polish a turd....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-20 20:12 by StonesTod.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: September 20, 2009 20:18

StonesTod
horrifically terrible songs like SOL don't suddenly get better because they are put on stage. crap is crap, and as they say you can't polish a turd....

Crap is indeed crap, but SOL was never bad to begin with. And neither was Anyway You Look At It for that matter. Why is THAT song hated so much???

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 20, 2009 20:29

JumpingKentFlash
StonesTod

Crap is indeed crap, but SOL was never bad to begin with. And neither was Anyway You Look At It for that matter. Why is THAT song hated so much???

because its crap.

Seriously - if any other artist's name was on it, would you like it?

Date: September 20, 2009 20:34

michel
Hi there, I was wondering if there are more of you who like these albums/songs
I cant be the only one, i almost feel ashamed to say, but I really love streets of love, i think its a beautiful song with a fantastic chorus.(I saw them play it life, super great, with the crowd singing along with the chorus) dirty work is not their best album i agree, but its full of energy, I even like back to zero, winning ugly.Its full of surprices( i agree it took me some years to get completely into it) and their satanic is a beautiful album, gomper is great,ok the long version of sing this all together is a little to much, but still has good parts, and I really like on with the show especially the mellotron that comes on the right speaker after that weird break.
Oh yeah and finally I really like Keith playng on the shine a light movie(ok maybe his solo on sympaty is not sooo good) but he really shines in this movie... love it, great great great.
I am very curious if there are more people who feel the same.
greetings to you all

Most of DW is decent enough. Its just a weak album by Stones standards, but it has its moments. I just dont care for the way its mixed - no Stones album ever had a worse drum sound. Mick's singing on parts of it grate a bit too.

Satanic Majesties just stands out like a sore thumb in their back catalogue because its an unusual example of the Stones totally pandering to trends and trying to sound like something they're not. There's still some very good songs on it - although half of the album is, to my ears, pretty much unlistenable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-20 20:56 by Gazza.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: September 20, 2009 20:39

Gazza
JumpingKentFlash
StonesTod

because its crap.

I think I would. I know you think it sucks, but could you tell me why please? Sometimes I feel like there's something I've completely missed with that song. I've been listening again and again, but I still like it. And all I ever hear from anybody is that it sucks. I've yet to hear WHY. I would be happy if you were the one telling me too Gaz. You have a tendency to not let fanhood blind you, unlike some other people on here. Tell me please. Why does Anyway You Look At It suck so hard? And don't say "Because it's crap" smiling smiley

JumpingKentFlash

Date: September 20, 2009 20:41

JumpingKentFlash
StonesTod

i don't hate songs - they are inanimate objects, so...

and, to go with gazza's theme - i can't imagine anyone with reasonable taste in music liking a song as bad as SOL if it didn't have the RS name associated. it's the only explanation i-yi-yi-yi can think of....

Date: September 20, 2009 20:54

JumpingKentFlash
Gazza
JumpingKentFlash
StonesTod

because its crap.

I think I would. I know you think it sucks, but could you tell me why please? Sometimes I feel like there's something I've completely missed with that song. I've been listening again and again, but I still like it. And all I ever hear from anybody is that it sucks. I've yet to hear WHY. I would be happy if you were the one telling me too Gaz. You have a tendency to not let fanhood blind you, unlike some other people on here. Tell me please. Why does Anyway You Look At It suck so hard? And don't say "Because it's crap" smiling smiley

There's no hard and fast definition on whats good or bad other than personal taste. Additionally, its got nothing to do with the style of music on it - I'm very opened minded that way, and I have quite quirky tastes regarding liking Stones songs that aren't done in their traditional style which maybe other people don't appreciate (Continental Drift, Feel On Baby, etc.). I just think its a poor song thats instantly forgettable. So forgettable that, if you actually asked me to tell you how it goes or to recite the lyrics, I honestly couldn't. Its only a b-side - its not like I'd lose any sleep on them putting out the occasional turkey.

Date: September 20, 2009 20:54

StonesTod
JumpingKentFlash
StonesTod

i don't hate songs - they are inanimate objects, so...

and, to go with gazza's theme - i can't imagine anyone with reasonable taste in music liking a song as bad as SOL if it didn't have the RS name associated. it's the only explanation i-yi-yi-yi can think of....

That was 'awful bad', Tod....

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: September 20, 2009 21:02

As bad as SOL is, it's actually quite novel to hear the Stones play something new.

...I suppose beggars can't be choosers.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: September 20, 2009 21:10

Streets Of Love live was great - they missed a chance to promote their own material. Whereas ABB I like very much as it is their best album since ... Bridges to Babylon (which I like more than Some Girls: disco and punk?!)!
Funny though, I don't regard TSMR and DW that high too but play them more often than the usual ExileBeggars-stuff-albums.

Date: September 20, 2009 21:18

Barn Owl
As bad as SOL is, it's actually quite novel to hear the Stones play something new.

...I suppose beggars can't be choosers.

yeah...the days of beggar's having banquets are long-gone...

i do give credit anytime the lads try-out something different on the stage...i'll take an awful SOL over a worn-out sympathy any day....

Posted by: slew ()
Date: September 20, 2009 21:32

I like Satanic Majesties

Dirty Work - Love One Hit, Harlem Shuffle, Dirty Work, Had It With You and Sleep Tonight. The rest I can not take

Sorry but Streets of Love and Sweet Neo-Con are the two worst songs the Rolling Stones have ever done!

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: September 20, 2009 22:25

Why SOL sucks:

The lyrics sound like a rich man's pity party. There's not one believable lyric in the whole song. On top of the lyrics just plain out suck. Musically it's a total yawn. It's just Bland 101. It's not even worthy of being a C or D side.

Anyway You Look At It is just similar. It's just mush.

Date: September 20, 2009 22:40

mick's vocals on SOL are absolutey PUTRID - pure, insincere schlock. if that was the first song i'd ever heard of the rolling stones - based on that vocal "performance" alone, i probably would never have bothered looking any further into the band.

Date: September 20, 2009 22:41

It's amazing it was issued as the trailer. It has nothing to do with the album other than being on it.

Date: September 20, 2009 22:44

i think mick honestly thought he had a hit single that could help promote the album. i guess there was some success in europe....but it was to the candy-assed-pop-drivel crowd....

Date: September 21, 2009 01:09

So what does that say? Something about candy assed pop drivel Stones fans in Europe? Or just something about candy assed pop drivel Europeans? Ha ha.

Date: September 21, 2009 01:14

Maybe, although what does it say about what they imagined their target audience in the US would be when you realise that they leased the same song for use on 'Days of Our Lives'.....

Date: September 21, 2009 01:30

StonesTod
Sorry but this is a topic for people who do like the song....

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1491
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home