Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Chris Hillman - Altamont
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: September 22, 2009 20:41

Chris Hillman is playing here Saturday and I interviewed him for my local newspaper column the other day. Great guy, and after the interview, once the business stuff was out of the way we started talking about Altamont. He remembers it like yesterday and paints a vivid picture of the chaos - said once David Crosby came offstage he told Chris, "this place is gonna blow!" He also described how Gram could have cared less about the Burritos that day, instead clinging to the Stones and then (as we all know) splitting with them in the helicopter at the end, leaving his bandmates to fend for themselves.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-22 20:42 by hbwriter.

Re: Chris Hillman - Altamont
Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: September 22, 2009 22:09

could you post the interview? Hillman is about the most Knowledgeable musician, along with Keith, and Emmylou Harris, about GP. And Hillman has done pretty well post-Burritos.

Date: September 22, 2009 22:20

duke--i'll write it all up when i can get to it--the focus was on the golden bear here in huntington beach--helluva nice guy--we talked for more than an hour after the interview ended--got into all kinds of stuff

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: September 22, 2009 22:40

So, the Golden Bear is still going?? Wow . . . . there is an impressive list of those who have performed there over the years. I remember seeing Charlie Musselwhite there probably 40 years ago.

I would also love to read what Hillman had to say about Altamont.

Date: September 22, 2009 22:41

nope - it closed in the mid 80s--they're having a reunion show here in a hotel to sort of celebrate the spirit of it - david lindley, chris, ray manzarek, dirt band--a few others - should be fun

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-23 02:39 by hbwriter.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 23, 2009 02:10

I saw Chris play a small gig for maybe 200 people here in Ann Arbor summer before last. Not as good as the Roger McGuinn show I went to just a few days later, but much more friendly, intimate, and fun. I can't think of too many other Rock And Roll Hall Of Famers who take requests from the audience. He did his best to play them too, even the ones for obscure Byrds songs that he could barely remember.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-23 02:12 by tatters.

Date: September 23, 2009 03:01

hbwriter
nope - it closed in the mid 80s--they're having a reunion show here in a hotel to sort of celebrate the spirit of it - david lindley, chris, ray manzarek, dirt band--a few others - should be fun

Everyone complains they should have never torn it down.

Date: September 23, 2009 08:29

Witch - I agree!

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: September 23, 2009 09:45

Very cool!! if you remember any more he said about GP or Altamont or Stones would love to hear it.

Date: September 23, 2009 09:53

well, I always wondered if mick and keith came down here (to b) with Gram when the Burritos played the golden bear - i'd heard a pretty good first hand account/sort of rumor that they did sneak in and watch the set, unbeknownst to pretty much everyone (stanley booth included) Chris seemed to think they did in fact make the ride down from LA

Date: October 1, 2009 07:26

Had a great time with Chris Hillman the other night - good Gram/Altamont stuff - Chris also flagged Byron Berline, the fiddle player from Country Honk as a guy he really dug--

here's a clip of Chris & Buddy

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: October 1, 2009 10:30

The clip of Burritos doing "Six Days on the Road" is the only moment in GIMME SHELTER where there seems to be a good vibe going on at Altamont.

- Doxa

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: October 1, 2009 10:47

great stuff - thanks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1585
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home