Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

chicago
Posted by: drake ()
Date: September 4, 2005 22:29

So who's attending Soldier Field? Me and my crew will be making the pilgrimage from Louisville, KY on Friday. Blazin the whole way up there.

Re: chicago
Posted by: R ()
Date: September 4, 2005 22:44

Here. With 8 and 9 year old boys in tow who are going to see what the old man's been raving about all their lives. If you're sitting in front of us, cut 'em some slack, okay?

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: September 4, 2005 22:46

I'll be there! And to anyone who attends please remember, this is a NO SITTING SHOW...otherwise the guards will called in to have the sitters removed!

Date: September 4, 2005 22:50

If I'm in front of them (the 8 and 9 year olds) I will switch places so they can see better...

Posted by: roryg ()
Date: September 4, 2005 22:51

Probably try the Guinness Oyster Fest in the afternoon and get down to Soldier Field around 4. If the show ends around 10:30, we may run to The Hideout to continue our little soiree with The Deadstring Brothers, a (surprise, surprise) band who has more than a passing resemblance to Beggar's RS.

No sitting. I like your attitude. What sections? My crew of 6 (including myself) will be in 243. W000!!

For those of you who have been to Soldier Field before, what kind of place is it around/outside the stadium? Alot of bars/pubs?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()

As it often happens, the Stones end up playing Chicago as often or more often than any other city on the tour with good reason THIS IS STONES COUNTRY !!!

And Soldier Field is going to be very well attended...

There's a big Shidoobee pre-party, etc. at link below:

[p081.ezboard.com]

If you need some ideas on clubs, restaurants, hotels, etc. let us know smiling smiley

The Stone rock the &^%$#@ out of Soldier Field & let's hope the fickle September weather holds up !

See you there !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-04 22:53 by CreedenceLives.

Posted by: roryg ()
Date: September 4, 2005 22:53

Very few gin mills in the immediate vicinity, but Buddy Guy's Legends is within a bit of a hike (if it's open that early).

Date: September 4, 2005 23:21

Unfortunately 2 dudes coming in our group are under 21 so that kindof nixes the shidoobee party for us. We're all youngsters anyways so its not like we know anyone on shidoobee or rocksoff. I'm the only person in the group who's seen the Stones before (chicago will be my 5th show), the others are all newbies. Cant wait to see them go nuts when they attend the most impressive concert of their collective lives.

I could definately use some suggestions for hotspots to checkout. Friday night I'm sure we'll head to the downtown hapnin area or what not, but Saturday its all up in the air. We're getting passes for the rail so if you can tell me what line/stop I need to get to, that would be killer. Any suggestions for Saturday would be most excellent. I've thought about going to Chess but thats about it.

Also, any rules about smoking in Chicago? Do you get grief at bars/restaurants?
Drake

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: September 4, 2005 23:29

Drake: I see now. While you are on I-65, tune to 93 WXRT for Pre Stones "stuff". Great Luck.........s

Date: September 4, 2005 23:37

drake Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Unfortunately 2 dudes coming in our group are
> under 21 so that kindof nixes the shidoobee party
> for us. We're all youngsters anyways so its not
> like we know anyone on shidoobee or rocksoff. I'm
> the only person in the group who's seen the Stones
> before (chicago will be my 5th show), the others
> are all newbies. Cant wait to see them go nuts
> when they attend the most impressive concert of
> their collective lives.
>
> I could definately use some suggestions for
> hotspots to checkout.

Hotspots are all over town... what hotel or part of town are you staying ?

Friday night I'm sure we'll
> head to the downtown hapnin area or what not, but
> Saturday its all up in the air. We're getting
> passes for the rail so if you can tell me what
> line/stop I need to get to, that would be killer.

The one I usually take is the Red Line or Orange Line and exit ROOSEVELT... then just follow the crowds east to Soldier Field... it's about an 8 block walk total. Coming back you can reverse it or there's usually dozens of buses lined up just NORTH of the stadium, you hop on those buses and they take you to a convenient downtown drop spot. From there hop on the el train or bus to wherever you're going.

The CTA is real good with telephone information on routes call (312)836-7000 and talk to a live operator.

Also, online there's a good trip planner, just type in your starting point, then select "soldier field" from the drop-down list as destination.

[tripsweb.rtachicago.com]

> Any suggestions for Saturday would be most
> excellent. I've thought about going to Chess but
> thats about it.

The best gig in Chicago saturday nite is the Green Mill Jazz Lounge at Lawrence and Broadway. Starting at midnight is the Sabertooth Jazz Quintet which is straight out of Miles and Coltrane. Real cool authentic chicago crowd, non-touristy.

>
> Also, any rules about smoking in Chicago? Do you
> get grief at bars/restaurants?
> Drake

No, unfortunately for us non-smokers. You can puff away... there are designated non-smoking areas in many places however

Date: September 4, 2005 23:49

We'll restrain ourselves and not blow smoke in everyones faces. We'll be stayin a some hotel near Ohare.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: September 4, 2005 23:53

Hey Drake: Are they still doing all that Road Construction on 80 and 294? Just wanted you to know if you are going to "O".

Date: September 4, 2005 23:53

drake Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We'll restrain ourselves and not blow smoke in
> everyones faces. We'll be stayin a some hotel
> near Ohare.

Do yourselves a big favor and don't stay anywhere near O'Tourist Hare...

These hotels would be great for 4 young guys who want a safe neighborhood in the heart of non-tourist Chicago... they're also near DePaul so alot of babes in the Lincoln Park area:

1) Days Inn around 640 W. Diversey at Clark... don't do the Days Inn at 1819 N. Clark, it's sorta in middle of nowhere.

2) Inn at Lincoln Park (INNLP.com)

Also in same general area:

3) The Willows (on Surf just east of Broadway)... note if you head north of here on Broadway you'll be in what has been the "predominantly gay" section of town. South of here towards Diversey it's a "full city mix", all kinds of people.

4) Belair Hotel... kind of a simple place but incredible location on Diversey near Sheridan.

For the above hotels there's all kinda Clark-22, Broadway-36, Sheridan-151 buses, taxi's, and the closest el-train is the Diversey stop about 4 blocks away.

Also consider in the adjacent Lakeview neighborhood:

5) City Suites on Belmont between Clark and Sheffield, it's right under the el-train.

The above 5 hotels are probably all under $100 a night per room, have great transportation, surrounded by restaurants and bars, etc. Lotsa friendly people around, everything in walking distance... and non-touristy.

A taxi from the airport runs around $30 to this area. OR you could do the Airport Shuttle, but for 4 guys splitting a cab is the cheapest and most direct.
Otherwise you can take the Blue Line train to Belmont, exit Belmont and take the Belmont bus EAST to Clark and catch a taxi there to your hotel. Might even be a taxi around the Belmont blue line, but if not just take the belmont bus eastbound to clark. That whole trip from the airport to Belmont/Clark will cost you 2 bucks on the Blue Line, transferring to the Belmont bus.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2005-09-05 00:56 by CreedenceLives.

Date: September 5, 2005 00:07

Drake,

The person above me gave you great info..DO NOT STAY AROUND O'HARE! It is a wasteland at night...if you try to go anywhere on foot you'll feel like a vagrant.

One other suggestion, though. there is a new, clean, and modern hostel a short walk from Soldier Field. It's named H. I. Chicago at 24 Congress Parkway. Word is quite a few cool foreigners stay there and its cheap. Its worth at least checking it out...

What row will you be in? I'll come and say hello.

Inopeng

Date: September 5, 2005 00:54

Cant tell you how much I appreciate the headsup! I'm booking the rooms today. Hopefully atleast one of those will give us a AAA discount.

I have no use for the airport. The only reason I was gonna stay out there is I had heard it was inexpensive. I'd rather stay in any of the digs you mentioned, and I'll be pursuing them today.

Row 5, section 243. Just look for the redheaded dude with a killer trimmed beard. ScotchIrish represent! My Hi-MD recorder arrives Tuesday and my stealth mics are already here. Now I just need to get a killer windbreaker jacket and I'll be set to go.

Drake

Posted by: laurieB ()
Date: September 9, 2005 06:38

Creedence Lives...

Since you are offering up great 'non-touristy' Chicago advice I thought I would ask you opinion on Chicago pizzarias.

I'm from Michigan, about 200 miles right up the coast of Lake Michigan from Chitown. I love the windy city and go as often as possible. I'm taking my date (want him to be my boyfriend) to the Stones concert as a b-day surprise and will most likely take your advice on Green Mill for later in the night, as we both love Blues & Jazz.

Any suggestions for dinner in the area? Love cultural food, especially greek and thai, but he hasn't had a chicago style pizza either! A class unto itself in my opinion. I prefer Giordano's deep dish, but that's me!

Whatever 'don't miss' restaurants, events, destinations, etc would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Laurie

Posted by: stonestom ()
Date: September 9, 2005 06:48

Drake me and my college buddies are coming from Michigan. We are all under 21. But that is the beatuy of id's. Sitting in sectino 325!!! Hail to the stones what a show it will be. Alright boys see ya there.

~~TOM

Date: September 9, 2005 07:22

most killer. anyone who wants to meet at/before the show, or on friday evening (as we'll be hitting up the nightlife) 502-609-9317 here's to hoping i make it in and out with my recording gear. regardless of the setlist i know the show will kickass. hearing ONNYA live is probably gonna be the highlight for me.

Posted by: stonestom ()
Date: September 9, 2005 07:44

Yo Drake i would love to meet before the show or something. Your a college kid I think so it would be cool to mix and mingle. YOu think of a plan or something. We could meet and tailgate for a little have a couple beers. I am bringing two of my boys and a girl from our school. Would love to share good times with other stones fans my age.

~~TOM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1594
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home