Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Is Starf*cker about a single individual ?
Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: September 18, 2009 17:59

Or just about groupies ?

Re: Is Starf*cker about a single individual ?
Posted by: dewlover ()
Date: September 18, 2009 18:25

Bianca...or no, that was "Respectable"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-18 18:26 by dewlover.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: September 18, 2009 18:26

It was directed at Jerry on one recent tour, as he replaced the lyric "...giving head to Steve McQueen" w/ "...Brian Ferry,"...

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 18, 2009 18:46

The 64 million dollar question. A question mark hangs over whether it's a riposte to Carly Simon for writing You're So Vain (which is either about Mick or, more likely, Warren Beatty).

My guess is it's just a snide put down for groupies in general.

I've always thought that this song marks the point were the Stones first ventured into self parody - the trade mark Chuck Berry guitar, the sneering mysoginistic lyrics.

Posted by: mccparty ()
Date: September 18, 2009 18:49

Anyone know which show this was:

It was directed at Jerry on one recent tour, as he replaced the lyric "...giving head to Steve McQueen" w/ "...Brian Ferry,"...

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: September 18, 2009 21:58

Who knows but could easily be a a pen-picture of Pamela Des Barres.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: September 18, 2009 22:00

I think it's groupies in general. I am not a huge fan, but a few years ago Nine Inch Nails released a song in a similar vain called "Starf*ckers, Inc." It was about Marilyn Manson and Courtney Love (both of whom I respect a lot less than Trent Reznor).

More useless trivia - R.E.M. had a song in the early 90's called 'F*ck Me Kitten'. They did it for their 'Automatic for the People' album. Well as the story goes, actress Meg Ryan paid them a visit at the studio while they were cutting it, and they complained the label wouldn't let them use that title for the album cover. Meg, who was apparently a big Stones fan, suggested they replace the expletive w/Star, citing 'Star Star' as the inspiration for the idea. Funny how Stones influence shows up in the least obvious places of other bands' music sometimes (I have also hear REM were big Stones fans too, w/guitarist Peter Buck admitting to be Keith wannabe, and by covering 'Paint It Black' and 'Honky Tonk Women' at some of their early shows).

The more you know!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2098
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home