Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: August 7, 2005 01:07

A great American Rock n Roll band, wouldn't you guys agree? They are on tour in 2005, and its called "For the Hell of It". Original bassist Ron Blair has rejoined them-- Howie Epstein succumbed to bad habits--what is it about bassplayers?

Nevertheless, what a great setlist this band can offer --- everyone on this board knows them, don't they?

Re: OT: Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: August 7, 2005 01:09

I saw them last year here san diego. The were good not great. I guess it was the seats

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: August 7, 2005 01:11

What happened to Howie?

Posted by: gibb76 ()
Date: August 7, 2005 01:11

I have been waiting to see them for 10 years in Hartford, CT. On the way to the concert I felt very sick and WHAM....I barfed in the car while driving. I had the flu for the next three days.

They are fantastic in concert and I missed them this time around.

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: August 7, 2005 01:14

Shawn20 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What happened to Howie?

Shawn, I'm sorry to say that Howie died of a drug overdose.

Posted by: cinema ()
Date: August 7, 2005 01:23

I'm a fan
since years.

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: August 7, 2005 01:24

saw Dylan With pettys band in 87 ,funny thing about that show was dylan would do about 8 of his songs ,them petty would do about 4 of his ,but every time petty would start his set the crowd booed him big time,,the price ya pay for tourin with big bob i guess...

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: August 7, 2005 02:19

A great band.

Last time I saw them live was in 1992 at the time of the release of "Into the Great Wide Open". They were absolutely magnificent, but apart from a one-off show a few years ago, they have sadly kept away from the UK.

I went out and bought the "Live from the Fillmore DVD" on the strength of someone on this site and was blown away by it! Thank you to whomever it was!

That said, whenever I hear "When Money Became King" off of the Last DJ I cannot help but think of the current Stones management.

Posted by: Gramps ()
Date: August 7, 2005 02:30

since the Rolling Stones won't be at any "small" venue/clubs this tour - I'm going to the Joint in Las Vegas to hear Tom Petty - all general admission so should be a great show - no opening act - pure Petty. I'm excited to see him after all these years and especially after the work he did with the Traveling Wilburys.

the lights on but nobody's home

Posted by: dennysmith61 ()
Date: August 7, 2005 03:11

Love Tom

To be Honest I never got the whole Bruce passion

obviuosly gives his all in concert but music ?

I just don't it

What 3 Good cd's maybe 4

Love Love Tunnel the only time his music went away from that blue colar
Jersey shore mentalty

But Thats me to each his own

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 7, 2005 03:16

will see them in a coupla weeks at the Berkeley Greek - with the Black Crowes opening. TP puts on a good show - seen him several times over the eons.

Crowes at the Fillmore were a little disappointing to me last nite (never seen them before -but own most of their stuff) - no Stones closer and no Dylan cover either. Sound was about the worst I've ever heard at the Fillmore - they were suffering from modern-day Stones mixing problems (i.e. - you couldn't really hear the geetars...)

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: August 7, 2005 03:22

i hav this petty concert that i taped off of mtv back in i guess 85 @ the wiltern theater,,the show starts with A.girl & before'" the waiting" he talks about how he wrote it,,the oncore is lil bit of soul,,,any1 no the title of the dvd & is their a dvd in Very good Quality, Picture & sound wise ,,,,Any info Apprecuiated ,,,, p.s. this is the 1 where the crowd sings 1 verse of breakdown..great stuff

Posted by: WAYNEPA ()
Date: August 7, 2005 18:11

Chippy...it's called "Pack Up the Plantation". This was the tour for the album at the time called "Southern Accent". A friend of mine worked security for the Capitol Theatre in Passaic, N.J. and the Meadowlands Arena in N.J. When I arrived in the balcony at the Arena that night, my son went with me, but went in earlier, found me up in the balcony and told me that my buddy Andy could get us in the front row, but we had to go down right now. We were in the front row. My head was on a level with Mike Campbell's knees. At the end, the drummer Stan Lynch threw my son a drum stick, which I still have today.

Posted by: R ()
Date: August 7, 2005 20:05

"What happened to Howie?"

He OD'd about three years ago shortly after being fired by Petty.

Howie used to go to my junior high and highschool. He was a little prick but a helluva musician. I remember seeing him in church basements. He had got to sleep with Carleen CArter and make records with Johnny Cash however. His life couldn't have been too bad.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: August 8, 2005 09:33

PBS ran a Tom Petty show and I think it was called "The Last VJ" It was recorded in LA. It's all new stuff and I liked it.

Wouldn't it be great if he could open for the boys in MSG??????????

Posted by: jss ()
Date: August 8, 2005 12:22

saw t.p. last month and it was all right...it seems that he has fallen into the trap of playing war horses...though he did play to new songs that were fantastic and a decent deep cut from wildflowers but the rest of the show was devoted to songs you hear six hundred times on the radio...plus it seemed as though mike campbell was holding back and if there is anyone out there who has seen mike on a wild night, he can rip the roof off of any place...would love to see him at the warfield where tom really does whatever he wants...lots of bluesy covers and such...still, always a solid performer and puts out great music...american girl is a great rock and roll song...

Posted by: Rockingfan ()
Date: August 8, 2005 12:36

I saw Tom Petty in Mannheim Germany about ?? oh I think 20 years ago in a small place with about 500 people. The stage was so low and no barrier that you could reach hime. An absolutely wonderful concert I recall every minute.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2688
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home