Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

o.t.---Creedence clearwater revival
Posted by: Havo ()
Date: July 11, 2005 00:32

just heard a lot of Stones-stuff From 68-72 and now put in CCR. really a great band. What do you think about CCR?

Re: o.t.---Creedence clearwater revival
Posted by: john r ()
Date: July 11, 2005 00:55

CCR was the first 'concert' I attended, in 1970 (again in '71, as a trio). I loved them, bought all the hit singles in their picture sleeves. Amazing, for a short period of time, Fogerty was ON, cranking out 6 classic albums, 1 in 68, 3 in '69, 2 in '70, tremendous creativity within a musical concept. The sound - the ambience - of those albums is pitch perfect too, & they're filled with the mystery of the Delta, Sun Records, Tombstone Shadows, Graveyard Trains, which they absorbed through love of rock & roll. One of the greats.

Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: July 11, 2005 01:07

Great band,actually it's Fogerty who is great,a fantastic musician.CCR music is not diverse,it's all about playing some roots rock,but they are certainly among the best when it comes to it.

My fav song must be Lodi.

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: July 11, 2005 17:40

I love them. So simple, but so nice too...

I think "Long As I Can The Light" and "Hideway" are perfect ballads.

Other fav songs: first of all "Fortunate Son". Next, "Proud Mary", "Sweet Hitch-Hiker", "Someday Never Comes", "Bad Moon Rising".

It's my #2 fav band...

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: July 11, 2005 18:12

Havo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
What do you think about CCR?

Great gritty southern rock 'n roll.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: July 11, 2005 18:20

"Southern" rock 'n roll? They are from El Cerrito, California. Part of the SF Bay Area scene in the 60's....

Date: July 11, 2005 18:31

OK. South Eastern rock 'n roll. Happy now??? grinning smiley

JumpingKentFlash

Date: July 11, 2005 19:53

getting colder, Kent....try moving this in a northwesterly direction....

Posted by: bartman ()
Date: July 11, 2005 21:01

Great great music. John Fogerty is a hell of a songwriter. He must have written his songs with a golden pencil. I really love their version of Before you accuse me.

Date: July 11, 2005 21:45

Those 1968 - 71 songs had a lot of depth, & were very carefully written. The simplicity is deceptive. Also Clifford/Cook/Tom F were the perfect band for JF, much of his later recordings have a somewhat mechanical feel, & the inspiration just isnt in more than 1 or 2 songs per album (after the '75 Asylum album anyway)

Posted by: mark ()
Date: July 11, 2005 22:26

I've said it before and I'll say it again. There is little live material for CCR out there...get some. As others that have seen them will attest, their records were very over produced...live their songs were played faster and with more pure R&R feel.

Date: July 11, 2005 23:52

Over produced? I mean, the embellishments on these beautifully produced records consist of the occasional piano part, or a sax here & there beginning with their 5th album. The 2 live albums (The Concert, or whatever the revised title was on the set issued in '80, & Live In Europe from '73) are good, but to me Fogerty was a terrific producer whose CCR albums sound like nothing else from the era. My favorite piece on CCR was by Robert Christgau in his book "Any Old Way You Choose It" (1973) - compares & contrasts CCR & the Doors in a most illuminating way.

Date: July 12, 2005 01:36

i agree with John - I find nothing in CCR's catalogue that smacks of over-production. Among John's solo efforts, only Eye of the Zombie might be classified as such.

Posted by: R ()
Date: July 12, 2005 01:38

I loved the beauty and simplicity of CCR. To me they are the Velvet Underground of hippie rock.

Date: July 12, 2005 19:18

T&A Wrote:
> getting colder, Kent....try moving this in a
> northwesterly direction....

Damn it. grinning smiley

It sure sounds like southern rock. They don't sound like the efferson Airplane do they??? smiling smiley

JumpingKentFlash

Date: July 12, 2005 19:27

JumpingKentFlash Wrote:
> T&A Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > >
> It sure sounds like southern rock. They don't
> sound like the efferson Airplane do they???
>

Not at all. Lotsa fans back in the day assumed these guys were from the Lousiana swampland.

Incidentally, when my wife was a school kid, her family lived next door to Stu Cook (CCR bassist) in Berkeley - he used to have them over for dinner - he'd have lobster flown in that day on a regular basis.

Date: July 12, 2005 19:32

T&A Wrote:
> Not at all. Lotsa fans back in the day assumed
> these guys were from the Lousiana swampland.
>
> Incidentally, when my wife was a school kid, her
> family lived next door to Stu Cook (CCR bassist)
> in Berkeley - he used to have them over for dinner
> - he'd have lobster flown in that day on a regular
> basis.

That's phenomenal. How cool to have those dudes at the table. Weird thought actually.

I still regard CCR as the most gritty Southern style r 'n r I ever heard though. grinning smiley

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: July 12, 2005 19:41

Love Creedence. Actually I am this minute listening to "Run through the jungle" but by another great and underrated American band The Gun Club. I'm sure a lot of Stones fans would love this band if they ever heard them. They were active in the 80's but the leader is now dead unfortunately,great band.
Im going to Robert Cray toight and i'm getting in the mood, Elmore James next then Some Girls smiling smiley

Date: July 12, 2005 19:47

Cray! Another cool dude. I watched him develop his fledgling chops in Eugene back in the late 70's - used to watch him for no cover at a couple of local bars. His new album has a coupla anti-war protest songs that are "right on."

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 12, 2005 20:12

Please, Please, stop saying ccr is Southern Rock or even close to it. I know lots of people enjoy their music (my stepfather played their records all the time,probably why they are not enjoyed by me) but they don't have the raw, rockin, incredible sound that Marshall Tucker, the Allman Brothers, Skynyrd, Black Foot, ect. have. O.k. now that I have vented I feel much better now. Thanks, CW in the CSA

Posted by: mark ()
Date: July 12, 2005 21:40

john r / T&A....when I say overproduced I mean in comparison with what a band sounds like live. In CCR's case your comments about the 'quality' and such of CCR records I totaly agree with. But after I saw them live I gravitated to the fact that much like the Stones their live versions realy rocked. Songs that came off one way on the album (smoother, cleaner, et.) came off as uptempo guitar pieces....this is what I evolved to love about them....live they were a kick butt guitar rock garage band, in albums they had a very polished sound and like you said unique sound....no argument. An example of this would be JF's Premonition album, listen to say "Old Man Down The Road" from the album then play the live version, the guitar licks just jump out at you and the song takes on a new life.

One of the top songs I would include in a "if I could make just one CD" would be the live cut of It Came Out of The Sky. I doubt most could even remember it or note it on the original album or best of CD because it is...to me....over produced...too smooth. The live version just may be the best example of classic R&R guitar licks and basic rock composition all wrapped in one. The lyrics are rediculous which may explain it's lack of popularity.

Next to the Stones I have yet to see a concert of higher guitar R&R energy than CCR but I rarely play the studio cuts as they do not capture the raw R&R energy.

That's my definition of over produced in their case. Hope that helps.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1177
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home