Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Stones petitioned New York City for a 2010 event in Brooklyn's Prospect Park
Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: September 8, 2009 21:49

From Bill German:

Watts Up With That?

(September 6, 2009) -- With a 2010 Stones tour possibly looming, the band members have been keeping their chops together by collaborating with other artists.

Charlie spent part of the summer drumming behind boogie-woogie pianists Ben Waters and Axel Zwingenberger.
Unfortunately, as their jazz combo toured British theaters last week, a false rumor spread that Charlie was quitting the Stones.
The story was cooked up by an Australian web site and caught on like wildfire. Charlie was forced to publicly deny the rumor and to state he ain't goin' nowhere -- he is still happily a member of the Rolling Stones.

Keith, who hopes to get the Stones in the studio by early next year, has himself been in the studio recently, laying down tracks with Jack White of the White Stripes.
Keith took a vacation in Venice over the summer and seems eager to work again.

Mick, who was recently spotted in Tuscany and Elba, recorded a duet a few months back with chanteuse Joss Stone.
It was for a project to benefit the United Nations and should see the light of day within the next few weeks.

Ronnie's been limbering up by guesting onstage with Pearl Jam and with his buddy Slash. The Pearl Jam jam took place on August 11 at Shepherd's Bush Empire in London (Ronnie helped them cover "All Along The Watchtower" ),
while the Slash-and-burn occurred June 30 at the Quart Festival in Kristiansand, Norway. Ronnie and the former Guns 'N Roser pounded out "Honky Tonk Women," "Stay With Me," "Knockin' On Heaven's Door," and "It's Only Rock 'N Roll."

As for a 2010 Stones tour, it's too early to tell. The Stones petitioned New York City for a 2010 event in Brooklyn's Prospect Park
(probably a press conference, a la their 2002 "Licks" tour announcement in The Bronx's Van Cortlandt Park), but whether they follow through with it -- let alone a full tour -- remains to be seen.

In the meantime, you can cure your Stones jones with some upcoming CDs or with a new Stones-related book.
Reissues of "Exile On Main Street" and "Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out," both due in November, will feature previously unreleased bonus tracks.
(Mick and Keith are personally handpicking the "Exile" outtakes. The "Ya-Ya's" extras will include five songs -- Prodigal Son, You Gotta Move, Under My Thumb, I'm Free, Satisfaction -- that were recorded at the band's 1969 Madison Square Garden shows.)

[www.beggarsbanquetonline.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-09 07:01 by erikjjf.

Re: The Stones petitioned New York City for a 2010 event in Brooklyn's Prospect Park
Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: September 9, 2009 09:31

I'm there. My friends live a few houses from the park!

Re: The Stones petitioned New York City for a 2010 event in Brooklyn's Prospect Park
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 9, 2009 09:51

Any confirmation that Mick and Keith are picking the extra tracks for the Exile re-release.? What are they likely to be?

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: September 9, 2009 09:59

Just goes to show that Bill still has his fingers on the pulse in all matters Stones

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: September 9, 2009 14:41

How big is this Park? Is it big enough to land a zeppelin like ship in it? Perhaps they're thinking of a concert? Although why they wouuldn't just do Central Park for that I don't know, so I guess I'm inclined to agree with the press conference theory on that one.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 9, 2009 15:08

thank you Bill German.keep digging up the news on our favorite band.good job

Posted by: njlstones815 ()
Date: September 9, 2009 16:37

5 minutes from my home I'll be there!

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: September 9, 2009 17:23

I think the Stones should announce their possible next tour from an oil tanker!

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: September 9, 2009 17:40

I prefer a basic battleship. Oil tankers bring Nordic Atlantic to mind ...damn that stock.

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: September 9, 2009 17:52

I'd prefer Hyde Park in London and that the last tour should start in Europe where it all began in the early 60's.

Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: September 9, 2009 18:04

Whooohoooooooooo, now that's some great news for sure.

Mike

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: September 9, 2009 22:13

NickB
Just goes to show that Bill still has his fingers on the pulse in all matters Stones

It also helps that he's got a book to promote. Bill learned more than a few tricks from the Stones.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Stones petitioned NYC for an event in Prospect Park in 2010.
Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: September 28, 2009 16:16

From beggarsbanquet online:
As for a 2010 Stones tour, it's too early to tell. The Stones petitioned New York City for a 2010 event in Brooklyn's Prospect Park (probably a press conference, a la their 2002 "Licks" tour announcement in The Bronx's Van Cortlandt Park), but whether they follow through with it -- let alone a full tour -- remains to be seen.

Interresting! My guess is this "event" will be in March - to coincide with the release of "Exile".

Re: Stones petitioned NYC for an event in Prospect Park in 2010.
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: September 28, 2009 16:17

Been posted before, but have not heard much since.

Date: September 28, 2009 16:18

Sorry!
Didn't see it. Was in London that week...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-28 16:19 by Addicted.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 28, 2009 16:19

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: September 29, 2009 21:56

My earliest memory is walking through Prospect Park, prolly in 1960.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: September 30, 2009 02:40

Is the Exile release set for November?? I thought that one wasn't out until 2010.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 30, 2009 02:43

Addicted
As for a 2010 Stones tour, it's too early to tell. The Stones petitioned New York City for a 2010 event in Brooklyn's Prospect Park (probably a press conference, a la their 2002 "Licks" tour announcement in The Bronx's Van Cortlandt Park), but whether they follow through with it -- let alone a full tour -- remains to be seen.

Interresting! My guess is this "event" will be in March - to coincide with the release of "Exile".

a press conference to release a new version of a 38 year old album?

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: September 30, 2009 09:52

Gazza
Addicted

Well, it aint just any album, is it? thumbs up

Date: September 30, 2009 14:32

Gazza
Addicted

Agree with Baboon Bro that it's not juat any album - it's EXILE!
And I've heard they have more news to present around that time. And no, they probably wouldn't have thought of booking Prospect Park to announce the re-release of Exile.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 30, 2009 15:28

Baboon Bro
Gazza
Addicted

Well, it aint just any album, is it? thumbs up

No, but its still hardly worthy of a major media event.

Agree that its much more likely to be tour-related, but as I understand it, at the minute something like this is still only at the 'option' stage.....there's nothing concrete about what kind of tour they're going to do, what they'll be touring behind or how its going to be announced.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: September 30, 2009 17:10

Exile is not worthy of a press conference. As backward thinking as Mick is with the set lists, does anyone actually think he would do that for an old album? It wasn't when it was reissued in 1994. With exception to people who already have the album and will only buy it because it has extra tracks, nobody cares. They're not The Beatles. Neither of these reissues are going to dominate the charts. I will only buy it to hear the extra tracks, not for the UMe brickwalling remastering job.

Maybe if they reissue Forty Licks they'll hop in a hybrid blimp this time to let the world know they're going back out on the road to play the EXACT SAME SET LISTS as the previous Licks tour and that it will be the next to last tour.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: September 30, 2009 18:49

skipstone
Maybe if they reissue Forty Licks they'll hop in a hybrid blimp this time to let the world know they're going back out on the road to play the EXACT SAME SET LISTS as the previous Licks tour and that it will be the next to last tour.

If you're talking about the Bercy or the Olympia setlist, I would not mind a bit.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: November 5, 2009 20:21

More Ya-Ya's To Come!

(November 3, 2009) -- As rumors of a 2010 Stones tour continue to flourish, the individual band members have made a slew of public appearances in recent weeks.

On October 30, Mick performed a guest spot with U2 during the star-studded Rock and Roll Hall of Fame concert at Madison Square Garden in New York.
He duetted with Bono on "Gimme Shelter" -- Fergie of the Black Eyed Peas provided the "rape, murder" vocals -- and on U2's "Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of."

On October 25, Ronnie teamed up with his old Faces mates at Royal Albert Hall in London. Rod Stewart didn't attend, but it was the closest thing to a band reunion in years.
Ronnie on guitar, Ian McLagan on keyboards, and Kenney Jones on drums, with Bill Wyman recruited for bass duties. Their three-song set capped an all-star benefit for the Heart of Music Foundation.
They used three different vocalists in lieu of Rod: Paul Carrack (of Squeeze) for "Cindy Incidentally," Andy Fairweather-Low for "Ooh La La," and Mick Hucknall (of Simply Red) for "Stay With Me."
Ronnie has been so eager to play, he even hopped into a clothing store window a few weeks ago to jam with his son Jesse's band, the Black Swan Effect.
It was at the BT2 store on Grafton Street in Dublin, where Woody and his son surprised passerby by replacing the mannequins and pounding out a three-song set.

On October 17, Keith was onstage at the Greek Theatre in Los Angeles, as part of "Scream 2009," an awards show that celebrates the horror and sci-fi genres.
(Insert your own Keith joke.) Johnny Depp presented Keith with something called the "Rock Immortal Award."
As Keith accepted the trophy, he muttered, "Just what I needed." Keith once received a "Living Legend" honor at a similar pseudo-awards show,
but did recognize that "Immortal is even better." Keith hasn't played guitar in public for a while, but reports that he recently did some session work with Jack White of the White Stripes.

Charlie is still touring British pubs and theaters, drumming behind boogie-woogie pianists Ben Waters and Axel Zwingenberger. Next stop for the trio is the Bull's Head Pub in Barnes on November 17.

Charlie recently had to refute rumors that he was quitting the Stones. Keith, meanwhile, is saying that he'd like to get the Stones in the studio after New Year's and have them on the road by the end of 2010.
The Stones have looked into the possibilities of staging a May 2010 event in Brooklyn's Prospect Park (presumably a press conference or mini-concert to announce a tour), but it's too early to make predictions.

In the meantime, Stones fans can keep their fingers crossed and can feast on some Stones-related goodies for the holidays.
The biggest treat is the "Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out" deluxe box set, available through Amazon, which contains not just a remastered version of the original disc,
but a CD containing five unreleased bonus tracks -- Under My Thumb, You Gotta Move, Prodigal Son, I'm Free, and Satisfaction --
which were all recorded at the same November 1969 Madison Square Garden concerts as "Ya-Ya's."
The box set also includes a DVD of those five performances -- click on the individual song links above to view excerpts --
as well as a booklet, a mini-poster, and a CD of the Stones' opening acts (B.B. King and Ike & Tina Turner) .
Oh, and there's even a super deluxe version of the box set that includes three vinyl discs to match the three CDs. (See below for a chance to win a copy.)

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 6, 2009 11:36

thanks erikjjf! and for those who find lengthy italics hard to read ...

More Ya-Ya's To Come!

(November 3, 2009) -- As rumors of a 2010 Stones tour continue to flourish, the individual band members have made a slew of public appearances in recent weeks.

On October 30, Mick performed a guest spot with U2 during the star-studded Rock and Roll Hall of Fame concert at Madison Square Garden in New York. He duetted with Bono on "Gimme Shelter" -- Fergie of the Black Eyed Peas provided the "rape, murder" vocals -- and on U2's "Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of."

On October 25, Ronnie teamed up with his old Faces mates at Royal Albert Hall in London. Rod Stewart didn't attend, but it was the closest thing to a band reunion in years. Ronnie on guitar, Ian McLagan on keyboards, and Kenney Jones on drums, with Bill Wyman recruited for bass duties. Their three-song set capped an all-star benefit for the Heart of Music Foundation. They used three different vocalists in lieu of Rod: Paul Carrack (of Squeeze) for "Cindy Incidentally," Andy Fairweather-Low for "Ooh La La," and Mick Hucknall (of Simply Red) for "Stay With Me." Ronnie has been so eager to play, he even hopped into a clothing store window a few weeks ago to jam with his son Jesse's band, the Black Swan Effect. It was at the BT2 store on Grafton Street in Dublin, where Woody and his son surprised passerby by replacing the mannequins and pounding out a three-song set.

On October 17, Keith was onstage at the Greek Theatre in Los Angeles, as part of "Scream 2009," an awards show that celebrates the horror and sci-fi genres. (Insert your own Keith joke.) Johnny Depp presented Keith with something called the "Rock Immortal Award." As Keith accepted the trophy, he muttered, "Just what I needed." Keith once received a "Living Legend" honor at a similar pseudo-awards show, but did recognize that "Immortal is even better." Keith hasn't played guitar in public for a while, but reports that he recently did some session work with Jack White of the White Stripes.

Charlie is still touring British pubs and theaters, drumming behind boogie-woogie pianists Ben Waters and Axel Zwingenberger. Next stop for the trio is the Bull's Head Pub in Barnes on November 17.

Charlie recently had to refute rumors that he was quitting the Stones. Keith, meanwhile, is saying that he'd like to get the Stones in the studio after New Year's and have them on the road by the end of 2010. The Stones have looked into the possibilities of staging a May 2010 event in Brooklyn's Prospect Park (presumably a press conference or mini-concert to announce a tour), but it's too early to make predictions.

In the meantime, Stones fans can keep their fingers crossed and can feast on some Stones-related goodies for the holidays. The biggest treat is the "Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out" deluxe box set, available through Amazon, which contains not just a remastered version of the original disc, but a CD containing five unreleased bonus tracks -- Under My Thumb, You Gotta Move, Prodigal Son, I'm Free, and Satisfaction -- which were all recorded at the same November 1969 Madison Square Garden concerts as "Ya-Ya's." The box set also includes a DVD of those five performances -- click on the individual song links above to view excerpts -- as well as a booklet, a mini-poster, and a CD of the Stones' opening acts (B.B. King and Ike & Tina Turner) . Oh, and there's even a super deluxe version of the box set -- which you can see here -- that includes three vinyl discs to match the three CDs. (See below for a chance to win a copy.)

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: November 6, 2009 11:46

erikjjf
.The Stones have looked into the possibilities of staging a May 2010 event in Brooklyn's Prospect Park (presumably a press conference or mini-concert to announce a tour), but it's too early to make predictions.

Awwwww my God ,I will get crazy for sure if this turns into reality.smiling bouncing smiley

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: November 6, 2009 22:25

Sway, honey, now don't get too excited too soon. They will tour and then you can go crazy.

Posted by: njlstones815 ()
Date: November 6, 2009 23:12

Spoke today with a long time friend who is a big-wig in NYC parks department and showed him this story. He said to me that they recieved a letter requesting prospect park (10 minutes from my house) but the letter was just an informal very vauge in the time frame and for what purpose the Stones wanted a permit for. Will keep asking him as the time passes.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: November 7, 2009 02:05

njlstones815
Spoke today with a long time friend who is a big-wig in NYC parks department and showed him this story. He said to me that they recieved a letter requesting prospect park (10 minutes from my house) but the letter was just an informal very vauge in the time frame and for what purpose the Stones wanted a permit for. Will keep asking him as the time passes.

Glass half full.....They actually requested the park.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1176
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home