Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Hot spots in Asia
Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: July 9, 2005 15:20

In two weeks I'm going on a long trip to Asia. I'm planning on staying there for at least a year. Sometimes relaxing, sometimes working (photographer). I'll be starting in China. Next are Tibet / Nepal / India / Pakistan / Vietnam / Laos / Cambodia / Thailand / Malaysia. Anybody know some not to be missed spots that are not mentioned in every Lonely Planet? I've closed one deal to make several photographic series about Train stations / railways. So all tips regarding this topic would be great!

Re: OT: Hot spots in Asia
Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: July 9, 2005 16:49

Being one of the greatest railway-enthusiasts around I feel like you stole my job winking smiley
Still, I'm a lousy photographer.

What magazine/publisher are you going to work for?

I'm afraid I haven't got many tips for you as I've never been there. And then again I'm not one that is in for the special nostalgic rides and the tourist attractions. @#$%& the River Kwai I'd say. I'm the kind of enthusiast that really komt klaar over everyday commuter traffic, timetables and materieelomlopen.

Regarding evryday traffic, you happen to be visiting most of the countries that still hold on to steam engines in everyday service. If you have any interest in this subject you might wanna read Lou Johnson's "World Steam Since 1980", chapter 1, 2 and 3.

If you're visiting India, apart from the remaining steam engines and the transsubcontinantal expresses, remember that you're in one of the greatest transporting commuter networks existing. The system was founded by the British and is now mostly run over by EMU's (electric multiple units, like our "sprinters" etc.) in a frequency that this railway was hardly designed for. Please bring back some photos regarding the Delhi and Calcutta rush hour! The scenes of overcrowding will be beyond imagination appearantly. New Delhi has recently opened its first underground line.

Regarding Malaysia, the railways are dominated by a highly efficient narrow gauge railway system around Kuala Lumpur. It connects to Singapore The railway station in Kuala Lumpur is a beauty, I've got a pic of that somewhere. If my scanner weren't down, I'd scan it for u.

Have a good year and do some nice spotting for us!

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: July 9, 2005 17:20

Hi Potted Shrimp (what a weird name you have LOL) I know this is not a Stonesy question, but it sounds real interesting what you do. Do you work for a service or a specific publication? Do you freelance or is this an artictic venture? Whatever it is it sounds like a great gig. You should be happy. I would love, LOVE to see East Asia just one time.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: July 9, 2005 17:20

Potted Shrimp, I've been to Thailand for three weeks recently, as part of a university program to see the effects of the Tsunami.
I spent quite some time with locals there and they showed us some nice spots around Phuket. If you want to know more you can write me an email and I tell you exactly where these places are! Good place to go there now - no tourists, probably rain for 1 or 2 hours a day, but the rest is sunshine and great weather!
Unfortunately, I don't know about railways there sad smiley

email to: LLveil-iorr@yahoo.de

Belgrade-Bucharest-Budapest-Brno

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: July 9, 2005 18:36

Limbo: Thanks for the info. I also kom klaar over timetables! I've been to India before and the steam-train to Darjeeling (the place were the theeblaadjes come from) was briljant. It was 88 km. narrowgauge. It took 11 hours (kids outran the train uphill lotst of time for fun.......). Got some great pics from that trip. I'm planning on going there again!

Chelsea: It's going to be a freelance job. I've being working on this project off and on for several years now. Someday there will be a book.....

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: July 9, 2005 21:29

Mmm, I've never kom klaar on timetables, maybe I should see a doctor..

Sounds like a damn interesting year, Shrimp, enjoy it! Be sure to check in once in a while (there's no way to escape the web..) and let us know when the book is ready.

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 3055
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home