Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

KEITH & HEROIN: HOW DID IT START AND WHY DID IT BECOME AS BAD AS IT DID?
Date: July 2, 2005 10:34

I know he did a little bit on the 1969 tour, but what happened when he returned home that caused him to be a full-blown addict by the European Tour in 1970?

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Re: KEITH & HEROIN: HOW DID IT START AND WHY DID IT BECOME AS BAD AS IT DID?
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 2, 2005 11:03

Plain and simply trying to adjust to the boredom of domestic life after coming off a tour. Kinda like GI Joe trying to slot back into everyday life after being in the front line trenches... Wake up - Clock on - Pay The Bills..yawn!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: July 2, 2005 11:18

Who says it really got bad? Did he OD and lose half of his brainpower? Did he have to sell his ass to get dope? Did he get Aids from sharing spikes? Did he lose all his friends,his wife, his job and his home? Did he go to prison?

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: July 2, 2005 11:39

Yes, it got bad!

I think it started before '69 and that he was an addict by then. But it didn't take a hold of him and his creative and playing ability until late '72. Infact it probably enhanced his playing in its early stages. He always had the best (purest) stuff - so little danger of contamination. You can see his decline in his photos from '73 onwards. In '74 he had trouble trying on a pair of jeans in a store in London. The photos on Pay Pack and Follow tell it all. A blessing that he got busted. "Keith Don't Go"!

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: July 2, 2005 12:12

Pay pack and Follow?? Where can I find those? Please tell me! Yes he started in '68 and pretended he wasnt an addict but that's what they all do. His creativity really declined from 73 onwards although I love his playing from that period and in a way think he's at his best then. And I dont think he cared anymore - in the videos from Blach n Blue he's toitally wasted. Its visable on Fool to cry when he sings the chorus.

Re: Pay Pack & Follow
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 2, 2005 12:21

>> Pay Pack and Follow?? Where can I find those? <<

[www.amazon.com]

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-07-02 12:22 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 2, 2005 12:21

John Phillips - Pat Back & Follow Eagle Records 8573883272

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Tom Petty ()
Date: July 2, 2005 13:50

heaps of bread and heaps of spare time

I'm a necessary talent behind ev'ry rock and roll band
I'm sharp...

Date: July 2, 2005 14:43

thanks! found it. Do you have photos from the seeions? anyone know a website with photos of keith from those sessions?

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: July 2, 2005 15:25

Buy the CD. Lots of photos on the 'sleeve'. Can't understand how they forgot who was drumming on many tracks........unless the Heroin is to blame. Anyway you'll love Keith's playing, (and Mick Taylor's).

Posted by: rockroll ()
Date: July 2, 2005 15:27

if you've ever tried heroin, you'll understand why it became as bad as it did

Re: Pay Pack & Follow
Date: July 2, 2005 15:52

>> Buy the CD. <<
good idea!
that link i posted up there has new copies for like $2.45 - the photos alone are worth that much! and there's plenty to like about the music.

- Keith

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: July 2, 2005 20:04

rockroll Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> if you've ever tried heroin, you'll understand why
> it became as bad as it did

I admit I smoked it once about 5 years ago, I puked and it scared me for a while after about an hour it was pleasant buzz but nothing that fantastic. never wanted to try it again, I guees I'm in the minority

Posted by: drake ()
Date: July 3, 2005 09:36

Shooting it is a very different experience. Its 'the shit'. And ofcourse it got bad... Have you seen Ladies and Gents?? Keith lost his teeth to the drug. Must've been 'the shit'.

Re: Keith's tooth
Date: July 3, 2005 10:29

smile: the non-bootleg-equipped can also observe the evolution of Keith's tooth - it's featured prominently in assorted footage from Stones in the Park (69) through the IORR promo (74). by the Faces' Final Concert (also 74) he'd had it revamped.

- Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-07-03 13:52 by with sssoul.

Date: July 3, 2005 13:35

By the way didnt he OD in '70? Besides I think he did O.D more than once.

Posted by: keefkid ()
Date: July 4, 2005 23:45

How did it start?????????

hahaha it was the 60's/70's! He probably started out snortin' & skin popping, then it was like wtf just go for the gusto...I was an addict for 4 years 1980-84, I started out mainlining right away, if you are into getting high it just kinda happens...my buddy chaz describes the high perfectly - it's like touching god ... but the monkey is the devil ... I hate to say it but the only time in my life I was really really happy was when I was on that shit..I got away from it but just found another addiction---lots of alcohol and coke and crank. I don't do much of anything anymore except smoke a little weed, feel lucky I never got aids but I did get Hep C so have to watch the drinking now. Seems to me that Keith kinda quit the same way, alot of current alcoholics are ex-junkies hence the current high rate of liver failure - Hep C and alcohol don't mix. I would not be surprised at all if Keith has hep c too, it works different in everyone - I haven't used a needle in over 20 years and I drank like a fish all my life and my liver damage is only at stage 2 (4 is cirrosis) know someone who shot up a few times 20 years ago and never drank alot and she is at stage 4 already and look at Ray Charles, he quit shooting in the early 60's and just died (last year?) at 70+ of liver problems...never came out if it was from hep c but I wouldn't doubt it.

I know alot of people don't get it like why would you stick a needle in your arm with something you know is going to get you hooked but back in the 70's everyone was doing something, and no one even thought about the consequences it was just the way it was back then...and it is a hard habit to break

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: July 4, 2005 23:54

And it sure aint just a 60´s/70s thing;
Miles & Trane did shit while Glimmer Twins
still played at nursery school.
The opium smoking in the 1800´s is the same thing.
The coca chewing & peyote etc among native Americans
is corresponding... Let go the aboriginals there didnt have rock stars,
but the Shaman was a kind of proto-Keith.

Date: July 5, 2005 00:06

Yea really opium products have been around forever...ever here of Ladum??? And the shit around now is purer then ever..I just meant by 60's/70's (and early 80's) people had a different view of drug use then they do now, we kinda knew the dangers but not really...everyone was doing something and there weren't rehabs on every corner, most people quit cold turkey in jail and then got high again asap

I saw somethin' on a&e I think it was Saturday Night Live 20 years or something and Loren Michaels was talking about Belushi and drug use and he was like, yea we all knew he was doing a bit too much of everything but back then no one intervened, they felt like it was none of their business...but attitudes are different now.

Date: July 5, 2005 06:29

keefkid Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yea really opium products have been around
> forever...ever here of Ladum??? ACTUALLY, IT'S LAUNDANUM And the shit
> around now is purer then ever..I just meant by
> 60's/70's (and early 80's) people had a different
> view of drug use then they do now, we kinda knew
> the dangers but not really...everyone was doing
> something and there weren't rehabs on every
> corner, most people quit cold turkey in jail and
> then got high again asap
>
> I saw somethin' on a&e I think it was Saturday
> Night Live 20 years or something and Loren
> Michaels was talking about Belushi and drug use
> and he was like, yea we all knew he was doing a
> bit too much of everything but back then no one
> intervened, YOU CAIN'T INTERVENE ON SOMEBODY WHO JUST WANTS TO USE; IT'S A PERSONAL CHOICE AND THE PEOPLE AROUND THEM NEED TO TURN THEIR BACKS AND LIVE THEIR LIVES OR THEY BECOME PART OF THE SICK DAISY CHAIN WEB OF ADDICTION they felt like it was none of their
> business...but attitudes are different now.

Posted by: jostorm ()
Date: July 5, 2005 12:57

The alcohol tincture of opium loads of poets and other artists (Oscar Wilde, Edgar Allan Poe, Charles Baudelaire, John Hemingway, the list is endless...) were hooked on is actually spelled "laudanum".

What I have never understood is how artists manage to still be creative, or even stand up on a stage and perform when on drugs, I don't think I could even tie my shoelaces under the influence...

And I don't think anything has changed much from that time period onwards, even the people on this board proudly announce they're on E, or prefer Special K (ketamine, an animal anesthetic !), or smoke weed, and the "I'm Drunk" thread was on page 20 last time I looked...Perhaps reality ain't enough for most people ?

As to interfering, I don't think there is much point, people have got to want to kick bad habits themselves, and for that you need to recognise you have a problem, not a situation I've ever been in as a friend, but I imagine it's one of those "damned-if-you-do-damned-if-you-don't" scenarios...

Date: July 7, 2005 02:15

Ok sorry I can't spell...mus be the after effects of heiruin...hahaha

thx for pointing that out folks

and yes about interfering yea you have to want to stop or you won't but if enough people tell you you are f--ked up you start thinking about it, thas all I meant...back in the day, no one said nothing

and yes again there are lots of drugs around now that are just as bad or worse, 23 year old friend of my nephew just had a heart attack and died last weekend from X...

believe it or not, heroin is nowhere near as bad as some other drugs out there, alcohol being the one I'm thinking about...heroin does not give you brain damage or liver failure or heart attacks...yea you can od if you are not careful and yea you get very addicted to it and it changes your personality becuz that is all you care about and you don't care what you do to get it, you justify everything. Keith had the very distinct and rare advantage of not having to steal for it but I am sure he did have times waking up in the morning thinking where do I get my next fix and concentrating on that and only that until he got it...kinda puts anything else you might have been planning on doing that day on hold...which can be a drag for everyone around you

As for it getting that bad...it could have gotten alot worse. He quit rather than lose his band/go to jail. And he stayed away from it. Alot of people don't think thas possible, once a j always a j, but that is not true...I quit and stayed away too.

I know this kid he is 26 and I try and tell him he can do it and stay away forever, but he just has a death wish od'd many times and rehab too many times to count and jail and halfway houses etc etc it just depends on the person if they have the strength and the will to get away from it. Not everyone who trys it gets hooked becuz some people just can't stop throwing up, their body totally rejects it.. But for others it is heaven/hell all mixed up together...

If you haven't been there, you can't understand...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1841
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home