Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT! NO MICK AT LIVE *
Posted by: Debra ()
Date: July 3, 2005 03:19

I'd really like to strangle the promoters and the press and everyone who advertised the fact thast MICK would help close the LIVE 8 show! TALK ABOUT WRONG INFORMATION! I had my tape all set to go and basicly wasted 2 hours on this gorgeous day waiting for the finale! I will say though, it was worth seeing and taping PINK FLOYD! They were incredible and also nice seeing Paul involved, as he always is, in humanitarian causes! SO WHY THE HELL WAS MICK A NO SHOW!?

Re: WHAT A DISAPPOINTMENT! NO MICK AT LIVE *
Posted by: LISMM63 ()
Date: July 3, 2005 03:25

Give the boys some slack.

On occasion The Stones, or part of, do show up for charity events, we don't know if the boys "give of themselves" in other ways, more than likely they do, and they wish not to broadcast what they do.

I commend Mick for holding to his obligations to his God Son. What was he to do, "Sorry, I must run, have a show to do"?

"Fuc the Rock babe, I want the Roll." (KR)

Date: July 3, 2005 03:27

Besides that, who wants to see Mick singing with "arse-hole" mouth Paul M.

Re: Live8
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 3, 2005 03:52

LoFL! truly. :E

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: July 3, 2005 03:55

Just had to pick some thread instead of starting a new one.
I slept through all this stuff you guys saw and have only now started watching by accident. Saw a bunch of acts already and I gotta say: as much as I don't like Daltrey, who looks like a Grandma by now, they really tore it up. Pete still l9ooks like a rocker at least. Don't know who most of those guys in the band were but if I didn't watch they sounded hot.

Re: the Who
Date: July 3, 2005 04:07

yeah, the Who rocked! watching Pete go and get it was great. :E

- Keith

Date: July 3, 2005 04:51

LISMM, no one is questioning the STONES giving to charities!I know Mick gives alot of $$ to schools in Dartford, Kent where he went to school as a boy.But it was mentioned in alot of newspapers and by alot of typically reliable sources that Mick as least was part of the encore! I never can understand the McCartney bashing, it is so inappropriate in most cases. I mean, really, HOW can you pick on him musically? The man is rock solid! He has written an unbelieveable amount of music, most of it classic! I am wondering why they chose not to show up.Yes, thwe WHO kicked ass. I love ole Pete and Roger! I know LISMM, you love to try to annoy me but you don't. I recall some rather nasty comments from you so I just consider the souirce,.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 3, 2005 05:16

Debra Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'd really like to strangle the promoters and the
> press and everyone who advertised the fact thast
> MICK would help close the LIVE 8 show! TALK ABOUT
> WRONG INFORMATION! I had my tape all set to go and
> basicly wasted 2 hours on this gorgeous day
> waiting for the finale! I will say though, it was
> worth seeing and taping PINK FLOYD! They were
> incredible and also nice seeing Paul involved, as
> he always is, in humanitarian causes! SO WHY THE
> HELL WAS MICK A NO SHOW!?

hardly the promoters' fault he didnt perform

The fact that on the internet and radio today CONFIRMED that he would perform is good enough cause for me to believe he'd agreed to do it.

No one to blame but Mick himself if he backed out.

Date: July 3, 2005 07:22

So Gazza, I guess you felt that the information before the event was reliable too.Wonder why Mick backed out?Do you think it had anything to do with the fact that " Hey Jude" is not a very exciting tune anymore? I think Mick didn't have the proper amount of time to prepare what he considered a knock-out tune, something very well rehearsed like his little smoldering duet with Tina during Live Aid. One thing we all know about mick; he will not look foolish! My friends love to tease me and say Mick doesn't want to share a stage with Paul and that may be true to some degree...not because he's worried about Paul out-shining him. During the benefit for NYC in 2001, in Oct at MSG, Paul was the organizer and Mick and Keith left before the big sing-a-long encore that Paul wrote, Freedom was the tune. I don't think Mick feels really comfy amongst large groups of stars like that.Not sure I would either under those circumstances but I just wish I hadn't waited all day only to be let down.

Date: July 3, 2005 08:30

It was all hype, to get people like y'all's hopes up and give the media something to hash around!

Mick had a "prior committment," and attended his God Son's wedding, he isn't going to leave Early!

Fini.

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: July 3, 2005 09:20

I have to say this: when I saw Pink Floyd I sat with my mouth open. Watching Roger Watres just getting down, playing that Bass with a vengeance right next to Gilmour was uplifting. There were moments in the show. I disagree with the cynics. You HAVE to begin somewhere. You have to be realistic. You have to use the tools at your dusposal. What is Geldof to do? He needs to get the world's attention. It's not his fault that we have crowned Destiny's Child, Robbie Willimas, bloated Bono as our speakers. A crowning moment was trivialized by Madonna when the woman who was the starving baby in the Live Aid film was brought out and she was this BEAUTIFUL woman. Madonna turned it into her own photo op to choreograph "Like a Prayer". LAP that sounds so much like "SOS" by ABBA it drives me crazy! Haha I always sing the ABBA song along. So may people keep saying "So and so should just give one of thewir millions to the cause and not play music." But this was not a fundraiser it was a political demonstration and everyone who showed up and made their voice heard needs to be commended. WTF. Are we too @#$%& jaded to get behind peace? In what guise is peace to come to us so that we will fight for it? I don't understand how anyone can say this was in any way a bad thing. It wasn't a concert. These acts don't need more promo. They know that they all get way more than enough adverstising. Coldplay sucked btw. It doesn't matter if someone was corny or if someone's music wasn't good in this way or that. The point was to make the world listen, right? And everyone listned. Now if those leaders would just do the right thing. Which they won't.

Posted by: tomstones ()
Date: July 3, 2005 09:54

The Who and McCartney rocked. Adding the Stones to this would have been too good to be true. I mean only Elvis would have missed then.

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: July 3, 2005 13:32

And Motorhead!

Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: July 3, 2005 15:46

Don't forget: there still is a Live 8 concert on Wednesday night at Edinburgh’s Murrayfield Stadium. Might he show up there?

Posted by: jigsawpuzzle ()
Date: July 3, 2005 18:15

Debra,

I love your posts, but your quote:

"One thing we all know about mick; he will not look foolish!"

brings to mind he and Bowie doing "Dancing in the Street" - that was pretty foolish.

Posted by: Rank Outsider ()
Date: July 3, 2005 18:22

Yeah, I was pissed that Mick didn't show up. I even listened to the whole set of Joss Stone hoping Sir Mick would turn up. Damn, Joss is beautiful, but really boring and a major hype that'll surely be forgotten in a few years.

Posted by: davido ()
Date: July 3, 2005 18:42

I thought it was pretty clear neither mick nor the Stones
would be there, as nice as that might have been. Too bad!
They missed a great opportunity to really shine, reclaim their
crown, and expand their audiences. But at this satge of the
game they can prety much do as they please, they've already
paid their dues in my book!

Date: July 3, 2005 21:47

Debra Wrote:
> So Gazza, I guess you felt that the information
> before the event was reliable too.Wonder why Mick
> backed out?Do you think it had anything to do with
> the fact that " Hey Jude" is not a very exciting
> tune anymore? I think Mick didn't have the proper
> amount of time to prepare what he considered a
> knock-out tune, something very well rehearsed like
> his little smoldering duet with Tina during Live
> Aid. One thing we all know about mick; he will not
> look foolish! My friends love to tease me and say
> Mick doesn't want to share a stage with Paul and
> that may be true to some degree...not because he's
> worried about Paul out-shining him. During the
> benefit for NYC in 2001, in Oct at MSG, Paul was
> the organizer and Mick and Keith left before the
> big sing-a-long encore that Paul wrote, Freedom
> was the tune. I don't think Mick feels really
> comfy amongst large groups of stars like that.Not
> sure I would either under those circumstances but
> I just wish I hadn't waited all day only to be let
> down.

I reserved judgement on all the rumours I'd heard until BBC radio CONFIRMED Mick's appearance at 2 pm and then it was on the CONFIRMED line up listed on their website shortly afterwards.

I genuinely doubt they would have listed him as a confirmed artist unless he had himself agreed to take part. Everyone else who was listed as confirmed did in fact perform.

coming on to appear as a guest on someone else's song would have hardly required much preparation, lets face it. Its not like he had to arrange the band or anything.

If egoes were the problem, then considering the event and the cause it was for, that is shameful. Had he never agreed to perform, thats his own choice and professional decision and I respect that (even though, as I said in another thread, I consider it a missed opportunity) but to say youre going to perform and then to not do so is unacceptable

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: July 3, 2005 21:56

the stones are a big let down at these type of shows, either they dont do it
at all or they do it partly aka live aid and cfny, BUMMER

Date: July 3, 2005 22:07

The thing with both of those shows though Marc is that in BOTH cases Mick agreed to appear all along and Keith didnt - so neither was going to be a STONES show.

Keith only appeared at Live Aid because Dylan had asked Woody to help him out and he in turn contacted Keith who, as ever, had been notoriously cynical about the whole project. To see Mick onstage that night without the Stones and then see Keith and Woody's shambolic performance with Dylan half an hour later was galling. Three out of five Stones playing on the same bill but in two separate performances. What a waste.

Keith only showed up at the rehearsals the day before the Concert for New York and was then added to Mick's part of the show. (Mick got a 2 song set, The Who played 4 songs and McCartney did something similar. Had the Stones played it as a band, theyd have got a higher profile in the show and would have stole it. no question)

If he'd taken the bug out of his ass the Stones could easily have performed at both events. Keith blew it both times.

Date: July 4, 2005 03:06

Thanks JIGSAW but I really must admit to liking the Bowie duet; didn't you think it was more CAMP than serious? I did, which made it more fun to watch.So Gazza, was it indeed a Godchild's wedding Mick had to attend, or just him blowing off the event last minute? Anyone know for sure, because I tend to agree with you, it seemed like he had agreed to take part. Something obviously changed his mind rather last minute! Maybe it was the thought of sharing the stage with George Michael! WELL NO WONDER HE STAYED AWAY!!! Did you notice Lisa Fisher with Madonna!? I have it on tape because I was recording the highlights and I never knew it was Lisa! I'm going back right now to look at it. I also thought it weird in a bad way that Keith and Ronnie joined Dylan during LIVE AID and yet no Rolling Stones performed as a unit! Keith has strange ways, that's been known for quite some time!

Date: July 4, 2005 03:18

The Mick/Bowie duet was an obviously tongue in cheek camp send-up. It was funny. How anyone can get embarrassed by it, I dont know.

Debra - yeah, apparently Mick was indeed attending a wedding in Yorkshire (its about 250 miles north of London). But he would have been aware of that commitment some time ago. No one goes to weddings for a godchild at the last minute!

Sharing a stage with George would have been almost as scary a prospect of sharing a lavatory with him...but still...

Didnt notice Lisa with Madonna at first - thought it was someone else, but a few folks here pointed it out and when I saw the rerun a few hours later, it was her OK. Oddly enough my wife thought she looked very familiar yet I didnt. She sounded great but a few weeks eating salads might be in order (apologies for sounding sexist!)

Mick was great at Live Aid, but Christ on a bike, he was being backed by the Hall & Oates band. Imagine what that would have been like with the Stones behind him. And two of the other four of them were in the building. the band had been recording up until just before the concert so its not like they were musically out of shape

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-07-04 03:19 by Gazza.

Date: July 4, 2005 03:42

they werent speaking at the time, its a little hard to work together
when your not talking

Date: July 4, 2005 03:59

Yes Gazza, don't worry about being sexist! Lisa did get FAT! YICKS! That's why no one recognized her! SALADS INDEED! I was thinking about that the other day because I met Lisa and Bernard and all of the back-up players a few years ago at a private party in Philly for No Security; the point is, she was a bit heavy then but still sexy. NOT NOW! And I was thinking, if I had the chance, even one time to be on stage with the Stones, I'd make DAMN SURE I WAS RAIL THIN! I just lost a few pounds because I don't even want to hang out at Stones concerts carrying the extra ounces, let alone an extra 50 pounds! Vanity?? Damn straight!

Date: July 4, 2005 05:19

melillo Wrote:
> they werent speaking at the time, its a little
> hard to work together
> when your not talking

Whilst they werent on great terms, theyd been recording together for months before that. If they could stomach being in a studio for weeks on end, they could have put up with each other to get through a couple of days rehearsals in order to play a 20 minute show.

Date: July 4, 2005 05:21

Debra Wrote:
> Yes Gazza, don't worry about being sexist! Lisa
> did get FAT! YICKS! That's why no one recognized
> her! SALADS INDEED! I was thinking about that the
> other day because I met Lisa and Bernard and all
> of the back-up players a few years ago at a
> private party in Philly for No Security; the point
> is, she was a bit heavy then but still sexy. NOT
> NOW! And I was thinking, if I had the chance, even
> one time to be on stage with the Stones, I'd make
> DAMN SURE I WAS RAIL THIN! I just lost a few
> pounds because I don't even want to hang out at
> Stones concerts carrying the extra ounces, let
> alone an extra 50 pounds! Vanity?? Damn straight!

well said my little 'hayseed' ;-)

Date: July 4, 2005 06:38

Gazza Wrote:
> melillo Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > they werent speaking at the time, its a
> little
> > hard to work together
> > when your not talking
>
>
> Whilst they werent on great terms, theyd been
> recording together for months before that. If they
> could stomach being in a studio for weeks on end,
> they could have put up with each other to get
> through a couple of days rehearsals in order to
> play a 20 minute show.

good point, i guess they could have done it if they really wanted too
its just that mick was trying to be michael jackson at that time
or prince, he wanted to be mick jagger not a rolling stone
thank god it didnt work out

Date: July 4, 2005 07:09

Gazza, You are FUNNY! I love a quick-witted Brit! Just replayed Lisa with Madonna and It wasn't as bad as I thought! Maybe only 45 pounds need to come of! And as for the feud referenced by you, once again Keith's childishness and his jealousy got in the way of what SHOULD have been productive Stones years! He really wasted alot of time, and I say He because Mick was entitled to do a solo cd if he wanted to, especially given the fact that Keith had the Barbarians and Winos and a few LOUSY solo cds of his own!!

Re: :E
Date: July 4, 2005 10:28

a couple of sidelights from the Where Credit Is Due Department:
yep, Keith did that New Barbarians tour all right, but that band was Ronnie's project.
and the Winos didn't exist at the time Mick made his first "solo" albums;
Keith's only "solo" release at that point was the 78 single (Run Rudolph Run/The Harder They Come).

(and lest it be misinterpreted: my use of quote marks around "solo" isn't meant in any derogatory way - it's just my idiosyncratic way of acknowledging that there were several musicians on all the works mentioned.)

- Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-07-04 15:50 by with sssoul.

Posted by: OILY_DIPSTICK ()
Date: July 4, 2005 11:34

Hey Debra,

What's your problem with Lisa????? She could sit on my face anytime. Can't be doing with the sack of sticks catwalk types.

Oily.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1606
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home