Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Question about mastering
Posted by: Jagiero ()
Date: July 1, 2005 18:15

The Stones are busy with mastering their album. Can anyone tell me what it exactly means? What happens with the album during the mastering proces?

Re: Question about mastering
Posted by: TeleK ()
Date: July 1, 2005 18:22

Audio mastering

Audio mastering is the process of preparing and transferring recorded audio to a medium for future duplication. The specific medium that receives the mastered audio varies, depending on the intended release format of the final product. This medium is then used as the master copy, from which all further production of the audio material will be based.

Traditionally, Audio Mastering was the process of transferring audio recordings on magnetic tape to a phonograph lathe for the production of vinyl records. The mastering process was performed in real-time to disk, with any mistakes appearing on the master laquer disk. With the advent of the Compact Disc, the lathe was replaced with a digital encoder and recording device. In the 1990's, the Digital Audio Workstation became common in many mastering facilites, allowing the off-line manipulation of recorded audio via a graphical user interface (GUI).

Process

The process of Audio Mastering varies depending on the specific needs of the audio to be processed. Steps of the process typically include:

1. Sequence the recorded audio as it will appear on the final product.
2. Correct any problems with the audio, such as volume level, tonal balance, or undesireable artifacts.
3. Transfer the audio to the final master format.

Examples of possible actions taken during mastering:

1. Apply noise reduction to eliminate hum and hiss.
2. Normalize the tracks to set the highest peaks in audio volume to a preset level; the overall audio should never exceed 0 dBfs.
3. Equalize audio between two tracks to ensure there are no jumps in bass, treble, midrange, volume or pan.
4. Apply a compressor (for example, 4:1 starting at -6 dcool smiley to compress the peaks but to expand the softer parts.
5. Apply a dynamics compressor to compress only specific frequencies that generate the audio peaks.
6. In the case of mastering for broadcast, the bandwidth of the signal has to be reduced. For example for TV broadcast: apply a high-pass filter at 80 Hz with -18 dB/octave to filter out low frequencies and apply a low-pass filter at 12 kHz with -9 db/octave to filter out high frequencies.

Please note that the above are not specific instructions but some processes that may or may not be applied. Audio Mastering needs to examine the adjectives of input media, the expectations of the source producer or recipient, the limitations of the end medium and process the subject accordingly. General rules of thumb can rarely be applied.

-----------------------------------------------------
Oh, give me the beat, boys, and free my soul
I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: July 1, 2005 18:47

having sat in on a few vinyl mastering sessions i can tell you its a tedious, beyond boring process that would send anyone to sleep

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: July 1, 2005 19:25

Actuall so much of the whole recording proccess is boring, tedious and repetitive. I hate it when someone wants to come to the studio and tag along because they expect blarinbg live rock'n roll, cocaine, groupies and streamers. After having sat through the same bridge part for 74 times in a row they are in a heap on the couch, getting borted and flicking knobs they shouldn't touch, "how much longer?" questions...Argh!
I am surprised thta mastering article doesn't mention EQ more. Or should I say RE-EQing. One crucila point I found overlooked once in a low low budget situation was the main volume issue. To where the entire album was just too damnn quiet. And then to top it all off: the next to last tune was left twice as loud as thwe rest of it. This was a low budget affair but taught me a big lesson. In all the knobs it is sometimes possible to forgewt the very plain obvious things. Like "Turn that sucker up!"

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: July 1, 2005 21:07

indeed!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1701
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home