Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mojo v Q
Posted by: Baxter Thwaites ()
Date: September 6, 2009 16:17

What do you think? I used to like both. But these days I find Mojo and bit nerdy and I find that Q is well past its sell by date.

On balance I'd go for Mojo.

Re: Mojo v Q
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 6, 2009 16:20

Gave up on Q 15 years ago. It became too much of a men's magazine like The Face and the ads took over. No contest really if you're of a certain age group wanting classic rock'n'roll stories as well as the best of music likely to get your goat these days.

Posted by: mofur ()
Date: September 6, 2009 16:22

Go for "Uncut" or "Word" - the best out there at the moment - IMHO

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 6, 2009 17:26

Q was, after it came out in 1986, THE world's best rock magazine for many years.

Then their best writers jumped ship to other and newer publications like Uncut or Mojo, it was taken over by still-wet-behind-the-ears hacks whose musical knowledge was probably better suited to writing for the Daily Star, who thought that rock n roll was invented in 1994 and who for the last 10 years or more have ran a once great magazine into the ground - its now basically unreadable and every issue seems to be padded out with dopey 'Top 100' lists.

It was the beginning of the end when they started having the likes of the Spice Girls and Britney Spears on the cover.

Mojo is still pretty good, but the only music magazine I subscribe to (because I'd buy it without fail every month anyway) is Uncut.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-06 17:27 by Gazza.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 6, 2009 17:42

I used to by the likes of Q and Mojo religiously, but buy them hardly ever, now. Mojo is the better of the two, as it is generally far more informative and not so obsessed with current trends, as Q seemingly is.

Posted by: Elmo ()
Date: September 6, 2009 18:24

I gave up on both some years ago. In fact I have several hundred Mojo, Q, Vox and Record Collector all from issue #1, many in binders, taking up space. If any UK reader would like to offer a price I would like to see them go to a good home. I need to make some money from them as I have been out of work (see previous posts) and my financial situation isn't what it was.

Date: September 6, 2009 19:12

I get Uncut and Mojo every month.
I don't really see that much of a difference in quality between Uncut and Mojo; often similar stories. But I do find that the core staff of Uncut is more seasoned and true. Are they both British mags?
Sometimes if I am in a supermarket I will scan Rolling Stone, just out of habit, and I am amazed what has become of it. It's not like new ownership. Jann Wenner has just completely sold and wimped out. Those three boy- band guys on the cover; the Jones Brothers.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 6, 2009 19:32

Rolling Stone is appalling compared to the mag it was in the late 60sand 70s. It's become so corporate and full of ads that it is unreadable. They have lost touch with their rock'n'roll side in a bid to become a serious magazine. Big time sell out.

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: September 6, 2009 19:40

Like Gazza I gave up Q years ago, I used to have subscriptions to Uncut and Mojo, gave them up 2 years ago,untill just recently when I took advantage of an offer on Mojo.
Not a bad read , but not as good as it was, might not renew this subscription when it runs out.
Also stopped buying Record Collector last year, used to pick it up out of habbit, but often there was nothing in it to read.

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: September 6, 2009 19:54

Uncut!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 6, 2009 20:20

Palace Revolution 2000
I get Uncut and Mojo every month.
I don't really see that much of a difference in quality between Uncut and Mojo; often similar stories. But I do find that the core staff of Uncut is more seasoned and true. Are they both British mags?

yes, as are Q and Word

Rolling Stone is a travesty of a magazine now too, unfortunately and has been for at least a couple of decades.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: September 6, 2009 21:10

Mojo is an unmissable monthly purchase.
There are always nuggests of facinating info to be found within it's pages.
For my money, the best music magazine available.

I only buy Q, these days, if i have along wait at an airport/railway station, or if i have4 quid burning a hole in my pocket. Not as essential a read as it once was.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: September 6, 2009 21:37

What? No mention of Creem or Hit Parader?

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: September 6, 2009 22:07

Mojo, uncut or Word all worth a read. Q went down the pan when it went list crazy. sloppy joiurnalisn, IMHO, anyone can put a list together.

Posted by: tomcat2006 ()
Date: September 6, 2009 22:59

Used to love Q. Never buy it now. Too many pointless "lists" instead of real content + we can find out news much easier and more up to date on the Net these days. So if it's not going to do genuine, interesting in-depth stuff then there's no point in it anymore.

Posted by: chewie1234 ()
Date: September 7, 2009 01:28

Uncut is the best, imho.

---------------------------
C'm on!

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: September 7, 2009 11:55

Q is targeted at 20-30 year olds, Mojo 30 upwards (both from the same publisher.

I still get Q (and Record Collector) every month but occassionally get Mojo or Classic Rock.

Date: September 7, 2009 14:03

What about Record Collector?

For me maybe the worst case of all.
What once were perhaps the best collector magazine of all time and used to mantain an, altough opinionated, imparcial distance on judge of value, but ran by litterate, musically cultured people is nowadays totally wrecked, badly written and specially imprecise, non-trustable, inexact stuff.

This ruin was led by some metal banger freak called tim jones, who along with other geesin guy think that second league 70´s hard riff rock and progressive rock founded rock´n´roll.

A lot of the musical media seem to be contaminated with this new, kind of North American mid-80´s low brow semi-analphabet stadium rock teenage worshippers, now turned adult. All of them clearly never having passed the beavis and butthead
mind stage.These people are trying to transform the mainstream rock musicam media into a jello, where everything pre-80´s is 'classical rock'. So you get legends like Aretha, Dylan, Motown, Miles, Bowie the Stones or the Beastles - take your pick - sided shamefully with second class hype and/or masked groups and artists like kiss, black sabbath, etc. Take your pick again.Half of you guys who are reading this that maybe even agreeing with me in the value judgement of music quality but are eager to remember that old feeling that "if you don´t like it, don´t hear it, don´t read it, don´t buy it" have to understand that there´s a limit in it. They should have stayed in kerrang. Then it´s OK, who likes ventilators, hair-dos, 'techniques', 'influenced by´s' speed and guitars fool of sharp edges (talking about its physical format here) go there, buy it, hear it, get together and bang their head in peace. Also, please someone give an idea to some kind soul to launch a progressive music mag in the market,as these are also just one niche of the good rock music,and it´s been very over-valuated also these days.So, maybe then they can have their Kerrang. Now, to end this paragraph, let´s whistle some Genesis song bar from 'I know' or ' Follow you'.

It´s specially sad to see what has been made of a magazine who was once a serious, almost scientific, enclyclopaedic instance, with those real painstaking researched surveys and researches, those splendid and exact discographies. I.e., the real collector stuff.
God, don´t you all timers just used to LOVE this magazine? To open the latest issue and discover a real lost recording or fact.,etc. They, along with Goldmine, were responsible to open doors on the great part of what me, and the World know, about pop-rock-oriented-Anglo-American music, on polivynil chloride. Now they are content to just dream-theather the paper.

You still buy it sometimes, baited by the old real-great-name-on-the-cover trick ( you almost hear them whispering ijn the back room: 'Shame we can´t publish the Joe Satriani or the saxon cover') but you get the extremely unpleasant issue of finding the odd kiss or NWOBHM reviews, ALL with 4 or 5 stars. Talk about the when they review some old Spinal Tap like third class musicians (you know, ex-this and ex-that) gathering endlessly into half-baked groups with all those pompous teenager-try-to-be-a-bit-cultured names.

The wrecking of 'Record Collector' was just like putting ketchup on a chocolate cake. Do you like ketchup? But it really doesn´t fits in a chocolate cake , however democrat we feel at that moment. So please go wreck your Kerrang chocolate pie , tim jones and cia.

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-08 02:26 by Gibson Fender-Nanker.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 7, 2009 17:04

MOJO hands down. I am a nerd though and love the in-depth articles full of minutia. LOVE IT! Q seems very shallow in comparison. The articles seem more mainstream, and not as creative. Uncut is great too!

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: September 7, 2009 21:09

Mojo and Uncut. There's also an Ok German mag, but the name escapes me right now. Another travesty is NME by the way. It's like it only talks about those new crap bands like Kings Of Leon and The Strokes. Been a while since I read it last time, but I bet they're hyping that band Gossip with the Standing In The Way Of Control song and the fat lady front singer. "Look mom. We dare having a bus of a woman as our lead singer. Ain't we pushing the limits"? Gimme a break. And the lead single is crap too. Too many people think they can be hard rockers, and most music mags just proves my point that there's really only a very select few who actually have the talent to make a decent rock song. I'm so happy I'm a Stones fan. Those guys know how to make a killer rock song, and then I don't have to listen to crap, and I certainly don't have to convince myself that the new blood in rock is good. 'Cause it sure as shit ain't.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: September 7, 2009 21:13

Uncut gets my vote.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: September 8, 2009 00:30

Q wasa great magazine. The writing was top drawer and the articles engaging. Not so now so I read Mojo.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1021
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home