Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Chuck Berry in Hamburg yesterday - fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: June 28, 2005 00:19

What a great show by possibly the most influential solo artist in popular music (as a writer and performer). The place went nuts when Chuck entered the stage with Roll Over Beethoven, wearing a glittery shirt and a captain´s hat! That man is 79! "We´re gonna play some Chuck berry songs tonight!" What a great entertainer. He still can play his intros and great R&R solos, all sounded different and improvised, not what we expected. A really great evening.

70 minutes of pure fun. He did´n´t even play all his hits, but Reelin And Rockin, Around And Around, Oh carol, Sweet Little 16 (the crowd sang most of the song), Key To The Highway, WeeWee Hours and more. His daughter Ingrid played harmonica like a devil on some songs. During 2 songs Chuck screemed: "I want girls on stage!" and then some girls were dancing on stage while Chuck played his licks! Just great! Best song was Let It Rock: endless version, a mean distorted guitar, great sound! Keith, wake up! Crank it up like he does!

Just his guitar, drums, piano and bass. He was slim and looked healthy, and even did the duckwalk for once!

If anylone moans about 62 year old guys going on tour I will say: I saw Chuck Berry, aged 79, and he rocked like hell!

PS: Near the side entrance he wrote dozens of autographs (including mine;-) while sitting on the driver´s seat of a Mercedes (still wearing his stage outfit) and then HE drove into the night! Unbelievable.

Re: OT: Chuck Berry in Hamburg yesterday - fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: June 28, 2005 01:02

Well it sounds like the enormous chip he's had on his shoulder for most of his life might be wearing off a bit. I wish he'd have put on a half way decent show when I saw him, not to mention exhibiting a half way decent attitude. On the basis of the way he conducted himself when I saw him in London some years ago, I personally felt like telling him to go and f*** himself and I wished I hadn't given the grumpy and inconsiderate bastard the time of day nor $1 of my cash. It's a shame, because he was playing in London in May - just a couple of months ago. But my experience of him last time round left me with a bad taste in my mouth, so sorry Chuck - moral of the story is, try and be good to your fans if you value their custom !

Date: June 28, 2005 01:04

I expected nothing (because of all the bad reviews of the last years) ...but he blew us away! Really!

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: June 28, 2005 01:15

I saw him last year and he was poor .....until he decided not to be !

The last 2 numbers - Johnny b Goode and Reelin'and a Rockin' were rock n roll heaven. Even got the duck walk on JBG .

Only bringing Elvis back from the dead could be more rock n roll than that moment !

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: June 28, 2005 01:45

I really liked him in 2000, sad that he doesn't play holland anymore

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 28, 2005 06:01

Now here is someone who is a parody of himself.

And after the show he drove straight to the Reeperbahn.

- Koen.

Posted by: LISMM63 ()
Date: June 28, 2005 08:14

Everytime I see Chuck, (in St. Louis) he is great! His kids, Ingrid and Chuck II, (that's how he signs autographs) are super and mingle with the audience, during their breaks. I spoke with all three Berry's one night, Chuck kidded with me, and everytime I see him play he invites girls on stage too.

My Dad, (a car salesman) sold Chuck Berry a car once.

Hey, everyone has a bad night now and again, even our boys THE STONES, ya know?

"Fuc the Rock babe, I want the Roll." (KR)

Date: June 28, 2005 10:52

Koen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Now here is someone who is a parody of himself.
>
> And after the show he drove straight to the
> Reeperbahn.

So did you see the show?

Posted by: latvianinexile ()
Date: June 28, 2005 12:11

German paper Die Welt reports that the night before in Munich the piano player had to leave the stage because he didn't know the song.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: June 28, 2005 13:35

I saw him a few years ago in St. Louis. His guitar was out of tune for most of the show, and he couldn't tune it. So finally he gave the guitar to his tech to tune it, and he started reading some poetry. After that, the band sounded ok. His son in law (I guess Ingrids husband) had just died, so she was very sad. And he wore a captains hat, and did the duckwalk, and played most of his hits.

- Koen.

Posted by: t-perkins ()
Date: June 28, 2005 15:50

the concert in munich was fantastic as well. he didn't invite any girls, but did the duckwalk twice. the two blues numbers were also very good: key to the highway and it hurts me too. the highlight of the evening was johnny b goode.

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: June 28, 2005 16:42

I have seen Chuck several times in Bradford in the UK.He is a great performer!But Keef was right he does have a chip on his shoulder and is somewhat moody.Chuck spotted somebody in the crowd with a camera and stopped playing right in the middle of a song.He refused to continue with the performance until the camera was passed to the stage.

The last time he got lost en route to the venue.Strolled into a local pub and asked for directions!That made local news.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: June 28, 2005 17:57

Last saw Chuck when he opened for the Grateful Dead at Portland Meadows in May, 1995...it was fun....it always is with him. You go to pay homage to "the man." Anything of value music-wise is just a bonus...

Posted by: john r ()
Date: June 28, 2005 18:25

I'm glad you saw a great show, but to say "Keith crank it up like (Ccool smiley does..." is a bit much - I mean, people criticize the RS for playing too many warhorses? It all likely has to do w/ expectations, as T&A suggests. I've seen him twice, w/ the crude & tuneless versions of "Reelin & Rockin" & "Ding A Ling" & decided to stick to his classic recordings. Which stopped around 1964 ('Rockit' & the Hail! Hail! ost notwithstanding)

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: June 29, 2005 12:25

Then this is the guy for MSG.

Date: June 29, 2005 13:06

shattered Wrote:
> Then this is the guy for MSG.
>
> "the pool's in but the patio ain't dry."

Unfortunately they didn´t want him for the pay-per-view in St. Louis 1997, Chuck´s place of birth.

Posted by: salar ()
Date: June 29, 2005 16:19

TooTough Wrote:
>
> Unfortunately they didn´t want him for the
> pay-per-view in St. Louis 1997, Chuck´s place of
> birth.
>
Hi my good old Masserfakker,
are you realy sure that it was the Stones who did not want
CB on the St.Louis gig ???
or was it due to to CB excentrical behaviour, which made it almost impossible
playing with him, as he was not able being a teamplayer....
I know it would have been for one or two songs only....
but I remember that I have read something like that years ago..
If you know more about it...please let us know, man.

See you on the tour
salar

Date: June 29, 2005 17:01

salar,

my old Stonesbitch,

I don´t think there would have been a problem to arrange
a guest appearance of Chuck berry, the man who influenced
Keith the most. Watch the Chuck berry movie, where they rehearse Oh Carol, they LOVE each other;-)

regards,

yours U.S. TT

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-06-29 17:02 by TooTough.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1578
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home