Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Charlie drum solo video
Posted by: erbissell ()
Date: September 4, 2009 23:26

Hadn't seen this before. Charlie goes second:

Re: Charlie drum solo video
Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: September 4, 2009 23:50

Funny. From when is this ?

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 4, 2009 23:57

>> From when is this ? <<

9th October 1979: US TV ‘The Cleo Laine Show’.
- I’m a Drum
Line-up: CW (dr)/Cleo Laine (voc)/Jack Parnell (dr)/Kenny Clare (dr)/& a full orchestra

[www.nzentgraf.de] is a great site to look up stuff like that

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-04 23:58 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: September 5, 2009 00:14

Thanks

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: September 5, 2009 00:14

Very cool! Maybe it's just me, but Charlie looks seems to look so much happier and focused when he's playing this kind of music instead of rock and roll.

Date: September 5, 2009 10:59

it was just crazy to me, because id never heard charlie play a solo beyond little fills between songs. And its awesome because from watching that I know he could kick any kids ass with that little gretsch kit.

Posted by: the juf ()
Date: September 5, 2009 11:24

saw Cleo Laine at the Concertgebouw last July, 82 years old and still going strong! I hope one day BBC Four will broadcast her shows from the archive, incl the one feat Charlie.

[www.paulinestroosnijder.com]

Posted by: BBrew ()
Date: September 5, 2009 13:05

Yes, this was already posted here, great video...

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 5, 2009 14:52

Great watch, pitty for him that this type of drumming does't fit in the Stones

Date: September 5, 2009 15:13

It made me think of the sentence used recently in Mojo or Uncut when the Remasters of 70's were reviewed. The guy said like "The Stones simply do not play their instruments like anyone else". I LOVE that. because they don't - but they can always hang with anyone out there. Charlie was definetly not the fastest, not flashy, and was obviously playing second or third string; in other words, deferring to the others. But he is so powerful in his own way. he is actually a very hard hitter; throws his whole body into it.

Date: September 5, 2009 23:46

Yeah charlie doesn't necessarily play the fastest, loudest, or flashiest. but hes got more "boom boom" than everyone else combined.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: September 6, 2009 00:30

Charlie and Ringo and Phil Rudd - great great drummers who keep the timing like nobody else: clean, tight, right down the middle with very little fru fru or whacked out fills. All three are very similar. Yeah, I know, different bands, different music - but Rudd has always been called the Watts of hard rock. And Ringo was awesome. Just listening to I Am The Walrus from the Anthology blew my mind at how simple AND heavy he was.

I think Charlie's best drumming for the Stones was in 1969, that snare and double kick rhythm machine that he was so sharp with that is all over Let It Bleed and is featured fantastically on Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out! that is just supremely killer.

He's done some very interesting things since then of course but that was probably the pinnacle of his drumming. At least with that style. His current style, the pinnacle was Emotional Rescue, 1981/82 tours and Undercover. Since then he's simplified it - probably because they have so many songs...

Date: September 6, 2009 05:46

Totally agree with Charlie and '69. I LOVE Charlie's snare in 69. just LOVE!!
And Ringo is a drummer who I am appreciating more and more. There is all the later Beatles stuff like "She Said She Said", "Rain" etc. But I am still jaw dropping at "She Loves You".

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1380
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home