Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Jigsaw Puzzle
Posted by: Dannyboy ()
Date: June 8, 2005 03:28

They should play Jigsaw Puzzle as the signature 'new piece' this tour like CYHMK last time..... views??

Re: Jigsaw Puzzle
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 8, 2005 03:32

Cool idea as long as Ronnie can hold down Brian's power-house slide.

ROCKMAN

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: June 8, 2005 04:07

I think that's all Keith on that one (guitars, that is).
I think it's great that Keith stopped playing slide after Let it Bleed
before he got to good at it. The "slightly unsure" slide playing
on BB and LIB is great. What I mean is, it's like a new instrument
he's discovering, and sometimes when you don't know what you're doing,
some grat results happen.

Posted by: neptune ()
Date: June 8, 2005 05:24

It sounds like Brian on slide to me. The smooth, low-end notes followed by some high screechers is a trademark formula of Brian's slide playing . . .

Posted by: RankOutsider ()
Date: June 8, 2005 08:42

I don't know who it is but I like it. Great song. I think Ronnie is quite capable of handling the slide part. Wonder if it would work live though? Have they ever done it live?

I ain't stupid, I'm just guitarded.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: June 8, 2005 18:32

Definately Brian on the slide.

JR

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: June 8, 2005 18:35

never done live - absolutely Brian on the BB version. not clear whether this could/would work live with the current band. wouldn't mind hearing them try it, of course....

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: June 8, 2005 18:42

I think it would be great live....2 key compenents might be hard to duplicate:
1) The way Mick sang it. The way he sort of builds up his tension and ferocity as the song goes along

2) Nicky's piano. No offense to the Chuck fans here but he just couldn't pull it off. To me, Nicky's piano is the best part of the song.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: June 8, 2005 19:47

Chuck is a Nicky protege, so I see no reason he couldn't pull it off

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: June 8, 2005 20:38

I must say that generally speaking I do not like acoustic guitars in an open air live context.

Amplification of an acoustic guitar is one of the most difficoult things to do. It is hard to catch the "warmth" and "depth" of the body in the fisrt place (whether you are using a mic, piezo, or pu), it is even harder to reproduce the amplified acoustic guitar sound through the PA.

First time the stones used an acoustic guitar live, if I am not wrong, should be during the 69 tour. And they opted for a clever solution: Prodigal son with keith on steel guitar & slide + Mick on vocals.

Further acoustic sets are quite rare, despite the massive use of these guitars in studio. Sweet Virginia during the Exile tour. Amost nothing thereafter until the Tattoo You tour. Huge acoustic hits were all usually rearranged for electric guitar (angie, wild horses, love in vain, rooster, t&f).

The sound of acoustics on the Tattoo You tour are plain sh.. to my ears. Listen to Let it Bleed: typical tinny sound of amplified acoustics, no depth, only sharp highs, awful blend with the other instruments. Almost a dave matthews sound.

Things don't get any better with the ultra processed plastic acoustic sound of the SW/UJ tour.

The 95 acoustic set is maybe the first time when the stones try to recreate a proper "acoustic" sound. It must have cost a lot of money, but the sound was just as good as Pear Jam using acoustic simulators with electric guitars.

Anyway, the 95 approach will remain the standard, at least until licks.

Must say that the sound has improved a lot. Wild horses, when the PA worked, was not that bad during Licks.

Still, all in all, I can't say that I have ever heard a decent open air live acosutic sound.

C

Date: June 8, 2005 21:26

I like the dave matthews reference, (lol) They could have been Queen you knowsmiling smiley

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: June 8, 2005 22:11

Mick's voice has changed since those days.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: June 9, 2005 09:13

The best way to amplify an acoustic guitar is to put a mike in front of it,
a Nuemann U87 if possible. However, the FRAP pickups they used during the '72/'73 toursound pretty good to me, at least on some of the boots I have.
The Ovations that Mick used during the '81 and '82 tours were horrible,
and I'm not too crazy about any acoustic stuff they've amplified since then.
Check out Dylan's Before the Flood. I love the sound of his acoustic
on side 3.

Date: June 9, 2005 10:17

Weakest song on BB.

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: June 9, 2005 10:41

No its great! Love it. And its Brian on slide and no they can't play anything from that period.

Date: June 9, 2005 10:49

Prodigal Son. Would have been great to have in the setlist!

Date: June 9, 2005 12:21

"And its Brian on slide and no they can't play anything from that period"

Well, they do! SFTD, street fighting man, no expectations, occasionally salt of the earth, stray cat blues. Even parachute woman got one try. Prodigal son was in the 89 set list.

C

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: June 9, 2005 12:36

Play Parachute woman

Date: June 9, 2005 12:39

<Prodigal son was in the 89 set list.>

The 69-set list. Performed in 1979 as well.

Date: June 9, 2005 12:50

You are right! Factory girl (also from Bcool smiley was in the 89 set list!

C

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 9, 2005 14:23

Well, I am really sorry to say this, but it is 100%, true and true Keith Richards on slide on Jigsaw Puzzle. In fact, Glyn Johns has commented the equipment: the Triumph solid state amp and the new (prototype) Dan Armstrong See-through tuned to open E. Johns specifically remembered this as Keith kept on experimenting with this sound, as he loved the eerie, dark and strange sound of it, and the Armstrong guitar was state-of-the-art at that time, nobady had seen anything like it before.

Further, the style of playing -sound and phrasing- can also be heard on Love in Vain, Let it Bleed, You Got the Silver and Monkey Man, which are all Keith. It's absolutely not Brian, Brian had a total different way of playing slide guitar. Last, all the Stones commemted that Brian's only contribution to was autoharp on You Got the Silver, although he is credited for inaudible percussion on Midnight Rambler too.

Mathijs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-06-09 14:45 by Mathijs.

Date: June 9, 2005 15:39

Sounds like Keith.

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: June 9, 2005 15:45

Factory girl sounded awful in '89. They should really try and find a new way of playing their old songs. But hey its Vegas.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: June 9, 2005 16:03

Mathijs...Never gave it much thought before always took it to be Brian on slide but compared to Keith on Let It Bleed you just might be right.

Where does one find Glyn Johns commenting about the gear used on Beggars?

So as to the original idea of performing Jigsaw live ... Keith probably cant use a slide anymore because of his arthritis.

ROCKMAN

Date: June 9, 2005 16:09

<Keith probably cant use a slide anymore because of his arthritis.>

He'll have to use a jam glass or something to make it fit his finger smiling smiley No, I don't think it's gonna be a problem with the slide playing. When Keith has to concentrate and focus - he does (You Got The Silver from 1999 proves that). The slide on JJP is very easy to play.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: June 9, 2005 17:06

Rockman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Where does one find Glyn Johns commenting about
> the gear used on Beggars?
> ROCKMAN

I had an encredible article on all the studio techniques and equipment of the BB and LIB sessions, but I lost it and can't find it anywehere oni the net anymore. There was also a section with Ian Stewart talking about the London rehearsel room of the Stones, and what kind of equipment was in it. The best part opf course was the part about the LIB sessions, as to date I haven't found any photographic material taken at LIB sessions. BB and 1970 onwards are pretty well documented, but 1969 is a grey area.

Mathijs

Posted by: jigsawpuzzle ()
Date: June 9, 2005 19:30

Yea, play Jigsaw Puzzle, along with Silver Train (can't board a train without thinking of that one)

Date: June 10, 2005 05:18

'Silver Train' would be awsome!

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: June 10, 2005 10:23

That slide is most surely Keith. Way too sketchy for Brian. Plus I don't think BJ could have put that together that late is the game.
I don't thnk they'd play a tune like that live. Too many words for Jagger. And it's too long and repeptitive to play live. Not enough dynamics going on.

Date: June 10, 2005 12:26

DandelionPowderman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Weakest song on BB.

Are you on drugs, Dandy? There ARE no weak songs on BB! :`^

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1475
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home