Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Comerica Park Tix??
Posted by: crossfire ()
Date: June 1, 2005 23:48

Does anybody have any insight as to why there are still decent (field level inside 25 rows) seats available for this show? I was able to get 11th row, but of course I paid through the eyes. Just curious if anyone has any venue knowledge. Thanks.

Re: Comerica Park Tix??
Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: June 2, 2005 00:12

The Detroit show is selling very poorly.

Posted by: Rickster ()
Date: June 2, 2005 01:21

Im from Detroit and a big Stones fan but for some reason Detroit is not a huge market for them but oh well I got my tickets and there on the field so thats all I care about.

Posted by: stonestom ()
Date: June 2, 2005 02:52

Detroit has always had an erradic ticket sales. Sometimes bands can sell and sometimes not. On stonesdoug message board they suggested that the show will be canceled.
Do you guys believe the show will be canceled because of poor ticket sales? I say there is no way in hell the boys will cancel.

~~TOM

Posted by: Marcia ()
Date: June 2, 2005 03:17

I just talked today to someone who got several tickets on the field within the first 25 rows at Comerica. I do not know how much she paid (but money is no object to her). We went to Detroit for Licks and it was sold out, I think. I have not tried to get tickets for Detroit this time. If I knew I could still get good seats and it would not be cancelled, I might try...what does everyone who knows think about a cancellation in Detroit?
We are hoping to go to PNC Pittsburgh.

Posted by: stonestom ()
Date: June 2, 2005 04:13

I just dont think they would cancel a show like that so early in the tour.

Date: June 2, 2005 07:15

I don't think they would cancel either.
Sales have been slow, but could pick up between now and August. I'm sure it will still be a great show!

Posted by: sir_carlos ()
Date: June 2, 2005 11:24

It's way to early to cancel, precides, the new album will sell tix too...!

Date: June 2, 2005 14:21

sir_carlos Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> the new album will sell tix too...!

Not in Detroit if the album will be released in September.

Posted by: R ()
Date: June 2, 2005 14:40

I'm from Michigan. People in Detroit are notorious for arriving everywhere late including the box office. Also, there is a lot of economic uncertainty here because of poor profits from the auto-industry where half the population works in some capacity or other. GM World HQ is about five blocks from Comerica Park. Finally, the show is a Wednesday night just before the American Labor Day weekend so a lot expendable income and time is already committed to vacations etc.

The show will likely do about 35,000 or a bit better, much like Springsteen did a couple years ago.

It's true Detroit runs hot and cold for the Stones. I recall "Licks" did very well at Ford Field, the new football stadium next door to Comerica, yet a planned second night for "No Security" was never put on sale because the first night saw many seats go begging in an 18,000 seat arena!

The Stones will never cancel a show because of poor attendance. Too much pride. They WILL forgo the city next time around however. Just ask the folks in Dallas who will be seeing them for the first time since 1997 when something like 30,000 showed up for an all day festival style show where over 70,000 were expected.

Date: June 2, 2005 14:55

Exactly.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: June 2, 2005 15:00

R Wrote:
> > The Stones will never cancel a show because of
> poor attendance. Too much pride. They WILL forgo
> the city next time around however.

Theyve actually cancelled quite a few in the last few years due to poor ticket sales (regardless of what excuse they used)

Dublin & Turin #2 in 1990, Paris #2 in 1998, various other French shows in 1998 spring to mind. Plus the planned arena show in Washington in 2002 was scrapped due to slow ticket sales for the stadium show in that area and they added an arena show in Hartford instead.

Posted by: R ()
Date: June 2, 2005 15:41

"Theyve actually cancelled quite a few in the last few years due to poor ticket sales (regardless of what excuse they used)

Dublin & Turin #2 in 1990, Paris #2 in 1998, various other French shows in 1998 spring to mind. Plus the planned arena show in Washington in 2002 was scrapped due to slow ticket sales for the stadium show in that area and they added an arena show in Hartford instead."

Okay. I've never known them to cancel a show in the USA because of slow sales. The MCI Licks show was never even discussed except in "rumor" circles, likewise the second night at the Palace in 1999. If a show is never officially announced it can't really be cancelled, can it?

Posted by: phd ()
Date: June 2, 2005 16:04

Paris # 2 in 1998 cancelled I agree upon this. They sold half the Stade de France for this show : 40,000. Anyway # 1 + half # 2 means : 120,000 attendence which is not too bad. But I do not remember the other sold out concert.

Date: June 2, 2005 16:05

Lyon 98.

Date: June 2, 2005 16:24

phd Wrote:
> Paris # 2 in 1998 cancelled I agree upon this.
> They sold half the Stade de France for this show :
> 40,000. Anyway # 1 + half # 2 means : 120,000
> attendence which is not too bad. But I do not
> remember the other sold out concert.

the SDF show that summer (which I was at) was definitely overcrowded but far from 120,000 people! Im sure a few (like me) had bought tickets for both shows but I guess not nearly enough.

Date: June 2, 2005 16:44

See the bottom of this page [iorr.org]

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: June 2, 2005 16:52

Two reasons for the poor sales.
#1. The economy stinks in Detroit. It is probably the worst in all of the States right now.
#2. Comerica Park stinks as a concert venue. It is a great open baseball stadium, but the Tigers will not let anyone on the infield area for a concert. Take a look at the seating charts. They set the stage up in deep center field. If you have tickets in the first row behind the dugout, you are a mile from the stage. The upper deck is even worse. Something must be done about the stage set up, or the venue will never attract concerts again. The majority of the seating is just WAY TOO far from the stage.

By the way, I wouldn't miss it. I'll be there on the field, Section B, Row 34 for $160 plus fanclub, plus surcharge, plus whatever. I'm hoping to have a cold beer with Bjornulf. They better not cancel it. I will scream and clap and cheeer for 10 people, if that makes a difference.

Date: June 2, 2005 17:43

erikjjf Wrote:
> See the bottom of this page

yes... Marseille. Lyon and the 2nd Paris show were cancelled due to slow sales. The World Cup in France that summer affected ticket sales.

Bilbao, as I recall, was cancelled due to Mick having a sore throat.

June 1998 was a very frustrating month for me! At the start of it, I was looking forward to four UK shows and two in Paris that summer and in the space of a week I was left with only one show!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-06-02 17:46 by Gazza.

Posted by: Jackass ()
Date: June 2, 2005 17:54

That is a ridiculous seating arrangement.

Posted by: tattoojack ()
Date: June 2, 2005 21:16

i think slower markets might be waiting for some shows to start playing (Boston, Canada, etc.) too see what surprises my be in store for the ticket holders. Once we start seeing the early set list (even with the so called war horses) the news will spread faster than paul revere's message in Ye Olde NEW England. tickets will go faster than tea into the harbor!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1810
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home