Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: When you see the stones-LIVE for the first time?
Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: September 1, 2009 22:57

1972 ~ The Boston Garden

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-01 22:57 by boston2006.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: September 1, 2009 23:06

Frankfurt, May 26th 1990.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 1, 2009 23:29

Helsinki '95. (But in a better world it should have been Gothenburg '82 or '90).

- Doxa

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: September 2, 2009 00:05

1972 MSG

-----------
ooops my bad. it was RFK Stadium in D.C. on july 4th 1972...
later that same month...saw them at MSG!!!!!
Much better in an inside venue!!!! MUCH MUCH MUCH...

stevie blew minds on both occasions...mick and stevie duetted at the new york show i saw...totally wonderful....

their last five releases at the time were Banquet, Bleed, Ya ya's, Sticky Fingers and their 'Current album at the time' for promotion:

Exiles on Main Street...
it was uh.....pretty dang amazing in every way...a hallmark historic performance...at the hottest and highest...even nicky with stu...oh my...can't quite beat that....
oh, no special stage...standard stage lighting...no background pix or projections....
the best man. for realz

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: September 2, 2009 00:31

My first time was Vanderbilt Stadium, Nashville, TN - October 26, 1997 (I still have the ticket stub and am looking at it as I type this). I was 18 years old, had just graduated high school that summer. Man, WHAT a night - "Satisfaction", "Gimme Shelter", "Far Away Eyes" (w/Mick on piano), "Wanna Hold You", "Sister Morphine", "Bitch" ... a terrific set list. I remember it was cold out that night (cold for Nashville anyway), and Ronnie had a heavy coat on for much of the show. Sheryl Crow was the opening act and she was fine. The show started early (something like six o'clock) and Mick joked they had just gotten out of bed prior. The band was on all night, a solid performance and I was practically numb/in shock with enjoyment at getting to see my favorite band in the flesh (even if the seats were just okay, the sound system was to this day the best I have ever heard at a concert). I'll never forget when those first bass notes of "Out of Control" started, the air filled with the smell of fellow concert-goers lighting up reefer. And as he sang the first lines, I heard this girl behind me (one of the smokers) say to her friend "Shh... listen, this song tells a story". I also remember this one was noteworthy (sadly I might add) because there was no big explosion at the beginning of 'Satisfaction' due to fire code regulations in Nashville. Oh well.

I've seen the band 4 times since, and while they may have played a little more tightly on some occasions (especially Columbus '99), this will always be one of my favorite shows and most cherished memories smileys with beer

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: September 2, 2009 00:32

Beelyboy
1972 MSG

Oh and by the way, you lucky sonofabitch.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 2, 2009 00:37

JFK Stadium, June 17, 1978

Posted by: 72stones ()
Date: September 2, 2009 00:54

Mine was July 26, 1978 (Mick's birthday & the final show of the '78 Tour). Oakland Coliseum (Outdoors)-Bill Graham's Day On The Green-The Rolling Stones, Santana, Eddie Money & Peter Tosh.
The thing I'll never forget about this first show of mine was that the Stones were about 2 and 1/2 hours late for their alloted time slot to come on as the final act. It was later reported that when Santana was busy performing onstage as the final act before the Stones, the Stones hadn't even left the Anaheim/L.A. area yet.
To keep the crowd appeased before getting too unruly, Graham had a couple of tightrope walkers walk a wire that was high up near the stage. There were people down on the field throwing things at them to see if they could knock them off. Plus, in a section over from me, someone threw down small sized explosive firework thing (an M-80 perhaps or a pipe bomb?) from the level above us and it exploded not far above a guy who was in a wheelchair. The explosion was tremendous.
When the Stones finally arrived and started their set, a helicopter was dropping thousands of colored ping-pong balls and about a dozen mannequins into the crowd. I still have the one ping-pong ball I managed to grab.
I have to say though, I'd trade this show in for those of you who got to see the band during the Taylor Era.

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: September 2, 2009 01:03

1998 Ullevi Stadium Gothenburg!

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: September 2, 2009 01:08

1969, International Amphitheater, Chicago, Right Mezzanine, evening concert.
Killer show, Terry Reid, Chuck Berry, The Rolling Stones. I seem to remember it being a Sunday night. I was 16 and drove the family Ford station wagon to the show with 3 friends. Still my favorite concert of all time.

Posted by: 3DTeafoe ()
Date: September 2, 2009 01:26

1969, International Amphitheater, Chicago, Left upper deck first row, afternoon concert.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: September 2, 2009 01:28

1970 Essen, Germany

Posted by: Elmo ()
Date: September 2, 2009 01:48

Wolverhampton, UK, 1964.
Saw some others too including 'Get Yer Leeds Lungs Out' gig, 1972?
Last gig Leeds 1982.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 2, 2009 01:50

Whow!!! Elmo .... please Any '64 memories for us

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: September 2, 2009 02:50

New Orleans, 1978

Posted by: nellcote'71 ()
Date: September 2, 2009 06:17

MSG 1975

Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: September 2, 2009 06:31

boston2006
1972 ~ The Boston Garden

Jealous.

Elvis rocked that joint in November '71.

Due to the tyranny of time, I first saw the Stones on on 25 February, 2003 at Rod Laver Arena, Melbourne. $150 for an ok seat, but a priceless memory.

Posted by: sdstonesguy ()
Date: September 2, 2009 06:37

Oakland 1989 (Earthquake Benefit). I was 13yo. It was my first concert (other than seeing friends bands like Joe Ely band). Freakin' blew my mind how amazing it was.

Posted by: Neil F ()
Date: September 2, 2009 06:43

Buffalo 1981...George Thorogood rocked the rain away...everyone endured a Journey set...the boys rocked as the road crew cut slices in the backdrop due to the wind.

Posted by: Glimmer Twin ()
Date: September 2, 2009 06:55

May 18 1990 - De Kuip (Feyenoord Stadium) Rotterdam

Opening show of the Urban Jungle tour.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: September 2, 2009 07:25

July 26 1978 Micks Birthday

Posted by: magenta ()
Date: September 2, 2009 07:45

Dec 5th

L.A. Sports Arena

A great show that changed my world forever. Have the ticket stub and a picture a of Brian from that show.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: September 2, 2009 08:00

Magenta, what year? '64 or '65?

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: September 2, 2009 08:26

New York,August 15th 1994....15 years ago... I remember I looked very surprised when I heard that other people, who I travelled with but didn't know really well, went to more than one concert... Yes, I sat in a pub while the stones were playing not far from where I was having a beer....in New York

But, since my first concert, I haven't made that mistake again.

Posted by: JMoisica ()
Date: September 2, 2009 08:36

Giants Stadium September 2006. Hey, better late than never...I'm still in my early twenties.

My dad's first time live though was Brussles 1973 followed by Antwerp a few days later (or maybe reverse order?). Hell of a first Stones concert to go to!

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: September 2, 2009 08:58

Stockholm 1995

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: September 2, 2009 10:26

11 July 1975, LA Forum.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: September 2, 2009 12:09

January 1973. HIC Arena, Honolulu, Hawaii. Unbelievable.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: September 2, 2009 12:53

June 1976 ,France .33 years ago .The boot Backstage Unlimited send me back directly to this moment .It was such a hot night ,as Mick said it in French during the concert .It was my 1 st rock'n roll show ever and the music was so violent,resounded in my whole body ,it literally stired me.I remember Bill Wyman ,playing his bass almost vertically .Keith looked as a ghost,a magnificent tramp,playing mostly with his eyes closed .Jagger was so amazing,astonishing,beautiful.While singing Brown Sugar -I was almost front row with my mother- he leant as he used to do it and half a second his eyes met mine ,I went ...whow!!!he'd got such bright eyes,but I felt really frustrated ,thinking :"this guy will never know neither my name nor who I am ".
To be more specific,I was a teenager at that time .And 33 years later,my love for the band is still intact .

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-02 12:54 by SwayStones.

Posted by: CaptainGlassback ()
Date: September 2, 2009 12:54

Sept 29th 1965 (first show) Shrewsbury Granada

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2460
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home