Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Needle and the Damage Done by Pearl Jam
Posted by: NorthShoreBlues2 ()
Date: August 30, 2009 06:44

Last week, Pearl Jam played two sold out United Center shows in Chicago . . . I was there and they played 44 different songs at the two shows, repeating 6 songs. At the start of the 3rd set, Vedder dedicated a song to Michael Jackson . . . "Uncle Neil's" Needle and the Damage Done. It came as a surprise, Eddie plays it a bit sloppy, but it was so nice to hear . . . The other video is the band playing straight out rock'n'roll.

They are taking a few weeks off then another round of shows to support the new album, out mid-September.

If you can, try to catch a show, Pearl Jam is playing 4 nights at the Philadephia Spectrum. The 10/31/09 show is the last ever show/performace at the Sprectrum before it is torn down . . .

Re: OT: Needle and the Damage Done by Pearl Jam
Date: August 30, 2009 18:08

just watched the Real Me video again, man oh man Matt Cameron, the drummer, wails! Keith Moon must of had so much fun playing this song . . .

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: August 30, 2009 19:00

Thanks for the cover version of Neil's song.

I've always been very touched by the lyrics --a very close ,realistic and true view of an addiction,whatever/whichever it is--

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: jagger50 ()
Date: August 30, 2009 19:32

7 O/T´s on one page since BV´s sticky headline post.angry smiley

Date: August 30, 2009 19:47

jagger50

I am sure you're gonna find an easy way out.winking smiley

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-30 19:54 by SwayStones.

Date: August 30, 2009 19:49

SwayStones
jagger50

I am sure you're gona find an easy way out.winking smiley

Si, si.smoking smiley

Date: August 30, 2009 19:58

jagger50
SwayStones
jagger50

Si, si.smoking smiley
Jagger50,I had to edit my post because of an "n" missing on "gonna".
Next time I'll write "going to" ..it's well done for me .

Posted by: boogie69 ()
Date: August 30, 2009 20:01

Ugh! I'm not denying Eddie Vedder's talent, but I just can't take the way he acts. Howard Stern had a good explanation of Eddie a couple years into their career. He said the whole thing about Eddie Vedder is, "a year ago (again, Howard was speaking about two years after they broke) you'd see video of Eddie backstage and he was all happy-go-lucky, and bouncing around and stuff, like, 'Hey, look at me, I'm a rock star, I'm having fun', and now he acts all depressed all the time, like he's got the whole world on his shoulders". Not an exact quote, but in so many words it's what he said, and I think he nailed Eddie's whole shtick perfectly. At some point in the first two years he decided to take on that whole sensitive/tortured artist act, and started preaching about various causes. I don't mind an artist informing me of a cause they care about, but I don't appreciate being preached to by anyone, especially in the way certain artists like Eddie and Bono do. It's just off-putting to me, and it's taken over their whole being. You can't sit through most songs, let alone a whole performance, without being guilted into some belief or cause by these pretentious know-it-alls. Before Eddie started playing in that Needle clip, the look on his face, I couldn't tell if he was going to start singing or crap his pants. He just takes himself way to seriously to me, and feels the need to push it on his audience. If they like that, and buy into it, that's fine, but I can't take it.

Date: August 30, 2009 20:13

SwayStones
jagger50
SwayStones
jagger50

Si, si.smoking smiley

No need to be so pedantic. Being from London I grew up with gonna.

Date: August 30, 2009 20:35

jagger50
SwayStones
jagger50
SwayStones
jagger50

Si, si.smoking smiley

No need to be so pedantic. Being from London I grew up with gonna.

Sorry ,I always thought that gonna/wanna/oughta/hafta/ were words used by American Australian people to represent speech in a text.Was your answer a private joke or a harsh answer ?

Date: August 30, 2009 21:11

boogie69
Ugh! I'm not denying Eddie Vedder's talent, but I just can't take the way he acts. Howard Stern had a good explanation of Eddie a couple years into their career. He said the whole thing about Eddie Vedder is, "a year ago (again, Howard was speaking about two years after they broke) you'd see video of Eddie backstage and he was all happy-go-lucky, and bouncing around and stuff, like, 'Hey, look at me, I'm a rock star, I'm having fun', and now he acts all depressed all the time, like he's got the whole world on his shoulders". Not an exact quote, but in so many words it's what he said, and I think he nailed Eddie's whole shtick perfectly. At some point in the first two years he decided to take on that whole sensitive/tortured artist act, and started preaching about various causes. I don't mind an artist informing me of a cause they care about, but I don't appreciate being preached to by anyone, especially in the way certain artists like Eddie and Bono do. It's just off-putting to me, and it's taken over their whole being. You can't sit through most songs, let alone a whole performance, without being guilted into some belief or cause by these pretentious know-it-alls. Before Eddie started playing in that Needle clip, the look on his face, I couldn't tell if he was going to start singing or crap his pants. He just takes himself way to seriously to me, and feels the need to push it on his audience. If they like that, and buy into it, that's fine, but I can't take it.

Indeed. Valid point. Interesting observation. I've been following the band for the last 18 years and do agree at the beginning when he was young and not quite sure of himself, he exhibited alot of what Howard Stern had to say . . . but people grow as they age and I don't find him taking himself all that seriously nowadays. As for the video above, he was speaking of death and the death of MJ; not that I care either way, but it was kind of a solemn moment. I personally don't like the political talk and again he has curbed that quite a bit; not once was there any politics at the two shows in Chicago last week, just good 'ol rock'n'roll . . .

Posted by: albop ()
Date: August 30, 2009 22:34

I saw Pearl Jam in London (O2 arena) for the first time. My best show this year and one of the shows of my life. For information, they played in 2 nights in Chicago (8/23/09 and 8/24/09) 56 songs and only 7 repeats ! Incredible !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-30 23:07 by albop.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: August 31, 2009 02:49

hi - thanks for posting Needle & the Damage Done. Was he playing the beginning of Ben after that(?!)

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: August 31, 2009 07:09

swiss
Was he playing the beginning of Ben after that(?!)

Sounds like he was playing Sunshine On My Shoulders by John Denver.
Pearl Jam were a halfway decent band when they started, but have become shadows of the past imo. Irrelevant and stagnant.

Date: September 1, 2009 00:42

swiss
hi - thanks for posting Needle & the Damage Done. Was he playing the beginning of Ben after that(?!)

Perhaps, but they went into a song called "Rats", which has the coda part as "Ben, the two of us need look no more . . ." A little MJ bit, so in essence he dedicated two songs to MJ.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1264
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home