Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Live Albums
Posted by: Undercover1 ()
Date: May 19, 2005 05:17

Can You experts rate all the Stones Officially Released Live Albums in order from best to worst for me?

Re: Live Albums
Posted by: johang ()
Date: May 19, 2005 05:18

1. Get Yer Ya Yas
2. Love You Live
3. Stripped

The rest so bad forget them.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 19, 2005 08:26

johang Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 1. Get Yer Ya Yas
> 2. Love You Live
> 3. Stripped
>
> The rest so bad forget them.

What about Rock And Roll Circus? Does that one count? Nice to have a decent sounding live recording with Brian on it.

I'm curiours whether anyone has heard the 2002 Abkco reissue of Got Live If You Want It. My old vinyl copy sounded HORRIBLE. The worst stereo separation I have ever heard in my life. Mick's voice, and ONLY Mick's voice on one side, and EVERYTHING ELSE on the other! Have they ever been able to do anything to correct this in subsequent reissues or does it still sound like that? It was like the Velvet Underground song, The Gift, where John Cale's voice is in one speaker and the band is in the other, so you can listen to one, or the other, or both. That was cool, but why in the world record a Stones live album like that?

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: May 19, 2005 08:30

1. Still Life
2. Ya Ya´s
3. Love You Live

Stripped is semi-live, get the rest (No Security, Flashpoint etc.) when you know these mentioned 3 by heart.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: May 19, 2005 09:05

"Ya Yas" stands alone as possibly the best live rock album ever released. It is the Stones entering into their most creative and productive period, and they sounded as good as they ever did. A masterpiece!

I like "Got Live if You Want It", not because of the sound or production, but for the incredible raw energy and palpable excitement of the crowd, even though one or two of the tracks are not live at all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-05-19 09:30 by DaveG.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: May 19, 2005 09:17

1)Ya Ya's Arguably the best live album ever.
2)Stripped Some live studio takes, but very impressive
3)Still Life Lots of edits but still, some great live versions
4)Flashpoint Not bad, like Factory Girl.
5)Love You Live Perhaps I'm one of the few that doesn't care for this that much
6)Live Licks Unnecessary
7)No Security Unnecessary
8)Got Live If You Want It Bad sounding

I have all on CD and most on vinyl and I would recommend all of them, just to get the feel of the Stones at various points of their careers.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: May 19, 2005 11:07

The best: When the whip comes down on "Sucking in the 70's".Never played better that song, I love the guitars.

Re: Concert Albums
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 19, 2005 11:20

1) essential (chronologically): R&R Circus, YaYas, LYL, Stripped, Four Flicks
2) i can't live without 'em, but maybe someone else can (also chronologically): Got Live (i know i know - but who cares! we have lift-off!!), Still Life, Flashpoint, No Security

"What do you want - what?!"
- Keith

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-05-19 12:38 by with sssoul.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: May 19, 2005 12:06

1 Ya Yas - Surely no arguments from most over this choice
2 Love You Live - I like it, esp El Mocambo side + the version of IORR
3 Stripped - Just before Ronnie forgot how to play guitar
4 Rock n Roll Circus - brilliant versions of all songs from the start of the stones live peak era
5 Live Licks - Most don't like it, but I like the upfront guitar mix
6 Got Live if You Want It - This would be brilliant if it wasn't so badly recorded. I just can't listen to it though!
7 Still Life - Fast and furious versions, but somehow sounds just wrong.
8 No Security - The tracklist reads great and I like the idea - but for some reason, this record sounds DEAD!
9 Flashpoint - This is just awful with too many overdubs and synth noises - but Factory Girl was good. I also like the studio songs - esp Highwire. I'd prefer the soundtrack to Live at the Max for this tour.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: May 19, 2005 12:14

Ya Yas - the perfect live record. Never equalled and never will be.
Got live - awful sound, but full of energy
LYL - aside from the superb El Mocambo tracks, mostly awful. Jagger never sang worse. It was absolutely slated when it came out and it amazes me that people now seem to revere it.
Still Life - great sound. A double would have suited better, tho
Flashpoint - patchy but sporadically brilliant (factory girl, sympathy, etc)
Stripped - very good. Second most essential live release after Ya Yas
No Security - good song selection, decent performances, pointless release
Live Licks - good miix, horrible editing and the most pointless release of the band's career. A shameful cash-in/contractual obligation

Date: May 19, 2005 12:39

Got Live - Stones at their early raw sounding best (and worst)
FlashPoint - Great stadium sound
Still Life - Ditto but could have been a double CD
Ya-Yas - Classic for sure

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 19, 2005 12:58

1. Ya-Ya's. Best live album by any band. Why ABKCO hasn't rereleased it with bonus tracks (which are in the can) is beyond me.
2. Still Life. It runs a bit too fast, but most of the songs are best ever versions, like UMT, LSTNT, Shattered, Imagination.
3. Love You Live side 1, 3 and 4. Excellent sound, raw and funky versions. Only Side 2 (from Tumbling Dice to YCAGWYW) sounds dead to me.
4. Got Live if You Want It. The first ever punk album. Horrible sound, but a true historic album.

That's it. All others can be thrown in the bin. Stripped was a nice idea, but most of it except SFM and LARS I find awfull. Bad playing of the guitarists (if I play like Wood on Shine a Light and Dead Flowers I was immediatly thrown out of every band I have ever been), bad over the top singing from Mick. The outtakes are much better by the wayL GS, All Down The Line, Black Limo, Let's Spend the Night, Honest I Do. No Security and Live Licks feature a bad Stones tribute band, and Flashpoint was nice at the time, but it just sounds to 80's nowadays.

Mathijs

Date: May 19, 2005 13:22

A question about Got Live If You Want It (my copy is called "Have You Seen Your Mother - Live"): Is it really a live album??? Listen to Lady Jane, for instance - sounds like sing-back to me. That goes for other tracks as well...

Posted by: marquess ()
Date: May 19, 2005 13:31

Yesterday after seeing the defeat of Sporting in the Uefa Cup Final, me and some friends decided to play some cards and the "Soundtrack" was Live Licks, the second CD.

Everybody enjoyed a lot and great versions of the songs this CD has!!

We all really enjoyed, the only default is the edit on Rocks Off, but for someone that does not know the song it is a Killer One!!!

Posted by: tussler ()
Date: May 19, 2005 13:32

Get yer ya-ya`s out
Stripped
No security
Paint it black in Flashpoint is superb

Posted by: Shezeboss ()
Date: May 19, 2005 13:35

1- LOVE YOU LIVE- STRIPPED- LIVE LICKS
2- GET YER- NO SECURITY
3- STILL LIFE- FLASH POINT

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: May 19, 2005 13:50

Ya Yas
stripped
love you live
still life
flashpoint
live licks
no security

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: May 19, 2005 13:56

3. Love You Live side 1, 3 and 4. Excellent sound,
> raw and funky versions. Only Side 2 (from Tumbling
> Dice to YCAGWYW) sounds dead to me.

Agree, totally. Its side two that spoils the reviews. Otherwise its their best. Love it.

I liked Flashpoint in '91 for a week or two and I enjoyed Little Red rooster for a year maybe but that has to be their worst album ever. Crap all thorugh the disc! A friend of mine had a bootleg from the same tour where Keith playes half the solo on SFTD in the wrong key. We pretended that was Ronnie playing bad but no no.

Date: May 19, 2005 14:11

DandelionPowderman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A question about Got Live If You Want It (my copy
> is called "Have You Seen Your Mother - Live"): Is
> it really a live album??? Listen to Lady Jane, for
> instance - sounds like sing-back to me. That goes
> for other tracks as well...

much of it is overdubbed, although theres live playing and singing there too

However, it doesnt come from the Albert Hall show as that song ended early due to a riot.The live performances are all from Bristol and Newcastle.

Two of the songs are actually 100% studio recordings but with crowd screams overdubbed...I've been loving you too long (from 1965) and Fortune Teller (from 1963!)

If you have a copy of "Have you seen your mother...live", you're sitting on something very valuable. Its very hard to find. I think it was pressed in the Uk for 'export only'

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: May 19, 2005 14:16

If you have a copy of "Have you seen your mother...live", you're sitting on something very valuable. Its very hard to find. I think it was pressed in the Uk for 'export only'

This album is indeed for Uk Export only (SKL 4838). Not very common, but by no means very hard to find or very valuable. It goes for around 50 Euros.

Date: May 19, 2005 14:23

<Two of the songs are actually 100% studio recordings but with crowd screams overdubbed...I've been loving you too long (from 1965) and Fortune Teller (from 1963!)>

I can't understand that the same isn't the case with Lady Jane?

Date: May 19, 2005 14:37

No. Its a live recording, although I guess maybe theres quite a bit more overdubbing than many of the other tracks. I havent listened to it in quite some time, though!

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: May 19, 2005 14:44

I loved the story in the Wyman book about how Jagger/Richard took songwriting credit, and publishing, for the first track on Got Live-the crowd chanting "We Want the Stones". These guys didn't miss a trick even back then. LOL

Karl

'Don’t forget, if you’re on your bike, wear white'

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: May 19, 2005 14:48

LYL - my favourite. Not slated by everyone when it came out. Sounds (long defunct UK music paper) gave it a 5 star reveiw under the heading 'Overproduced? No Overwhelming'

Date: May 19, 2005 15:06

maybe thats why Sounds went under...LOL

each to their own I guess. It seems to be like Satanic Majesties in some ways... pilloried and ridiculed for years and now many people seem to like it. That said, I guess every Stones album is loved by some.

I personally just cant stand Mick's singing on those 1976 shows. JJF from LYL is criminal.

Re: Love You Live
Date: May 19, 2005 15:22

>> Mick's singing <<
but ... the guitars! the guitars! the guitars!

- Keith

Posted by: roby ()
Date: May 19, 2005 15:54

1. Get Yer Ya Yas

2. Love You Live
3. Flashpoint

Re: Concert recordings
Date: May 20, 2005 09:47

>> Nice to have a decent sounding live recording with Brian on it. <<

the concert tracks on December's Children are mighty fine cooking.

- Keith

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2006
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home