Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Harmonica: Mick or Brian?
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 28, 2009 15:08

This isn't any kind of Mick Vs Brian debate, but am genuinely curious as to who plays what on the pre-Beggars Banquet recordings.

Surely Mick's playing must feature on at least some of the earlier harmonica tracks?

Re: Harmonica: Mick or Brian?
Posted by: jjflash73 ()
Date: August 28, 2009 15:26

During the Brian era, Brian played harmonica most of the time.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: August 28, 2009 15:45

jjflash73
During the Brian era, Brian played harmonica most of the time.
Did Brian play harmonica on Dear Doctor ?

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: August 28, 2009 16:31

Don't know if I'd say Brian played most of the harp parts, maybe someone can add to this but these songs below were all with Mick on harmonica.

Little by Little
Little Red Rooster
Dear Doctor
Parachute Woman
Doncha Bother Me
Down Home Girl
Confession the Blues
Honest I Do
Im A King Bee
The Spider and the Fly
The Under Assistant West Coast Promo Man

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 28, 2009 16:54

I think Brian plays harmonica on both Dear Doctor and Parachute Woman, however, Mick comes in at the end of PW with that simple wailing part, the first(Brian's) harmonica can still be heard in the background at this point too.

Mick can't have played harmonica on Dear Doctor as the earlier takes featuring him on guide vocal have the harmonica.

Dave Mason is supposed to have played on DD to some degree, Bill's book says he played guitar, but as only one guitar can be heard it's possible that he played harmonica. Dave played harmonica on Traffic's 1st and 2nd albums.

Posted by: neptune ()
Date: August 28, 2009 17:34

J-J-Flash
Don't know if I'd say Brian played most of the harp parts, maybe someone can add to this but these songs below were all with Mick on harmonica.

Little by Little
Little Red Rooster
Dear Doctor
Parachute Woman
Doncha Bother Me
Down Home Girl
Confession the Blues
Honest I Do
Im A King Bee
The Spider and the Fly
The Under Assistant West Coast Promo Man

I think that's Brian playing harp on the Under Assistant West Coast Promo Man.

Date: August 28, 2009 18:10

Big Al
This isn't any kind of Mick Vs Brian debate, but am genuinely curious as to who plays what on the pre-Beggars Banquet recordings.

Surely Mick's playing must feature on at least some of the earlier harmonica tracks?

On most of the earlier tracks, Mick plays harmonica whenever Brian is playing guitar (ie Little Red Rooster, Down Home Girl, Honest I Do, Confessin The Blues, Grown Up Wrong, etc.). On these songs, the harp is played ONLY during solos in the middle or at the end, times when Mick isn't singing. Whenever a harmonica is played throughout an entire song, however, it would most definitely be Brian since Mick can't be singing and playing harp at the same time. Another way of distinguishing Brian and Mick during the early days was the tempo, as the quicker harmonica parts were played by Brian.

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: August 28, 2009 20:32

neptune
I think that's Brian playing harp on the Under Assistant West Coast Promo Man.

Yes, as on Fanny Mae!

Date: August 29, 2009 00:59

The other day I heard "Look What You Done" and "Confessin The Blues" back to back. Hearing the two songs back to back really brought it up front how mcu faster, imaginative and precise Brian was on harmonica back then. I usually can spot Mick's early harp playing by these bars where he almost seems to run out of gas. seems to lag a bit. Brian on the other hand seems to want to go all night.
What is weird is that I still prefer Mick's harp playing; he just kind of howls. I like that.

Date: August 29, 2009 03:49

bRIAN PLAYED hARMONICA ON dEAR dOCTOR

Date: August 29, 2009 03:50

Brians best harmonica ever was 'I Just Want to Make Love To You'. My opinion of course. His playing is stronger than Jagger's singing.

Date: August 29, 2009 04:07

Brian's songs with harmonica

I just want to make love to you
Now I've got a Witness
Can I get a witness
Goin home
High and Dry
Dear Doctor
Prodigal Son
Not Fade Away
Empty Heart
Good times Bad times
2120 S Michigan avenue
ONE More try
Look What youve done
Stoned
I Want to be loved
Come On

Date: August 29, 2009 04:08

Brian on guitar, Mick on harmonica!

Date: August 29, 2009 04:27

jjflash73

I have to say that the best tracks in the early days were those that featured Mick on harp and both Brian and Keith on guitar (preferably Brian on slide). Brian was an excellent harp player but he had a tendency to showboat a little too much, and the tracks suffered, I believe, as a result. Brian on slide, on the other hand, was a different story. It was much more of a band effort with each member shining on their respective instruments.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: August 29, 2009 07:24

neptune
jjflash73

I have to say that the best tracks in the early days were those that featured Mick on harp and both Brian and Keith on guitar (preferably Brian on slide). Brian was an excellent harp player but he had a tendency to showboat a little too much, and the tracks suffered, I believe, as a result. Brian on slide, on the other hand, was a different story. It was much more of a band effort with each member shining on their respective instruments.

I respectfully diagree. When Brian's on harp, those tracks come alive,
as are the ones where he's on slide guitar (or the other instruments he played).
I like Jagger's harp playing ,too, back in those days, don't get me wrong.
And I'm sure Brian taught Jagger a lot about it (how could he not?).
Besides, how many white 22-year-olds in London played harp like Brian?

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: August 29, 2009 10:02

My favourite "Brian on harmonica"-tracks:

I Want To Be Loved
Stoned
I Just Want To Make Love To You
Not Fade Away
Now I´ve Got A Witness
Good Times, Bad Times
Cops And Robbers
2120 South Michigan Avenue
Look What You´ve Done
The Under Assistant...
Goin´Home (mixed way too low, though!)

Date: August 29, 2009 15:44

tomk
I like Jagger's harp playing ,too, back in those days, don't get me wrong. And I'm sure Brian taught Jagger a lot about it (how could he not?).
Besides, how many white 22-year-olds in London played harp like Brian?

Agreed. I like the story when the band was rehearsing in the very early days and Mick was playing harp during a song. Brian stops the band, takes out his own harmonica, turns to Mick and says: "Hey Mick, it might be better if you play it this way." Brian plays a few notes and a disheartened Mick, according to the story, gives Brian a look as if to say, "God, what instrument can this bloke not play?" This story I believe comes either from Stu or Dick Taylor.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1439
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home