Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Love in Vain by Ron Wood & the Faces
Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: March 31, 2005 21:04

Whoopee! I just listened to the Faces do LIV and man! once again I am reminded what a lethal guitarrist Ronnie once was.
Nada new here...just letting y'all know how sweet it can be.

Re: Love in Vain by Ron Wood & the Faces
Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: March 31, 2005 22:09

I remember Ron Wood's solo from an LA Forum bootleg in the early '70's, and it was tremendous. I've got numerous boots of Mick Taylor's solos on this tune, which are obviously great too, but you're right, Ronnie was fabulous with the Faces.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 31, 2005 22:54

And Ronnie wasn't trying to really imitate anyone back then - these days when he plays a "solo" (I use the word advisedly), he's often just trying to ape an old MT solo, such as CYHMK or LIV, often with appalling results. I wish he and the band would just allow him to be himself...even if it means we get very little in return.

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: April 1, 2005 02:25

I'm afraid, T&A, that if they let him do his own thing and be himself, Ronnie would do more posing than playing! I think it's awful that he can't play as well as he used to but he is a great example of how booze causes total deterioration! (Especially in the LARGE QUANTITIES that he's consumed!). I guess we're stuck with him, but he is a STONE! It could be worse! I really like Ronnie as a person; he's sweet!

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: April 1, 2005 03:10

100% agree with you, Debra. Sad, though, ain't it?

Posted by: Milo Yammbag ()
Date: April 1, 2005 07:06

Has everyone forgotten just how good Ronnie was ? He was always such a high energy player, capable of playing fantastic slide and pedal steel. It is still in him somewhere. Agree that the band should just let him play things HIS way. It is obvious that he CAN still play from all of his recent gigs/sitting in. Makes you wonder if he goes flat on Mick and Keith on purpose since they never let him really get any song credits. I hate it when people question Ron Woods talent, his work speaks for itself and so many great players respect him and love to play with him. Living in the shadows of Mick and Keith could kill you (Brian) or make you run away as fast as you can (Mick Taylor), but Ronnie has hung in there. Not an easy thing to do so it woulod seem

Milo, NYC
The pain of Love

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: April 1, 2005 11:15

I hope OpenG doesn't see this thread... grinning smiley

BTW, agree with Milo about living in the shadows of the Glimmers. It has to be quite hard.

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Date: April 1, 2005 12:39

<I hope OpenG doesn't see this thread...>

I'm sure he would never agree smiling smiley

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: April 1, 2005 12:55

Ronnie should be awarded the Nobel Prize for his very first lick on Imagination (Hampton 81) alone!

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1797
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home