Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

(from German book) Do Keith Covers of Hoagy Carmichael and Merle Haggard Exist?
Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: August 18, 2009 07:45

just now getting around to reading the Bill German book which I find quite interesting thus far.

Question: on page 45, Bill writes regarding a tape from the "Svi" collection:

"One was a homemade tape from Keith called "Somewhere Over the Counter" featuring Keith's renditions of Hoagy Carmichael and Merle Haggard songs."

Do these exist anywhere today?

Would love to hear his Merle covers. Merle, of course, is big in Montana as we are quite the country and western state. I do find it a bit of an odd pairing assuming, that is, that Keith and Merle are friends. Then again, I don't think Merle is as redneck as his image may make him out to be. He has had run ins with the law as Keith has.

As I recall, Merle was to open for the Stones in Dallas on the Bang tour, but he took sick and never did.

p

Re: (from German book) Do Keith Covers of Hoagy Carmichael and Merle Haggard Exist?
Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: August 18, 2009 07:54

The recordings of Nearness of You (Carmichael) and Sing Me Back Home (Haggard) exist on several boots.
Merle Haggard was to open at the Dallas 2005 show, but cancelled due to illnes. He did open in Little Rock a few months later.

Re: (from German book) Do Keith Covers of Hoagy Carmichael and Merle Haggard Exist?
Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: August 18, 2009 07:59

any other Haggard tunes besides that one?

p

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: August 18, 2009 08:03

Keith only recently recorded with Merle but as yet nothing released from session.....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: boogie69 ()
Date: August 18, 2009 09:47

Merle is DEFINITELY not the redneck moron a song like Okie From Muskogee (which I happen to like quite a bit) would lead you to believe. I seem to recall there's a story behind why he wrote that song, and if my vague memory serves me right, his feelings on things, and the point of view suggested by the lyrics of that song, were not the same.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1743
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home