Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: My Friend Met Ronnie Last Week
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: August 18, 2009 01:24

Palace Revolution 2000
Haha..T&A, this board REALLy needs something to happen.

SOMETHING...ANYTHING! SOS!

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: August 18, 2009 02:33

Am I the only one who thinks this story could be just that, a story?

The bartender knows of Ronnie's impending arrival, and Ronnie's son is with him?
I thought Ronnie is on the outs with his son, since Ronnie's leaving Jo.

Posted by: boogie69 ()
Date: August 18, 2009 09:24

Re: My Friend Met Ronnie Last Week new
Posted by: Palace Revolution 2000 ()
Date: August 18, 2009 00:26

Totally agree with most here,Boogie. Ronnie joining the Stones was perfect; and almost had to be. But somehow Keith has not been good for him; for his music. I always hear this lack of confidence in his solos with Stones. I really don't agree that he was not a good soloist though. What went away is the definition, the presence. he used to revel in being center stage and taking a solo from beginning to end. It made sense; the solo. E.g "Id rather go blind" live, or "jealous Guy" he tears it up. because this was his band. Not as big as Stones, but .. Now he does these schizoid effects, that are distortion for one second, some flutter picking for half a bar, some grimacing, and a slide flourish.

Haha! I was just trying to protect myself from drawing too much criticism, and I agree with you 100%. I'm really not that familiar with Ronnie's live playing, especially with the Faces, so I can't really speak that well on it. I've heard many criticism's on here of his playing live, but it seems it's the last 3 or 4 tours, which has caused people to forget the quality of his playing on earlier tours, which I quite like. Personally, I do think Mick T. is the better soloist of the two, but they are also different players, and I don't think it was ever Ronnie's goal to be the master lead technician type of player like Mick T. I was too young to have seen them in 81 or before, and haven't had any desire to see them from 89 on, so I admit it's been only live recordings and videos for me. The last time I watched Let's Spend The Night Together though, I remember really digging Ronnie's soloing, and being quite impressed. But that was mostly from how quick, speedy, and tight, surprisingly punkish at times even, they seemed (and who knows how much they may have been touched up), not from any real masterful skill. But I'm not usually impressed by masterful skill, I like rock n roll that's loose, drunk, and sloppy, yet still tight, if you know what I mean. From what I have heard and seen, I think Ronnie was more often than not a master of that, back in the day.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: August 18, 2009 10:29

Edith Grove
Am I the only one who thinks this story could be just that, a story?

The bartender knows of Ronnie's impending arrival, and Ronnie's son is with him?
I thought Ronnie is on the outs with his son, since Ronnie's leaving Jo.

Ronnie's son Jesse may have been with him, but his stepson Jamie very likely wasn't.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: August 18, 2009 11:20

It's just a waste of talent and opportunities. Some time ago it sounded promising: releasing nice albums like the two New Barbarians, writing an autobio, announcing a new solo project, etc. I had a feeling that this could be a sort of rehabilitation after years of being drunk on stage.

His behaviour is really bad news. For him, but for the Stones also. If Jagger didn't consider the Stones fit to tour in the mid-eighties (as he stated at some point), why the hell would he risk to ruin the last bit of respect they have music wise by touring with two train wrecks? He's got enough money to buy half the Carribean already!

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: August 18, 2009 12:07

Greetings oldbarbarian,

Any idea what bar in Dublin Ronnie was in??

oldbarbarian78
He was at an upscale bar in Ireland when the bar tender mentioned that Ronnie would be in soon. Sure enough, he, Ekat,his son and his son's gf arrived. He said Ronnie was really friendly and was drinking black russians like they were going out of style.

Guess our boy is off the wagon again...............

Posted by: oldbarbarian78 ()
Date: August 18, 2009 18:15

Sorry, IrelandCalling, I don't know which bar it was. I can check when possible. I know that my friend had just finished golfing if that helps. I doubt Ronnie had just come off the course.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: August 18, 2009 18:47

oldbarbarian78
Sorry, IrelandCalling, I don't know which bar it was. I can check when possible. I know that my friend had just finished golfing if that helps. I doubt Ronnie had just come off the course.

No,but it looks like he found the 19th Hole.drinking smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 18, 2009 19:06

IrelandCalling4
Greetings oldbarbarian,

oldbarbarian78
He was at an upscale bar in Ireland when the bar tender mentioned that Ronnie would be in soon. Sure enough, he, Ekat,his son and his son's gf arrived. He said Ronnie was really friendly and was drinking black russians like they were going out of style.

He didnt say it was Dublin. Just 'Ireland'.

However, as far as nearby golf courses go, Ronnie's home in Clane, Co. Kildare is just a couple of miles from the K Club.

Posted by: Gangster-of-love ()
Date: August 18, 2009 19:49

Can't imagine that we'll see the same poor playing by Ronnie like he did it back in '99 on the NS Tour.
But in anyway, let's we wait and see what will happen.

Keep on rollin'
Gangster

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: August 18, 2009 22:01

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: August 18, 2009 23:37

Gangster-of-love
Can't imagine that we'll see the same poor playing by Ronnie like he did it back in '99 on the NS Tour.

Ronnie played great in '99! Saw them once on that tour, and have a few shows...check out that stuff, he was fine

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 19, 2009 00:27

duke richardson
Gangster-of-love

Ronnie played great in '99! Saw them once on that tour, and have a few shows...check out that stuff, he was fine

saw them seven times on that tour and apart from Shepherds Bush when he was excellent, he barely played a chord at any of them, spending most of each show posing and waving. His absolute nadir. He even admitted himself that he was so out of it around then he can barely remember that tour. The Stones played some fine shows on that tour but it was in spite of Ronnie rather than because of him. Keith's last great tour - he was doing the work of two men for most of it.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: August 19, 2009 00:55

mr edward
If Jagger didn't consider the Stones fit to tour in the mid-eighties (as he stated at some point), why the hell would he risk to ruin the last bit of respect they have music wise by touring with two train wrecks?

it's a reasonable question....but the reason jagger might let it go is that since the mid-80's the stones have perfected the sleight of hand trick that makes it seem like the stones are still the stones....mick couldn't have known that was possible back then....

Posted by: oldbarbarian78 ()
Date: August 19, 2009 17:11

Gazza
IrelandCalling4
Greetings oldbarbarian,

oldbarbarian78

He didnt say it was Dublin. Just 'Ireland'.

However, as far as nearby golf courses go, Ronnie's home in Clane, Co. Kildare is just a couple of miles from the K Club.

Gazza, you're right, It was the K club.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1293
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home