Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Jah Is Not Dead - questions
Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 2, 2021 16:44

Saw a reference to Max Romeo so it got me thinking about this song and I found this thread again...that seems to repeat itself a few times too many (probably due to bv's patient "merging" technique ;-) I'll try to remember that it's got nothing to do with Max Romeo !

So what was Boz Scaggs doing with the Stones, well three of them at least, playing this track ? It seems they might have put some work in it too, there must be some kind of story about it. Since Boz apparently confirmed the line-up maybe he also gave some background ?

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Re: Question about Jah Is Not Dead
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 2, 2021 18:32

rootsman
Thanks P R 200 for the Boz Scaggs confirmation, I´ve never really listened to him...

So no one knows anything more then?

Boz has a deep and varied (and mostly very good) catalog. Not to mention that voice.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: doitywoik ()
Date: April 3, 2021 15:32

Hound Dog
I am a huge reggae fan. Here is some info on this track. There is also a song called Jah is Wonderful, there is a 50 minute version of this jam from I think 1975 in Paris.

That's kind of how I remember the Story. They played it (the 50 min version) to Ahmet Ertegun and told him it was their new album and he went mad. Not sure where exactly I read it first, must have been one of the books that were around in '82/'83 ("The First 20 Years"?). I remember this as (reportedly, of course) having happened in the mid-70s rather that 1979 but I may be wrong.

Date: April 3, 2021 18:53

The answer is on page 1 in Gazza's post dated "April 10, 2011 12:28", you're welcome ;-)

--------------
IORR Links : Essential Studio Outtakes CDs : Audio - History of Rarest Outtakes : Audio

Jah Is Not Dead
Date: October 24, 2023 23:53

I read somewhere in a Rolling Stones book that there's an unreleased song recorded during the Emotional Rescue sessions titled 'Jah Is Not Dead'.

I had forgotten about reading that bit, until I saw an IORR member named jahisnotdead recently comment on Bobby Keys posthumous second solo album.

I had to look up the song, and the musical arrangement is like hearing mid to late 70's Fleetwood Mac ('You Make Loving Fun').

I also couldn't stop laughing at the lyrics that Mick was singing about and the fact that there's only two chords in the song.

I hope it's okay that I post about this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-24 23:55 by MrForeverMusicFan.

Re: Jah Is Not Dead
Date: October 24, 2023 23:57

Are you talking about the long jam; where Boz joins in? And Jagger tells the guys to do coke somewhere else?

Posted by: ProfessorWolf ()
Date: October 25, 2023 00:13

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-25 00:16 by ProfessorWolf.

Date: October 25, 2023 00:21

And there's supposedly a 45' version that Mick played to the record company execs who came to see how work was progressing on the new album!

--------------

Date: October 25, 2023 00:22

Palace Revolution 2000
Are you talking about the long jam; where Boz joins in? And Jagger tells the guys to do coke somewhere else?

That's the one.

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: October 25, 2023 06:40

I got the big chicken, baby!

Date: October 25, 2023 07:23

gotdablouse
And there's supposedly a 45' version that Mick played to the record company execs who came to see how work was progressing on the new album!

i've never heard of that before

could someone elaborate a little more on this supposed 45'?

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 25, 2023 13:20

ProfessorWolf
gotdablouse

That was not the song Jah is Not Dead, but the Delroy Washington track 'Jah Wonderful'.

Mathijs

Date: October 25, 2023 13:22

ProfessorWolf
gotdablouse

Bv merged this thread with a previous thread that discussed it. Apparently the 45 minute version doesn't exist. It was part of a prank where Mick played this version for a record company executive, telling him that the 50 minute version was going to be the Stones' new album, but that they might be able to cut it down to 45 minutes.

Date: October 25, 2023 17:53

Also the song has this Fleetwood Mac Tusk era vibe about it as well.

It's as if Mick Jagger stepped into a Fleetwood Mac session and Lindsey Buckingham is playing the guitar on the song.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-10-25 17:53 by MrForeverMusicFan.

Date: October 31, 2023 10:48

I listened to 'Jah Is Not Dead' 17 times yesterday.

It's a shame that this song didn't make the final cut for Emotional Rescue.

The lyrics such as, "The trouble with Christianity, is that it's Christian! It's the problem of all religions. Religiousness!", "if you're going to do coke, do it in the other room", and "I got the big chicken, baby!" are interesting.

The above with Bill Wyman's farting bass line make this song essential.

Date: October 31, 2023 10:59

jahisnotdead
ProfessorWolf
gotdablouse

Bv merged this thread with a previous thread that discussed it. Apparently the 45 minute version doesn't exist. It was part of a prank where Mick played this version for a record company executive, telling him that the 50 minute version was going to be the Stones' new album, but that they might be able to cut it down to 45 minutes.

ok

put what i though 45' meant was a 45 rpm 7" single

which i take it also doesn't existwinking smiley

Date: October 31, 2023 11:39

MrForeverMusicFan

The lyrics such as, "The trouble with Christianity, is that it's Christian! It's the problem of all religions. Religiousness!", "if you're going to do coke, do it in the other room", and "I got the big chicken, baby!" are interesting.

It sounds like Ron Wood on Bass.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 31, 2023 12:25

Palace Revolution 2000
MrForeverMusicFan

It sounds like Ron Wood on Bass.

Wood on bass, Jagger/Scaggs vocals, Scaggs guitar, Charlie drums.

To date it is not known if this is a Jagger/(Richards/Scaggs) penned song, or a cover. The phrase 'Jah no dead' is a known Rasta phrase. There is no resemblance to the Burning Spear song though.

Mathijs

Date: October 31, 2023 16:31

Mathijs

To date it is not known if this is a Jagger/(Richards/Scaggs) penned song, or a cover. The phrase 'Jah no dead' is a known Rasta phrase. There is no resemblance to the Burning Spear song though.

Mathijs

The song credits are listed here as well.

Date: October 31, 2023 19:00

MrForeverMusicFan
Mathijs

Mathijs

The song credits are listed here as well.

They are incorrect.

Date: November 8, 2023 19:07

This is the greatest unreleased Rolling Stones song in my opinion.

Date: November 8, 2023 19:16

Listened to it "by accident" yesterday while sifting through a folder of old outtakes, quite a strange song, pretty unique in the Stones' canon I must say !

Scaggs might well be playing lead guitar in the left channel (it stops when he sings) but there's also a rythm guitar in the right channel, would have to be Mick ?

Sort of doubt this is an original though with these fully developed lyrics. At this stage you'd think that the original version would have been uncovered but after all it took 30 years to find out that "Break Away" ("Trouble's a Comin") was a cover ;-)

--------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2023-11-08 19:28 by gotdablouse.

Date: November 8, 2023 19:23

I'm embarrassed to say that I never knew who the second vocalist was until just now!

Date: November 9, 2023 01:45

Here's something I noticed.

There isn't any guitar in the right channel, until after Mick says 'if you're going to do coke, do it in the other room'.

I think the guitar in the right channel is Keith.

Date: November 9, 2023 02:21

MrForeverMusicFan
Here's something I noticed.

There isn't any guitar in the right channel, until after Mick says 'if you're going to do coke, do it in the other room'.

I think the guitar in the right channel is Keith.

haha,, so I guess Keith departed to the other room.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 9, 2023 10:29

gotdablouse
after all it took 30 years to find out that "Break Away" ("Trouble's a Comin") was a cover ;-)

Indeed... reading Boby Keys bio could have informed us Keith was heavily into the Chi-Lites during the 72 tour. So the band did not discover "Trouble's a Comin" in 1979.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2187
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home