Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Bob Dylan stopped by Police the other day
Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: August 15, 2009 02:50

Re: OT: Bob Dylan stopped by Police the other day
Posted by: Amused ()
Date: August 15, 2009 02:54

that's quite ridiculous in two ways:

a) Bob Dylan is like any other of us, he's got to have his ID too ;-)
b) you can't walk at night and not get busted?

anyway... was he thinking about this Christmas album? smiling smiley

Posted by: glencar ()
Date: August 15, 2009 03:21

I think if an older, scruffy looking fellow is wandering around an area like that, cops are probably thinking "drug buy." Might not be fair but the odds are like that. It's funny that 2 20-somethings didn't know who Dylan was. The 20-somethings have proved to be terribly stupid lately.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: August 15, 2009 03:32

That girl is an idiot - or maybe ignorant to the facts and obviously is one of those chicks that listen to that modern R&B moaning music or the push button shit because obviously, well, it's obvious.

He doesn't look like Bob Dylan? Yeah, sure he doesn't - from the cover of his 1960s albums, he sure does not look like Bob Dylan.

REGARDLESS, he should carry ID on him. Hell, even Mick Jagger got caught without ID on him in that silly movie he made and he didn't look like the Mick Jagger on the record cover... so life imitating art - hilarious.

Posted by: Floorbird ()
Date: August 15, 2009 04:49

Sad, you can't even walk around and look at houses without being harassed; sadder still they never heard of Bob Dylan. The cops are probably from the MTV generation the one of the two minute attention span.

Posted by: out of my head ()
Date: August 15, 2009 08:43

Yes. That is the saddest thing of all. Not knowing who Bob Dylan is. Just weird to me. What rock do these kids live under ? I grew up in a small town in south texas. South Texas for crying out loud ! Discovered Stones when I was 6 and by the time I was 10 knew who Muddy, Howlin, Robert Johnson, Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix were to name a few. Geez people get a clue. Such a disgrace that these kids are so oblivious. Feel that way now that i am 36 and felt that way back when I was 10 about my peers. But it is just totally inexplicable to me how anyone alive in USA of all places has never heard of bob dylan. Probably bullshit and the kid wanted some attention. Cant see how anyone could not know.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: August 15, 2009 08:59

Anyone just walking around in this land of the free should not be harassed. Put an idiot in a uniform and you're going to get extreme idiocy.

I wonder if BD told the cop, "I'm Bob Dylan", and the cop said "Who's that?"

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: August 15, 2009 09:53

So everyone in law enforcemenet is supposed to know who Bob Dylan is or looks like? Do they pass around a photo? "Don't stop this man. He wrote Like A Rolling Stone." According to the press release, he wasn't arrested or anything.
So the next time you see someone outside your door or a stranger in your neighborhood you should say, "Hey, are you Bob Dylan?"

Posted by: MacPhisto ()
Date: August 15, 2009 12:16

Like a complete unknown: Bob Dylan frogmarched to collect ID after rookie policewoman fails to recognise scruffy music legend

Back in 1965 Bob Dylan sang: 'How does it feel to be on your own, with no direction home, like a complete unknown?'

Now, 44 years later, the world-famous musician got his answer when he was stopped by a police officer who didn't know who he was.

The 22-year-old officer asked the 'eccentric-looking old man' for identification papers after stopping him in the U.S. seaside town of Long Branch, New Jersey.

Not recognising his name, the officer ordered him into the back of her police car, driving him back to his hotel to check his story.

It was not until she radioed her colleagues at the station to ask who he was, did she learn of her error.

The 68-year-old singer had been in town for a concert with Willie Nelson and John Mellencamp.

He was taking an afternoon stroll through the town’s Latin quarter when town's police station received a call complaining that a man was acting suspiciously.

Police officer Craig Spencer said: 'Residents called to complain there was an old scruffy man acting suspiciously.

'It was an odd request because it was mid-afternoon, but it’s an ethnic Latin area and the residents felt the man didn’t fit in. Lets just say he looked eccentric.

'We dispatched a young woman officer. She is 22 and unfortunately she had no idea who Bob Dylan was.

'He was on a walkabout but she wasn’t entirely convinced of his innocence.

'She took him back to the hotel to check his papers, then she called us to check who Bob Dylan was.

'I’m afraid we all fell about laughing. If it was me, I’d have been demanding his autograph not his photo ID.

'The poor woman has taken rather a lot of abuse from us,' he added.

'I offered to bring in some of my Dylan albums, but unfortunately she doesn’t know what vinyl is either.'

This is not the first time that the notoriously reclusive singer has been spotted out alone.

He shunned his chauffeur-driven car after a concert in Belfast in 1991, and was captured by a television crew waiting at a bus stop instead.

The music legend once told an interviewer: 'Being noticed is a burden. Jesus got himself crucified because he got himself noticed. So I disappear a lot.'

Dylan’s 1960s anthem The Times They Are a-Changin’ signalled the start of America’s youth protest movement. Given yesterday's incident, it seems he was right.

Read more: [www.dailymail.co.uk]

Seems like skipstone was right. The stupid girl doesn't even know what vinyl is. Ridiculous!

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: August 15, 2009 12:33

MacPhisto, and do you know everything about ploughshares? winking smiley
some people are just not interested in the things we are and I'm okay with it.

Date: August 15, 2009 12:39

Amused
MacPhisto, and do you know everything about ploughshares? winking smiley
some people are just not interested in the things we are and I'm okay with it.

I get your drift and I do not intend to be arrogant. Not recognizing Bob as he looks today is perfectly understandable to me (I suppose many people of Bob's age who liked him back in the sixties wouldn't recognize him today).

But not knowing what vinyl is? Come on, this as much basic knowledge as it gets. It's more like not knowing what a paperback is (whether you are interested in reading or not) than not knowing everything about ploughshares, if you want to use a comparison.

Posted by: squando ()
Date: August 15, 2009 13:13

"Put an idiot in a uniform and you're going to get extreme idiocy."

So she's an idiot because she didn't recognise or know of Dylan? Check that - I meant an extreme idiot. Would seem the only thing extreme here is this comment.

"The stupid girl doesn't even know what vinyl is. Ridiculous!"

Why? Classic how some people assume because they know of something or someone that everybody else should. She is 22 for God's sake. Born 1987. CDs had phased out vinyl by the end of the 80s. She grew up with cds. We know nothing at all about this girl and she is being ridiculed for what? Not knowing about a bloke that hasn't had a hit single for 30 years and is 46 years her senior. Legend or not, he ain't exactly front page news.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: August 15, 2009 13:18

About 17 years ago Mick was refused a video from a rental shop because he'd forgotten his membership card.

Date: August 15, 2009 13:44

squando
"Put an idiot in a uniform and you're going to get extreme idiocy."

So she's an idiot because she didn't recognise or know of Dylan? Check that - I meant an extreme idiot. Would seem the only thing extreme here is this comment.

"The stupid girl doesn't even know what vinyl is. Ridiculous!"

Why? Classic how some people assume because they know of something or someone that everybody else should. She is 22 for God's sake. Born 1987. CDs had phased out vinyl by the end of the 80s. She grew up with cds. We know nothing at all about this girl and she is being ridiculed for what? Not knowing about a bloke that hasn't had a hit single for 30 years and is 46 years her senior. Legend or not, he ain't exactly front page news.
Great points! This woman puts her life on the line & we should cut her some slack. Evidently, Dylan wasn't all that upset.

Posted by: wolfi ()
Date: August 15, 2009 14:47

For me the most interesting thing sabout this story are two:

First: It was in the middle of the day - and people get suspicious, because a stranger is walking about...

Second: Bob was really polite and took the whole thing lighthearted(at least so it seems) - not at all like that black professor who had this runin with the police when he couldn't get into his own house...

The US really is a very strange place! Each time we go there on holiday (and I've been to different parts of the USA at least 20 times) we feel like we're on a different planet from Europe!

Date: August 15, 2009 14:50

squando
Why? Classic how some people assume because they know of something or someone that everybody else should. She is 22 for God's sake. Born 1987. CDs had phased out vinyl by the end of the 80s. She grew up with cds.

She's exactly my age and I can therefore assure you that people of that age indeed do know about vinyls as well as other "relicts" as vcrs. Believe it or not, I even manage get a vinyl to reveal the music contained on it ;-)

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: August 15, 2009 15:09

This is not the first time that the notoriously reclusive singer has been spotted out alone... He shunned his chauffeur-driven car after a concert in Belfast in 1991, and was captured by a television crew waiting at a bus stop instead.

Bob goes off the beaten track. Last year, in Winnipeg, he went to the childhood home of Neil Young. The owners were returning from shopping and offered the 'fan' a tour. The husband knew who he was but didn't make a big deal. The wife didn't recognise him.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: August 15, 2009 15:23

Floorbird
Sad, you can't even walk around and look at houses without being harassed; sadder still they never heard of Bob Dylan.

Date: August 15, 2009 15:57

wolfi
For me the most interesting thing sabout this story are two:

First: It was in the middle of the day - and people get suspicious, because a stranger is walking about...

Second: Bob was really polite and took the whole thing lighthearted(at least so it seems) - not at all like that black professor who had this runin with the police when he couldn't get into his own house...

The US really is a very strange place! Each time we go there on holiday (and I've been to different parts of the USA at least 20 times) we feel like we're on a different planet from Europe!
I hardly ever see cops when I'm in Europe.

As for the black prof thing, he insulted the cop; that'll always cause you problems, no matter what planet you live on.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: August 15, 2009 22:24

SomeTorontoGirl

This is not the first time that the notoriously reclusive singer has been spotted out alone... He shunned his chauffeur-driven car after a concert in Belfast in 1991, and was captured by a television crew waiting at a bus stop instead.

Bob goes off the beaten track. Last year, in Winnipeg, he went to the childhood home of Neil Young. The owners were returning from shopping and offered the 'fan' a tour. The husband knew who he was but didn't make a big deal. The wife didn't recognise him.

Yeah he also recently visited John Lennon's childhood home. Springsteen was born in Long Branch. Maybe he was looking for Bruce's old home.smiling bouncing smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: squando ()
Date: August 16, 2009 10:39

"Believe it or not, I even manage get a vinyl to reveal the music contained on it"

How do you go with typing sentences these days at 22? cool smiley

Date: August 16, 2009 11:10

Not as good as most native speaker would, I guess. Thanks.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: August 16, 2009 18:17

Was Bob Dylan looking for the home where Bruce Springsteen wrote "Born to Run" in 1974 when he was detained by police near the Jersey shore last month?

It may have been as simple as it appears: Dylan told police he was talking a walk and looking at a home for sale.

But the area where Dylan was picked up was just a couple blocks from the beachside bungalow where Bruce Springsteen wrote the material for his landmark 1975 album "Born to Run."

In the past nine months, Dylan has visited the childhood homes of Neil Young and John Lennon, in both cases appearing without fanfare and barely identifying himself after he was recognized.

Last November, Winnipeg homeowner John Kiernan told Sun Media's Simon Fuller that Dylan and a friend arrived unannounced in a taxi to his Grosvenor Ave. home, where songwriter Neil Young grew up.

Dylan has shown a deep affinity for the Canadian rocker over the years, most recently in his 2001 song "Highlands." And Young said at a Nashville concert in 2005 that he once lent Dylan one of his most precious musical treasures -- Hank Williams' guitar, for which Young wrote the ballad "This Old Guitar." Both men revere Williams, a country music legend.

In May, Dylan joined a public tour of John Lennon's childhood home, according to the BBC. A spokeswoman for the National Trust, which runs the home as London landmark, said Dylan "took one of our general minibus tours.

"People on the minibus did not recognize him apparently," the spokeswoman told the British news agency. "He could have booked a private tour, but he was happy to go on the bus with everyone else."

Springsteen spent two of the most creative years of his young career in the house on West Court in Long Branch in 1974 and 1975, penning "Born to Run," "Thunder Road" and "Backstreets" while living there.

Dylan's spokesman did not immediately return a call or e-mail for comment.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 16, 2009 18:19

Great story - almost as good as some of the ones Keith makes up.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 16, 2009 18:20

Bob Dylan stopped by Police the other day -

Sting must be needing some songs!

Posted by: whiskey ()
Date: August 17, 2009 04:50

If some of the posts in this thread are genuine, how could the actions of the local residents who rang the police be explained.

Posted by: out of my head ()
Date: August 17, 2009 07:10

They were far away and didnt talk to him and get his name. They have an excuse.

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: August 17, 2009 07:41

Bob Dylan arrested, charged with walking while white! (;-)

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 17, 2009 15:37

glencar
I think if an older, scruffy looking fellow is wandering around an area like that, cops are probably thinking "drug buy." Might not be fair but the odds are like that. It's funny that 2 20-somethings didn't know who Dylan was. The 20-somethings have proved to be terribly stupid lately.
bob dylan is not some older scruffy looking fellow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: nashville ()
Date: August 17, 2009 17:04

They should have arrested him for going electric back in 1965

andy

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1690
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home