Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: Your first disapointment of a Rolling Stones-record
Posted by: GimmieChris ()
Date: August 11, 2009 03:02

Their Satanic Majesties Request.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: August 11, 2009 03:30

Let It Bleed

OK, let me explain, as a teenager I was disappointed that they "substituted" Honky Tonk Women" for a country version of the song. Back then I didn't appreciate it.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: August 11, 2009 03:48

GHS. A very spotty record that sounded lousy. It was the beginning of the end. IORR was not much better and that was with Taylor. I hung in there for old times sake, but that monstrous '81 LA Coliseum show did me in. But in the late '90's I discovered boots and it was fun again.

Posted by: silverstones69 ()
Date: August 11, 2009 03:48

There isn't, can or will never be one.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 11, 2009 04:02

camper88
Emotional Rescue. Not the follow up to Some Girls I was hoping for at the time, however now I fully enjoy the album. So it's all good.

Yep, that's exactly right.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: saturn57 ()
Date: August 11, 2009 05:44

Haven't been disapointed yet. In fact the latter day lps are really good. Too many people want to compare these lps with the "golden period". You can't compare eras. Music had more of an impact in the 60s & 70s then later periods. Doesn't make them better. ABB to me is yet another great Stones album. Trying to compare 60s Stones to 2000 Stones is like trying to compare current baseball players with past stars.

It's so very lonely, you're 2,000 Light Years from home

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: August 11, 2009 07:15

The whole Let It Bleed album when I was about 11. Boy was I wrong!

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: August 11, 2009 07:21

Consistency never was the Rolling Stones' greatest strength. So there have been plenty of disappointing Stones' albums. But the first really disappointing one would have to be Satanic Majesties: Misguided psychedelia over mediocre songwriting.

If I were European, I'd say Between the Buttons. But I'm American, and the US version of that album was bolstered by the inclusion of Let's Spend the Night Together and Ruby Tuesday.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: August 11, 2009 07:40

As a late-borner, I only got into this band come "Wandering Spirit", which I like a lot. "Slide On This" is good, "Voodoo Lounge" is good too, "Bridges" took more of an effort to get into, but is my favourite of current era Stones by now. The first side of "Primitive Cool" is good, the 2nd falls flat somewhat. "Charlie Watts Jim Keltner Project" is a bit too electronic for my taste, but it's still good because I love Keltner's style, too. "Goddess in the Doorway" was pleasant but had its boring numbers that I don't play anymore. "Not For Beginners" is good, though not as good as "Slide On This". The new Licks tunes are in the fave league as well, for the most part. "Steel Wheels" is a bit so-so, but OK. "Alfie has its moments, but is a soundtrack, so there are not enough of them, just like would be expected of a soundtrack. "A Bigger Bang" was even more so-so. I don't play it as a whole.

So going by release date, the first disappointment would have been "A Bigger Bang".
And to top it off, my mother and uncle don't like it either.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 11, 2009 08:41

Emotional Rescue. I was expecting Some Girls part II and was a relatively new Stoner. So I was a bit dissapointed by the lack of grit on the disc. I like it now. And have always really liked Dance Pt. 1 and Down in the Hole...but it seemed like a patchy lackluster follow up to Some Girls.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: August 11, 2009 09:24

dirty work was the first one for me

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: August 11, 2009 09:41

Bridges to Babylon.

Posted by: boogie69 ()
Date: August 11, 2009 09:44

Actually, Exile.

It was one of those things where it was supposed to be the greatest album Evahhh, and on first listen I thought, really?

I'm not hearing it.

Sounds pretty confused, dark, and muddied.

That was the first listen.

The last seventeen thousand listens, however, have been much improved.

That's how I still feel about it, except for about 6 or 7 songs. I just don't get that album, most of it's too thin and tinny sounding for my tastes. And when I hear the Olympic studios outtake of Loving Cup, and how full it sounds compared to the one on Exile, I feel vindicated and think, what could have been.

Posted by: whiskey ()
Date: August 11, 2009 09:57

The only period I like is from 1963 to 2008

Posted by: nanker phelge ()
Date: August 11, 2009 10:25

camper88
Actually, Exile.

It was one of those things where it was supposed to be the greatest album Evahhh, and on first listen I thought, really?

I'm not hearing it.

Lol!!

Posted by: benon again ()
Date: August 11, 2009 10:49

I was very dissapointed with Bridges To Babylon but today it`s my favourite album from post Steel wheels era.Great production sophisticated sound and 4-5 great songs including ending of album.
Contemporary editions are so weak that i wasn`t dissapointed with Live Licks , ABB and Shine a light.I don`t just listen to this.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: August 11, 2009 11:22

GHS, There are a few decent songs but overall I just could not get into this album at all.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: August 11, 2009 12:00

Love You Live (except for the El Mocambo side)

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: August 11, 2009 12:47

I bought Majesties and thought, cool, this will be good.

I already had the good tracks - on More Hot Rocks.

Shit excuse for an album.

After the initial excitement of having a new album, Dirty Work. Over the years it has taken the place as second worst - behind Majesties.

Live albums - Shine A Light, without a doubt, awful.

But even worse - Got LIVE If You Want It.

And even though I like it, Love You Live is horrible. El Mocambo side is good, not great, and there are only a few good songs (performances) overall on the album.

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: August 11, 2009 12:52

ABB

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: August 11, 2009 13:28

i was appalled the 1st time i heard dirty work on its release date, and haven't been too happy with any following studio release either.

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: August 11, 2009 14:29

TeaAtThree
Live Licks and Shine a Light were the first for me. While others are better or worse than some, these are the two records that I simply don't go back to at all.

I was excited by every release and enjoyed then in varying fashion for a spell. For example, Steel Wheels was exciting as it came out two days after the tour started, yet I hardly play it at all now. But I wasn't disappointed.

LL and SAL, I don't think I ever paid attention to them like I have every other release.

Agreed 100%.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 11, 2009 14:41

Couldnt believe what I was hearing when I first heard the opening lines of 'Emotional Rescue'. A friend of mine had heard it before me and warned me that my favourite band had just released a record that 'sounds like the f***in' Bee Gees' and I thought he was taking the piss.

Wasnt too impressed with the album as a whole either when I first got it, but Stones records are sometimes like having a new baby - ie, you wait for ages on it, your first instinct is to worry unnecessarily about the amount of shit there might be, but when you get used to it you end up loving them anyway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-11 14:42 by Gazza.

Posted by: WeLoveYou ()
Date: August 11, 2009 15:24

I liked Undercover, the first Stones record I bought (I was aged 12). Then Dirty Work was a dreadful disappointment...same goes with the marginally better Steel Wheels...

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: August 11, 2009 15:39

Gazza
... but Stones records are sometimes like having a new baby - ie, you wait for ages on it, your first instinct is to worry unnecessarily about the amount of shit there might be, but when you get used to it you end up loving them anyway.

Well said ! You're absolutely rightthumbs up

Except for some tracks (Not so many for a nearly 50 years discography) but you know what i meanwinking smiley

HMN

HMN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-11 15:40 by Honestman.

Posted by: jeanmarie ()
Date: August 11, 2009 19:27

in fact it was the first Time I was waiting for "the last Stones" : Black & Blue . I discovered the Stones with GHS & IORR, then buy the back catalog SF EOMS Yaya's ... so that explain B&B was my first (relative) disapointment : only 8 tracks and appreciate only half of the album

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: August 11, 2009 20:34

Angie was where they started to get disapointing!

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: August 11, 2009 21:23

camper88
Actually, Exile.

I'm not hearing it.

That is funny, I was the same way! I was almost 14 when Exile came out. I had been waiting anxiously for it. It was a hot as hell in Mississippi just before summer and I had to cut a couple of Neighbor's yards to get the $7.99 (plus tax) that a double album cost back in '72. I rode my bike all the way across town after school to a record store where my buddy worked who had agreed to sell it to me a couple of days before it was actually released. Rode all the way home...put the album on and listened all the way through.

It was the worst crap I had ever heard. I actually cried over my crushed expectations and how much I had to go through to get it!

Then I listened again. From that second listen until this day it is my all time favorite album!

I have also forgiven them for Goats Head Soup, which I thoroughly enjoy now. I guess the first dissapointment that remains that way is the aptly titled "It's Only Rock n Roll".

Ross

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-11 21:34 by Ross.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: August 11, 2009 22:27

It was Their Satanic majesties request... I bought Jimi's Axis bald as love instead. Years later I invested in Satanic with no 3d-cover...shame it is...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: stein ()
Date: August 11, 2009 22:31

Experiment years in the late 60s was difficult when you dont understand english. Satanic was one of them like Revolver by Beatles. But after some days of listning they became better and better.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1730
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home