Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: OT: DAVID BOWIE working on new material?
Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: August 11, 2009 01:16

buffalo7478
I saw him twice on the Reality tour. In an arena in Toronto and a 3,200 seat theatre in Buffalo. The Reality record was great (and I will get booed for this, but better than anything from the Stones in a long time - taken as a complete record). Live, he and his band smoked....played hits, rare tracks and were unafraid to play recent material and several songs off Reality. I wish the Stones would put out something they were confident enough in to play more than a couple of songs from per show.

Well, they say a black has da moves... I'll rest my case. =lol=

By the way, it's not fair. David was so drunk and nervous on that show. Don't blame him. hahaha

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 11, 2009 04:10

Nikolai
whitem8
Nikolai once again agree totally with you. I went to two Serious Moonlight shows at Joe Louis arena in Detroit and I was captivated. I was younger then too. Then Glass Spider at the Pontiac Silverdome, and giant nasty football stadium and Bowie was all infected by the cheese of the 80s. A few cool nuggets he rendered as smaltz. All the Madmen finally live!! But not great. Low on the guitar and high on the cheesy keys. Sad. I saw him four nights for the Sound and Vision tour. It was sublime! Just Adrian Belew, drums, bass and bowie. AMAZING! My favorite so far though was Reality in Singapore and I was lucky enough to chat with him....another story....

DO tell ...

The Sound & Vision tour is hugely underrated and atrociously documented. No DVD, no album. We have bootlegs galore, but still ... If he saw fit to release the Glass Spider atrocity, then why not Sound & Vision.

Nothing from Outside either. The American leg was spectacular. Nine Inch Nails supporting (I wasn't and still am not a fan of theirs at all, but the segue between their set and Bowie's is one of the most incredible things I've ever seen). The British leg was different, setlist wise, and also because of the support. Morrissey (who's released Southpaw Grammar - his last great album to date) refused to allow Bowie to duet with him. A real pity, given Moz's avowed debt to Bowie. Both the US and UK dates I saw had the same effect on the audience: bewilderment at the new material, belated recognition of reworked oldies, plenty of people drifting home 2/3rds of the way through moaning that he hadn't played any of his "classics" like China Girl and Let's Dance. Very funny, in a way, totally sad in another. That said, when I saw him in New Jersey, Outside hadn't even been released. Bowie actually got booed.

Ok, I will tell. It is a funny story. But first. I totally agree about the Sound and Vision tour! I can't beleive there isn't a DVD of it. He pulled out a lot of gems and claimed it would be the last time he would do them. In later interviews he said that was because he felt he lost his muse and was relying on the past too much. Hence his reboot with Black Tie, Outside, and Earthling. I loved the shows I saw from that tour. His voice was amazing. He was playing great guitar and sax. And of course Adrian Belew!!! Station to Station was tour de force on that tour!
Ok. I am a former Peace Corps volunteer in Sri Lanka and I travel there quite frequently. I was there on holiday with a friend in a very secluded jungle spot and we were sitting down to have breakfast in the hotel restaurant, and a guy walks by and says good morning, and I respond. So he says, "ahh a yank. Where you from?" I replied..."from Detroit." "AHHHHH the home of Iggy Pop! Great!" and he walks away. Well my mind is buzzing and i start babbling to my friend how amazing it is that he knows about Iggy Pop! I think he may be someone...and she is rolling her eyes at my boyish geek entusiasm. So later in the day I go for a swim and I notice the same guy swimming. So being the boy toy geek that I am, I swim up close to him and see the pool boy and start speaking Sinhalese (the local language, one of three). And my plan worked. The mystery man was very impressed and started talking with me. "Wow! You know the language! That is brilliant." So I start asking him about where he is from and he is a bit cagey. "London..." "what do you do?" "oh I am kind of in the entertainment field.." I KNEW IT! So I asked him how he liked Sri Lanka, and he says, "great, but would be better with some hash!" and we both started laughing and then I shocked him and said, "no worries I can help you out. Come by my room later." And he is stunned! So around six my friend and I are sitting on the veranda drinking a bottle of bubbly and he comes I see him leaving his room so I called out to him. He came by and I passed him a traveler's gift and he introduced himself as Geoff. And he was so excited! He wanted to buy us drinks at the bar, but I said no worrries, we are enjoying champagne why not join us here. So he does. Then we get down to brass taxes and I aske him if he has played with Iggy. He gets all quiet and says, "well a little...but actually more so with David Bowie." And I freak! And he sees that zealous fan gleam in my eyes and gets a bit nervous so I calm down and ask him his full name....Geoff MacCormak. I freak! YEAH I KNOW YOU! YOU ARE WARREN PEACE! YOU CO WROTE ROCK AND ROLL WITH ME! YOU PLAYED ON THE DIAMOND DOGS TOUR, THE PHILLY SOUL TOUR! He is stunned that I know all this. And we end up spending the rest of the night, more so him, telling stories and partying. So a year later, I am living in Singapore and Bowie announces his Reality tour. So I get my ticket right when they go on sale. Front row! And I email Geoff and ask him if he can get me back stage. I don't hear from him for a week and I think "oh no! I blew it! He is bumming on me." Then suddenly the next day my inbox has a reply from him..."shouldn't be a problem, email his tour director and tell here Cocco approved (Cocco is Bowie's long time personal assistant)." So I emailed the lady and bamb within a day I get a reply saying my backstage passes would be waiting for me at the ticket counter on the day of the show!
Now I am really having a hard time controling myself and just sick with nervous anticipation. I am telling my friends and I am sure most of them are thinking..."Yeah right. He is so full of shit!" So the day of the show I go down early a and hook up with a few friends, a couple and a guy on his own because his wife didn't want to go. I brought with me the DVD Bowie's Best and his new Reality CD with the bonus live disc of the entire CD live from a small club show. My friends there are kind of joshing with me asking where my passes were. So I go to the counter and of course the lady there doesn't know a thing about what I want. "You want ticket?" "No I HAVE TICKET! YOU SHOULD HAVE AN ENVELOPE WITH MY NAME ON IT!" "Oh you want ticket?" "NOOOOOOOOO!" This goes on for a while and I give up thinking oh well I guess it ain't going to happen. So then I see this nice older guard and I ask him if there is another main office, maybe the passes are there. He says no, but "why don't you just go down there to the side they are doing a sound check." WOW! So I walk down the ramp and low and behold you can hear the sound check. Some big burley bouncers stop me and ask what I want to I ask for the tour coordinator by name. They call her on the walkie talkie and she finally comes, a bit annoyed and peeved. WHo is this lowly fan and how does he know my name and what the hell does he want?! So I explain who I am and that my envelop isn't there. She gets on her walkie talkie and is very annoyed and asks another person where the envelope is? "It will be at the counter a half hour before the gates open!" Of course I am there two hours before the show!! So she, in a very firm tone, repeats what I just heard, and I try to make small talk..."oh thanks so much. Yeah I live in Singapore, sometimes they aren't organized here. Thanks for your help. Hey where are you from?" "LONDON!" and she abruptly turns and walks away.
So I go back to the counter and WOW THE ENVELOPE IS THERE! I have a letter saying..."David will be meeting you after the show. Please go to gate E at the end of the show and wait for Raymon. Show him your pass and he will bring you back, enjoy the show." And wow I am about ready to faint! I go back to my friends in a spastic excited voice I recount my little mini adventure. And I have one extra pass! So the guy who came without his wife gets to go back with me.
So the show is stellar! Front row, a lot of eye contact with Bowie. I go to the gate at the end of the show and Raymon is there and he takes us backstage to a room. And there are a few Singaporeans there as well. I was dissapointed by this, I had envisioned a private intimate chat with my hero, now I had to share him!! BLAHH! SO I ask these folks how they got backstage and they reply they had won a Sony contest and the prize was a Meet and Great. So then the tour manager comes in and she is still in full hard ass mode. "THERE WILL BE NO PICTURES TAKEN! IF YOU TRY YOU WILL BE REMOVED. YOU MAY HAVE ONE THING SIGNED BY DAVID. NO MORE!" While she is talking there is a Singaporean lady writing and the tour manager asks very firmly, "WHAT ARE YOU WRITING!?" "ahh I am a reporter." "NO! NO MORE WRITING AND NO RECORDING! IF I SEE THAT AGAIN YOUR OUT OF HERE!!!!" WOW! no games here.
Now you must remember, Singaporeans are often very reserved, shy, and very flat affect. So then suddenly David comes into the room and everyone is just kind of staring at him so I leap to my feet and start madly clapping and saying, "BRAVO! GREAT SHOW!! BRAVO!!!" And the Singaporeans all are looking at me and they all stand up and start clapping too! So David talks with the group for a while and people are lining up for him to sign stuff. AND HE IS SO FRIENDLY!! AND NICE! And was really interested in some of the stuff people had. He was particularly interested in a 12" single of This is Not America that a young Singaporean had. "WOW! This is nice. But it came out before you were even born!" FUNNY! SO I get up to him and I am petrified! This is one of my all time heroes! Next to him is a huge body guard, and I am a big guy, six foot four. And David is somewhat small and slight. So I introduce myself, "HI I am Matthew.." "OH YEAH! Matthew you are Geoff's friend from Sri Lanka!" MY GOD HE KNOWS WHO I AM!!!!!! I am stunned and so then I launch into this speech I had been rehearsing in my mind all night...." David I just want to thank you from my heart for all the joy your talent gave to me and my friends as we were struggling with our teen years, and now as adults you still are a beakon of joy. Thanks for you incredible music!" Then his big hard ass body guard leans over and pats me on the back and says.."awe that was quite sweet mate!" And a lot of laughs. So he signed my stuff for me, both! HA! And we chatted about Sri Lanka, and I told him if he is every in asia to look me up and I will give him a nice home cooked meal. He was very VERY NICE!! And that was it! He had to leave to get on the plane for the next day's gig in Japan. I walked out through the stage area and ran into Earl Slick and Gail Ann Dorsey (his bass player) and they also signed my Reality disc. What a great adventure and David Bowie is one CLASS ACT! A true gentleman!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-11 04:19 by whitem8.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: August 11, 2009 10:03

Incredible story. Thank you for sharing that, sir! you still in touch with MacCormack? Didn't he have a photo book out last year?

Date: August 11, 2009 11:04

DiamondDog7
buffalo7478
I saw him twice on the Reality tour. In an arena in Toronto and a 3,200 seat theatre in Buffalo. The Reality record was great (and I will get booed for this, but better than anything from the Stones in a long time - taken as a complete record). Live, he and his band smoked....played hits, rare tracks and were unafraid to play recent material and several songs off Reality. I wish the Stones would put out something they were confident enough in to play more than a couple of songs from per show.

Well, they say a black has da moves... I'll rest my case. =lol=

By the way, it's not fair. David was so drunk and nervous on that show. Don't blame him. hahaha

Mate, I'm sure you've seen the Young Americans 30th Anniversary reissue DVD. He danced badly there too, like a slightly rusty robot trying to git da funk. Hilarious. F-ing great album though.

Date: August 11, 2009 12:57

Nikolai
Incredible story. Thank you for sharing that, sir! you still in touch with MacCormack? Didn't he have a photo book out last year?

Thanks, I wrote it pretty quick so I apologize for the crummy grammar and spelling in places.
Yes I periodically send him an email..sometimes he replies. I did buy his book from Genesis, From Station to Station. It is beautiful!!!! you know about Bowie's phobia about traveling by plane so it chronicles the tours he did with Bowie, with stories and photos he took. Some of them are brilliant, and very fun stories. A good read and beautifully packages. BUT EXPENSIVE! I guess it is an investment. And I have a personal connection to the writer, so it is full of good memories as well.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: August 11, 2009 13:21

@ Whitem8

That was a "very sweet story mate"! Great!

Posted by: turd ()
Date: August 11, 2009 16:50

whitem8 - that is a brilliant story, I could feel your emotion waiting to meet DB, incredible. Knowing what to say to a big star like that without being overcome is amazing.
You are braver than me - I could have met Charlie Watts earlier in the year at one of his low key gigs, I didn't have the bottle. He was milling around people being ever so cool, calm and sophisticated - I was uncool, unsophisticated and drunk. I thought it better to stay away.

Well done - nice to read something good on here for a change instead of the usual, "Is Cliff Richard better than Mick Jagger used to be 15 years ago", sort of crap that normally gets posted here.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: August 11, 2009 19:16

Some old material in a new release coming soon...

The return of the Thin White Duke...

It is with much pleasure that we can exclusively reveal details of the upcoming four disc special edition of the Station To Station album, originally released on RCA in January 1976.

Due in the first half of 2010 (we've learnt our lesson about giving exact dates this far in advance) the package will contain the following...

Station To Station Special Edition

Disc 1
CD = Original stereo Station To Station album
Disc 2
DVD = 5.1 Station To Station surround sound mix and original stereo album. 5.1 - Mixed by Harry Maslin.
Discs 3 & 4
2 x CDs = Uniondale, Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum March 23rd, 1976 - Mixed by Harry Maslin.

Live Nassau 1976 tracklisting

01 - Station To Station
02 - Suffragette City
03 - Fame
04 - Word On A Wing
05 - Stay
06 - Waiting For The Man
07 - Queen Bitch
08 - Life On Mars?
09 - Five Years
10 - Panic In Detroit (with most of drum solo edited out)
11 - Changes (with band Intro)
12 - TVC 15
13 - Diamond Dogs
14 - Rebel Rebel
15 - The Jean Genie

I know Nassau '76 has always been a popular show among Bowie fans, coming fourth as it did in our Bowie bootleg poll of last year. (04.26.2008 NEWS: VOTE FOR YOUR FAVOURITE BOWIE BOOTLEG & 06.01.2008 NEWS: YOUR FAVOURITE BOWIE BOOTLEG POLL RESULTS)

The poll asked: "What other bootlegs would you like to see get the official treatment?". The Thin White Duke still came fourth even after I stipulated that it would be coming out anyway.

I guess what I'm trying to say in a roundabout way is that it's probably even more popular than our poll suggested. Either way, I for one can't wait to hear Harry's 5.1 mix of Station To Station and his mix of Live Nassau 1976.

Stay tuned for more details.

Total Blam Blam - (BowieNet News Editor)

source : [www.davidbowie.com]

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: August 11, 2009 19:27

This song is one of my favorite Bowie tracks, and I can't get it out of my head the last few days:

Date: August 12, 2009 00:02

I discovered Bowie in the early 70's. From Hunky Dory on I loved most of his stuff.
In the Ziggy days he was so huge in Britain. Pre-Punk Bowie was THE man!

I went to his 76 Düsseldorf gig. It was a good concert but somehow felt a bit sterile and distant to me.

Didn't like his "Berlin albums" (Low,etc.). Since the 80's it's up and down to me.
Some things I liked, some not.
I'm not a real fan, but he's still one of the great ones to me!

Date: August 12, 2009 03:09

Thanks turd (I love typing that!) for the nice comment. Appreciated. I had fun writing the story as well, because it helped me re-live the moment.

I am so excited about the Station to Station release! That is one of my favs from Bowie, and it really looks like they are pulling all stops on that one. I have a great DVD somewhere among all my crap of the rehearsals for that tour, great stuff!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 12, 2009 03:48

Fantastic story, Matthew. You had some good karma there.

Great news about the Station to Station reissue. That Nassau show is a killer.

Date: August 12, 2009 06:50

Thanks Gazza, strange to see my real name here in print!!
Yeah, Nassau is a killer show....the completist in me is a bit dissapointed they edited the drum solo, but I can understand, it is quite long...almost of Moby Dick proportions! But if they tret this like they did Santa Monica Live it will sound incredible!!
I do wish there was a DVD of his appearances on Dianna Shore's show where he does Stay, and then with Iggy and they do Funtime and Sister Midnight. I think Henry Winkler is on that show as a guest and he seems very enthusiastic to be meeting Bowie. Would also be cool if they released a cleaned up edited version of the reheral film. There is some great stuff on there, just watching how Bowie arranges the songs with the band and his back and forth with them is great stuff!

Date: August 12, 2009 09:16

Nikolai,
back to you post and your comments on the Outside.1 tour. I was so stoked when I go the disc and was incredibly shocked how Bowie, once again, reinvented himself and created some of the most beautifully challenging music of his career! Really, Outside.1 is an incredible achievement with some of his most moving and affecting music every. Through These Architect's Eyes, Strangers When We meet, Heart's Filthy Lesson, The Motel...are all just incredibly stunning masterpieces with a lot of intricate and layered melodies and themes. Even the cover was a fantastic and he painted it!
So I was very excited to see him for that tour, and got to see him in Virginia. I was not too familiar with Nine Inch Nails and Bowie hadn't toured (except with Tin Machine) since Sound and Vision, so I was very curious to see how he would pull it off and not do those songs that he promised he would never do again! AND HE DIDN'T!
I totally agree with the segue into his portion of the show and I could not believe he was doing Sense of Doubt! I was stunned and I was shocked by how all the young Nails fans were leaving!!! THEY didn't come to see Bowie! The place practially emptied out, which was something I was very shocked to see at a Bowie show. And he challenged the audience from every angle, from the stage, to his appearance, to the material and the re-working of his stuff. And pulling out incredible chestnuts like Teenage Wildlife! And My Death!!!!! Radically rearranged and rebooted. Amazing. I have a great boot from the US leg, Smiling Through This, and some from the European tour and I prefer the the US leg. More grit to it. And more spontaneous. ALthough I really like the version of Diamond Dogs he did on the Euro leg and Lust for Life!!!! One of my all time favorite periods for Bowie, and that says a lot when you compare that to his earlier stuff... Earthling carried forward the trend, but also was a bit different. And then boom, after reinventing himself he goes retro and releases Hours, which I love, but a lot of hard core fans dislike. I would have loved to see him on that tour, he started doing some of his older stuff again and pulled out some rarely performed gems, like Drive in Saturday, Word on a Wing, and Quicksand (saw that on the Reality tour and it was so beautiful seeing him strum the acoustic and sing that song with so much soul and passion).

Date: August 12, 2009 09:47

barbabang

It is with much pleasure that we can exclusively reveal details of the upcoming four disc special edition of the Station To Station album, originally released on RCA in January 1976.

Due in the first half of 2010 (we've learnt our lesson about giving exact dates this far in advance) the package will contain the following...

Disc 1
Disc 2
DVD = 5.1 Station To Station surround sound mix and original stereo album. 5.1 - Mixed by Harry Maslin.
Discs 3 & 4
2 x CDs = Uniondale, Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum March 23rd, 1976 - Mixed by Harry Maslin.

01 - Station To Station
02 - Suffragette City
03 - Fame
04 - Word On A Wing
05 - Stay
06 - Waiting For The Man
07 - Queen Bitch
08 - Life On Mars?
09 - Five Years
12 - TVC 15
13 - Diamond Dogs
14 - Rebel Rebel
15 - The Jean Genie

I know Nassau '76 has always been a popular show among Bowie fans, coming fourth as it did in our Bowie bootleg poll of last year. (04.26.2008 NEWS: VOTE FOR YOUR FAVOURITE BOWIE BOOTLEG & 06.01.2008 NEWS: YOUR FAVOURITE BOWIE BOOTLEG POLL RESULTS)

The poll asked: "What other bootlegs would you like to see get the official treatment?". The Thin White Duke still came fourth even after I stipulated that it would be coming out anyway.

I guess what I'm trying to say in a roundabout way is that it's probably even more popular than our poll suggested. Either way, I for one can't wait to hear Harry's 5.1 mix of Station To Station and his mix of Live Nassau 1976.

FINALLY! This is what I was talking about earlier. Looks like EMI are putting out as much as possible before the contract expires. The remastering is said to be superb, and thank God they've edited out the drum solo. That was the only bad part of the concert.

Thanks for posting this.

Now, I wonder, will we get the Low and Heroes box ....?

Date: August 12, 2009 09:53

whitem8
Nikolai,
back to you post and your comments on the Outside.1 tour. I was so stoked when I go the disc and was incredibly shocked how Bowie, once again, reinvented himself and created some of the most beautifully challenging music of his career! Really, Outside.1 is an incredible achievement with some of his most moving and affecting music every. Through These Architect's Eyes, Strangers When We meet, Heart's Filthy Lesson, The Motel...are all just incredibly stunning masterpieces with a lot of intricate and layered melodies and themes. Even the cover was a fantastic and he painted it!
So I was very excited to see him for that tour, and got to see him in Virginia. I was not too familiar with Nine Inch Nails and Bowie hadn't toured (except with Tin Machine) since Sound and Vision, so I was very curious to see how he would pull it off and not do those songs that he promised he would never do again! AND HE DIDN'T!
I totally agree with the segue into his portion of the show and I could not believe he was doing Sense of Doubt! I was stunned and I was shocked by how all the young Nails fans were leaving!!! THEY didn't come to see Bowie! The place practially emptied out, which was something I was very shocked to see at a Bowie show. And he challenged the audience from every angle, from the stage, to his appearance, to the material and the re-working of his stuff. And pulling out incredible chestnuts like Teenage Wildlife! And My Death!!!!! Radically rearranged and rebooted. Amazing. I have a great boot from the US leg, Smiling Through This, and some from the European tour and I prefer the the US leg. More grit to it. And more spontaneous. ALthough I really like the version of Diamond Dogs he did on the Euro leg and Lust for Life!!!! One of my all time favorite periods for Bowie, and that says a lot when you compare that to his earlier stuff... Earthling carried forward the trend, but also was a bit different. And then boom, after reinventing himself he goes retro and releases Hours, which I love, but a lot of hard core fans dislike. I would have loved to see him on that tour, he started doing some of his older stuff again and pulled out some rarely performed gems, like Drive in Saturday, Word on a Wing, and Quicksand (saw that on the Reality tour and it was so beautiful seeing him strum the acoustic and sing that song with so much soul and passion).

Like you, I prefer the American leg of Outside, and for the same reasons. I saw one of the Meadowlands gigs and two at Wembley Arena a few months later. Meadowlands was mind-blowing. Wembley was tame - although he started with The Motel, singing offstage until the "me exploding you" line, when he walked out from behind the drum riser. THAT was magical.

Date: August 12, 2009 14:20

CousinC
I discovered Bowie in the early 70's. From Hunky Dory on I loved most of his stuff.
In the Ziggy days he was so huge in Britain. Pre-Punk Bowie was THE man!

I went to his 76 Düsseldorf gig. It was a good concert but somehow felt a bit sterile and distant to me.

Didn't like his "Berlin albums" (Low,etc.). Since the 80's it's up and down to me.
Some things I liked, some not.
I'm not a real fan, but he's still one of the great ones to me!

Bowie throughout the 70's and up to the early 80's could do no wrong to my ears. What a great run of albums. Scary Monsters and Station to Station are my two fave albums, with Lodger being the most underrated. Teenage Wildlife is my favourite Bowie song and Robert Fripp's playing on the'Scary Monsters' album is just off the scale. Admire him for not resting on his laurels and for remaining creative since then, even though the results have been patchy. This thread persuaded me to dig out 'Reality' again for a fresh spin. It's better than I remembered it...and he does a great cover of 'Waterloo Sunset' whichw as on one of the CD singles from around then which deserves to be better known.

Date: August 12, 2009 14:44

Gazza
Bowie throughout the 70's and up to the early 80's could do no wrong to my ears. What a great run of albums. Scary Monsters and Station to Station are my two fave albums, with Lodger being the most underrated. Teenage Wildlife is my favourite Bowie song and Robert Fripp's playing on the'Scary Monsters' album is just off the scale. Admire him for not resting on his laurels and for remaining creative since then, even though the results have been patchy. This thread persuaded me to dig out 'Reality' again for a fresh spin. It's better than I remembered it...and he does a great cover of 'Waterloo Sunset' whichw as on one of the CD singles from around then which deserves to be better known.

Apart from the earlier Ziggy phase albums Station to Station is my all time favourite! Great to hear about this new release! I will look out for it!
I have so many memories related to that album and song!

But I have to admit I never really got into those Low/ Lodger albums. To be honest I never listened to them again since their release. Perhaps I should try again . .

Date: August 12, 2009 15:15

Well, Lodger isnt anything like Heroes or Low, musically.

can understand totally why people dont get the 'dark' instrumentals on those two albums (some work, some dont), but when you listen to the more 'conventional' songs on there, there's some terrific stuff.

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: August 12, 2009 15:25

thanks for sharing your story, Matthew - great stuff

Date: August 13, 2009 06:37

Nikolai
barbabang

Disc 1
Disc 2
Discs 3 & 4

01 - Station To Station
02 - Suffragette City
03 - Fame
04 - Word On A Wing
05 - Stay
06 - Waiting For The Man
07 - Queen Bitch
08 - Life On Mars?
09 - Five Years
12 - TVC 15
13 - Diamond Dogs
14 - Rebel Rebel
15 - The Jean Genie

FINALLY! This is what I was talking about earlier. Looks like EMI are putting out as much as possible before the contract expires. The remastering is said to be superb, and thank God they've edited out the drum solo. That was the only bad part of the concert.

Thanks for posting this.

Now, I wonder, will we get the Low and Heroes box ....?

i wish they would do a few variations of this as i don't need 5.1 surround sound mixes

Date: August 13, 2009 06:46

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the world needs Bowie.

Bowie probably doensn't need the world but we need him much like we needed ACDC.

Its just emptier without Bowie putting out music and touring. There's a void.. But I don't know that he'll do it ever again.. He had a heart attack and I guess he just wants to take care of his body and not over exert it.. I can't say I blame him but its a real shame.

Still he gave us so much..as has been mentioned he owned the 70s.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: August 13, 2009 07:07

Word On A Wing......one of the most beautiful recordings ever.

Date: August 13, 2009 07:18

so will this new space oddity and station to station be limited edition? it seems the other sets were limited edition. ziggy stardust, aladdin sane and diamond dogs had special editions and all seem out of print now after a few years except maybe as an import

Date: August 13, 2009 08:23

Not sure, probably if they are modeled after the other ones. The Ziggy is stunning! As is the Alaadin Sane. Diamond Dogs was a big dissapointment and should have been much better. Even the packaging was at a much lower standard. Not in the hard cardboard book style as the other releases. Young Americans as well, packaging a bit dissapointing, but the sound stellar!

Date: August 13, 2009 09:08

whitem8
Not sure, probably if they are modeled after the other ones. The Ziggy is stunning! As is the Alaadin Sane. Diamond Dogs was a big dissapointment and should have been much better. Even the packaging was at a much lower standard. Not in the hard cardboard book style as the other releases. Young Americans as well, packaging a bit dissapointing, but the sound stellar!

how were diamond dogs and young americans packaged? my young americans is an import and was in a regular 2 disc jewel case

Date: August 13, 2009 10:05

keefriffhard4life
whitem8

how were diamond dogs and young americans packaged? my young americans is an import and was in a regular 2 disc jewel case

The UK version of Diamond Dogs was quite lavish: cardboard slipcase containing a mini lp sleeve (with the dogs's bollocks unairbrushed), a booklet with a David Buckley essay and session photos. Really really nice.

Young Americans, by contrast was disappointing - standard plastic jewel case with a sticker on it ... This was because the guy who was in charge of marketing Bowie's back catalogue at EMI got fired by the new bosses.

Station to Station is meant to be a box set, like the Santa Monica CD. It's got a lyric booklet, mini lp sleeves (the original black and white cover as opposed to the colourised version used in the Ryko and 1999 reissues, the original Thin White Duke bootleg artwork) and a mini poster.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-13 10:12 by Nikolai.

Date: August 13, 2009 10:07

stoned in washington dc
I've said it before and I'll say it again: the world needs Bowie.

Bowie probably doensn't need the world but we need him much like we needed ACDC.

Its just emptier without Bowie putting out music and touring. There's a void.. But I don't know that he'll do it ever again.. He had a heart attack and I guess he just wants to take care of his body and not over exert it.. I can't say I blame him but its a real shame.

Still he gave us so much..as has been mentioned he owned the 70s.

I think the other reason he's withdrawn from public life is to watch his daughter grow up and look after her, probably to make up for the time he didn't spend with his son (although the two are - and always were - very close). I can imagine a brush with death would make anyone reassess their lives and priorities.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-13 10:08 by Nikolai.

Date: August 13, 2009 10:10

whitem8

I thought the DVD Audio of Young Americans left a lot to be desired. Especially compared to Stage and David Live (I sought out the DVD Audio versions after reading raves about both on here - probably written by you, Whitey; you got me listening to Reality again ... whatever next: Never Let Me Down (actually, I don't think it's as bad as Tonight))?), and things like The Doors back catalogue and the recent Nick Cave reissues.

Date: August 13, 2009 10:22

so it seems young americans was always just a standard 2 disc jewel case. i hate these mini lp sleeve things though. the station to station set doesn't do it for me because there are no bonus studio tracks like on young americans and i don't need a dvd audio because i don't have an elaborate sound system. i wish they would just release the concert seperate

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1968
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home