Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Best Live Tumblin Dice Recording Out There
Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: August 5, 2009 02:06

Tumblin Dice is such a live highlight...its been played differently on many tours, I've become a Dice arqueologist... always searching for the best version. Wanted to know what the board suggests. I think the 81' version has such a good tempo but shitty recordings out there. The 76' too slow but awesome. I know I am gonna get a lot of Brussels and 72s. I am gonna go with Miami 94'

Now lets have them.

Re: Best Live Tumblin Dice Recording Out There
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: August 5, 2009 02:31

Easy. The 1978 version on 'Handsome Girls' (its from either Detroit or Houston, cant recall which) where they do a very long intro after Keith has lost his pick.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: August 5, 2009 02:31

I love the studio version so much that I suppose i should like the 89 and forward versions the best but after 72(where it seemed to drag a bit) I thought they DID nail it on the 73 European tour but thats just my opinion!

Posted by: otonneau ()
Date: August 5, 2009 02:41

I like the 78 version but I miss the horns. Brussels for me is untouchable: the end climax is just amazing, with great interaction between Mick and Charlie.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: August 5, 2009 02:54

Hope CC doesn't read this...but my favourite version is Brussels 1973. (Make sure you get the "Nasty Music/Nasty Remixes/A Tour De Force"-mix.......the "Europe 73"-mix doesn't favour Taylor on this track......one can't hear the brilliant licks he does near the very end.....it gives the song another dimension
The version Gazza mentions....that's Detroit 1978 - and it's absolutely fantastic I agree. "Tumbling Dice" even sounded great on the poor 1976 tour....I think it's one of the songs that got the band "grooving" - and it's a far better choice than "you got me rocking" of the last 15 years.

....then again; the studio version is among my biggest favourites as well - it's maybe the best ever Rolling Stones song

Date: August 5, 2009 03:02

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: August 5, 2009 03:06

In general I would say the TOTA and '78 ones are my faves. The groove on those is just unbeatable
If I have to name specific versions I guess something like Ft Collins, Atlanta, or Milwaukee - all '75
Although Cleveland '78 usually gets trashed around here, I must say that I find that particular version of TD to be an absolute killer performance
Orlando '81 #1 is also worth raving about

Date: August 5, 2009 03:11

Sohoe
In general I would say the TOTA and '78 ones are my faves. The groove on those is just unbeatable

The last Chicago show of 1975 would be my favourite, after Brussels 1973.....you know it's going the right way when Jagger does the "everybody needs somebody to love"-lyrics near the end... like in Chicago 07/24/75 - I think he does it without really knowing, at that show

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-05 03:15 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: August 5, 2009 03:13

72 version is best for me, followed by the 75 version

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: August 5, 2009 03:15

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: August 5, 2009 03:24

Tumblin' Dice is such a f-ing great song - I can't say which rendition is the best.
OMG, what a timeless riff.

(it's a good test for new singers!ha!)

Date: August 5, 2009 03:25

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: August 5, 2009 03:32

Definently something off the VL Tour. The New Jersey version posted by Loudei is indeed great, but this one from Chile 1995 is a humdinger. It's one of my fave versions ever. Check out Keef's rythm during the beginning of Woody's awesome solo. That alone makes me never think about the KR/MT guitar team. Nothing beats that. Ever. PERIOD!!!!!!

I love the single version also (With the Chuck L piano/hand-clap etc. intro. Ron's solo in that one makes my head spin.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: August 5, 2009 03:37

Loudei

That's the "Masty Music"-mix - you can hear the thrilling notes of Taylor at 4:24-4:25....which you can't hear on the "Europe 73"-mix. Just like SFM on GYYYO....Taylor only need a single single second to give the listener a cold fever......quite unbelievable......of course it wouldn't work without Keith Richards.....giving the song sssoul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-05 03:47 by Erik_Snow.

Date: August 5, 2009 03:39

I can not see the video

Date: August 5, 2009 03:44

Loudei
I can not see the video

Then press the middle of the YouTube screen where it says "Watch On YouTube". The uploader have disabled embedding of the video.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: August 5, 2009 03:46

Good call, Kent.

Loudei's link - was just a bit tooooooo much tampered with, dang it!
how can Mick grow his hair in a split second?

...and, Rollin Stoner's clp is right on on _ because ya can't hardly hear Mick.T.

t's all Keith - yeah!

Date: August 5, 2009 03:50

Can't see the chile video.

Date: August 5, 2009 03:56

Maybe check youtube then. Search for "rolling stones tumbling dice chile 1995".

JumpingKentFlash

Date: August 5, 2009 03:59

open-g
Good call, Kent.

Loudei's link - was just a bit tooooooo much tampered with, dang it!
how can Mick grow his hair in a split second?

...and, Rollin Stoner's clp is right on on _ because ya can't hardly hear Mick.T.

t's all Keith - yeah!

I think Taylor did some fantastic stuff at just about every song he ever did, with the Rolling Stones - and especially "Tumbling Dice".... of course Richards, Watts and Wyman makes the pulse....but Taylor made the sparks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-08-05 20:48 by Erik_Snow.

Date: August 5, 2009 04:17

Erik, the ever first Stones bootleg I listend to was " The Stars In The Sky They Never Lie"..... and that got me hooked for ever - even though it sounds quite shitty - no one would care. Danke Schön!

..also, I had seen & heard it live. and then there where the gals of course......

Date: August 5, 2009 04:28

I found this one.... I like it a lot... Darryl Jones is actually grooving...

Date: August 5, 2009 04:55

Loudei, No need to to find the bestest version - there are so many....you know...
cheers!

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: August 5, 2009 04:58

Can any of you point out a terrible version of Tumbling Dice? It's a perennial classic, like Honky Tonk Women.

Date: August 5, 2009 05:18

open-g
No need to to find the bestest version - there are so many....you know...
cheers!

it has been working on every tour....never meant to disagree with you, above - just wanted to applaude those magnificent riffs from Taylor in 72/73

Date: August 5, 2009 05:27

bassplayer617
Can any of you point out a terrible version of Tumbling Dice? It's a perennial classic, like Honky Tonk Women.

There is none. there were none!

Now learn how to fly!
...and tell us later how it went.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: August 5, 2009 05:44

For my money the Brussels TD is the band's greatest recorded moment on stage. Silly statement, but you get the point. The song ends like a symphony. I know exactly what notes ES is talking about. Hearing those notes is your litmus test for the mix of the recording you are listening to. If you can't clearly hear them, move on to another one.

I suspect that Taylor decided to play those notes the moment before he started,if he even thought about at all. It's effortless. They just flow off his fingers.

Date: August 5, 2009 05:46

So many great versions, but I have to say Ken'ts version from Chile is incredible. The lights and the crowd alone.

Date: August 5, 2009 05:50

Hey Bassplayer617, didn't meant to be cruel - but IMHO a great song remains a great song, no mattter how far you take it.
When Keiths's in it - that's the Max - he's always so into it! gotta love it!

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: August 5, 2009 05:55

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2154
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home