Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Bridges To Babylon tour stage : the most brilliant ever.
Posted by: homerus ()
Date: July 30, 2009 14:51

From 90's when the stones made 5 world tours i think that the stage of Babylon Tour is the best and most genius.
In my opinion the "highlight" was the intro,the design of the huge stage with the curtains which covered the left and right side of stage in the first half of the show and the idea of the bridge which connected main stage with the center stage.
Except i think that the group have never play better live than the BTB tour.

Re: Bridges To Babylon tour stage : the most brilliant ever.
Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: July 30, 2009 15:01

You're right ,the following site :
[www.stufish.com]
is very interesting by showing the concept and design illustration.

But I was very very impressed by the Voodoo Lounge stage ,especially the high of the cobra .

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: July 30, 2009 15:03

The group played BEST in 1969 - all the big stages and shit from 1981 (Still Life) on are just circus distractions...... THE MUSIC was king in 1969....

Posted by: glencar ()
Date: July 30, 2009 15:08

Mick sings better today.

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: July 30, 2009 16:19

I prefer all other stages. This one has less rock`n roll and too much vaude-ville -style (IMO). Perhaps others have better explanations. But all in all fantastic shows.

Posted by: BBrew ()
Date: July 30, 2009 16:36

I also think it's a great stage

Posted by: UGot2Rollme ()
Date: July 30, 2009 16:48

nothing beats the Bigger Bang experience (including U2 360)

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: July 30, 2009 16:59

HelterSkelter
The group played BEST in 1969 - all the big stages and shit from 1981 (Still Life) on are just circus distractions...... THE MUSIC was king in 1969....

I was about answering to that quote when I read again Homerus's post.
Shame on me ,I focused on the stage photos he posted and missed the following
homerus
.Except i think that the group have never play better live than the BTB tour.

Well ,I ain't a musician but I definitely don't agree with you ,homerus.
I don't know if they play best in 1969 or 1971 ..remember the horrible performance at the Marquee -BTW I'm sure to be the only one to like it even if they screwed up most of the numbers .....-

1969/1973 :wild and rough shows.I would like to be powerful enough to get back on the past ...Only the Stones and the music.No Chuck ,no Lisa ,(sorry )just Keith & Mick sharing the same mike .Don't mind if they not always sang well...

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-30 17:00 by SwayStones.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: July 30, 2009 17:27

glencar
Mick sings better today.

Maybe his voice is more trained now.
But imo his singing/voice was way better in 60's/ early 70's!

And yeah, BtB was a great stage/ opening!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-30 17:28 by CousinC.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 30, 2009 17:29

HelterSkelter

amen

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 30, 2009 17:32

It is my favourite stage of all of their stages and so far of all stages period (I liked Zoo TV as well, the big one anyway). And The Bridge is THE coolest stage...thing... of ANY stage ever.

As far as their performance goes, all I have to go from are the live radio show which is what the DVD is, of course, and the live album. They sounded fantastic. Better than Voodoo, better than SW/UJ and way better than Bang. Licks is the only contender for how good they've sounded live. And both of those are, for me, being compared to various live things I've heard from 69-73. That's where I put Bridges and Licks in place as far as how good this 'Vegas' era of the Stones sounds live.

Date: July 30, 2009 17:39

skipstone
It is my favourite stage of all of their stages and so far of all stages period (I liked Zoo TV as well, the big one anyway). And The Bridge is THE coolest stage...thing... of ANY stage ever.

As far as their performance goes, all I have to go from are the live radio show which is what the DVD is, of course, and the live album. They sounded fantastic. Better than Voodoo, better than SW/UJ and way better than Bang. Licks is the only contender for how good they've sounded live. And both of those are, for me, being compared to various live things I've heard from 69-73. That's where I put Bridges and Licks in place as far as how good this 'Vegas' era of the Stones sounds live.

amen

Date: July 30, 2009 17:42

<Licks is the only contender for how good they've sounded live.>

Judging from the show I saw on that tour (Stockholm Stadium) and the DVDs/Live album/Boots I have, this is the worst tour of the stones, imo.

BUT: It was by far the best concept, with club/theatre/stadium concerts.

Posted by: bax ()
Date: July 30, 2009 17:46

I agree homerus...great playing and best stage...

Satisfaction as opener just sounded fantastic...
(much much better than the ABB version, in my opinion)

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: July 30, 2009 18:41

yep..best Stones stage concept ever.

Cant say I'd agree that the band never played better than they did on that tour. Ronnie was AWOL for most of it and Keith was carrying him. Probably Keith's last genuinely GREAT tour and a consistently high standard of shows throughout.

The b-stage thing was great - this was the first tour where it was widely used. Only drawback was the long delay in getting them out to the middle of the stadium while everyone waited for the bloody thing to start!

The whole b-stage concept is played out now, though. Time to drop it, especially now they're almost exclusively using it for warhorses.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-30 18:43 by Gazza.

Date: July 30, 2009 19:13

Gazza

Cant say I'd agree that the band never played better than they did on that tour. Ronnie was AWOL for most of it and Keith was carrying him. Probably Keith's last genuinely GREAT tour and a consistently high standard of shows throughout.

The b-stage thing was great - this was the first tour where it was widely used. Only drawback was the long delay in getting them out to the middle of the stadium while everyone waited for the bloody thing to start!

The whole b-stage concept is played out now, though. Time to drop it, especially now they're almost exclusively using it for warhorses.

amen

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 30, 2009 19:27

I can only go by whatever live CD/DVD releases since I did not see them live. It's strictly that and that only. I know that's not much but I doubt that DVD had any overdubs and if it did I sure as hell couldn't tell having listened to the recording of the radio broadcast of that show so much.

I do agree about the B-stage though. Although I still love the idea of them playing on a tongue stage like they did for the Supe. That was GENIUS. Hell, if anything, they could make a giant tongue and lips and have the stage be the tongue...just play IN the mouth of the logo for the stage, the teeth and gleams could be lights, etc.... Perhaps a giant giant giant inflatable or however it could be built but that is the way to go if they are to tour one more (last?) time.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: July 31, 2009 06:10

A theatre or club stage would look best to me right now.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: July 31, 2009 06:53

Can't beat a theatre or club stage, for my time and money. They are by far the best because they take the band back to the music.

As for the b stage, I think the ABB tour did a great job of addressing that. I'm not a big fan of the four of them trotting out on a catwalk for three minutes. The moving stage of ABB reminded me of the flatbed truck they used in 1975 in NYC. Too much theatre in the B2B stage, at least for me.

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: July 31, 2009 07:02

The flatbed truck: Now that's a stage!

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: July 31, 2009 08:04

Gazza

The way I see it is that the b-stage is used to bring them closer to the audience. What they play there is not that important really. It's been used for rare stuff and it's been used for warhorses. Why is one better than the other?

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: July 31, 2009 09:30

Gazza

No, sorry. You really had to see the unfolding lotus stage from 1975.
Sorry if some of you were too young or it never came to your town,
but you had to see it to believe it. It was just incredible theater.
THe photos and video from LA don't do it justice.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 31, 2009 09:45

Well, I guess the stage at Richmond Station Hotel must have the most exciting ever - at least to the band (not that I was there to witness it!). Actually, I still would prefer it...

- Doxa

Posted by: austrianstones ()
Date: July 31, 2009 10:22

i like this one, and the next five also........winking smiley

Date: July 31, 2009 14:43

JumpingKentFlash
Gazza

The way I see it is that the b-stage is used to bring them closer to the audience. What they play there is not that important really. It's been used for rare stuff and it's been used for warhorses. Why is one better than the other?

You're actually sort of emphasising the point I was making, Kent. When the Stones are playing ten feet in front of them, an audience should be able to get excited even if they were playing "Ba Ba Black Sheep" on accordions with Charlie riding around the stage on a unicycle.

The fact that they NOW feel the need to plod through a few warhorses to get a crowd worked up at what is already the most guaranteed crowd-pleasing part of a show anyway is a bit of a waste.

Its become just another excuse to fill the show up with more and more warhorses when they could have created the same degree of intensity and excitement in the audience by playing something else. Start Me Up and HTW will get a big audience reaction when they play it on the main stage anyway. Other songs less so - thats the sort of stuff that will work best on a b-stage in terms of pacing a show.

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: July 31, 2009 15:02

Gazza,

I think this has less to do with the use of the b stage, per se, and more to do with when in the concert they use the b stage and where they're at in the playlist. What I mean to say is that the b stage gets used just as the band is about to take a run down war horse alley--the home stretch of the setlist.

These two things happen to coincide, but it's not so much a b stage thing as it's related to when the b stage is used in the show. I've heard Starf**ker, Lil Red Rooster, Respectable, Rough Justice and Mannish Boy from the b stage, as well as an assortment of war horses and war ponies (eg. 19th Nervous Breakdown, Like a Rolling Stone). I think you have an argument about the tendency to rely on war horses, particularly in the last third of a show but I don't see it as a b-stage issue, exactly.

Posted by: jjflash73 ()
Date: July 31, 2009 16:37

Actually thi sis my least favorite stage from all tours.
Indoors '81 & '99 were cool, SW and VL outdoors with SW being th ebest outdoors stage IMHO

Date: July 31, 2009 18:00

tomk
Gazza

No, sorry. You really had to see the unfolding lotus stage from 1975.
Sorry if some of you were too young or it never came to your town,
but you had to see it to believe it. It was just incredible theater.
THe photos and video from LA don't do it justice.

Good point, Tom

Date: July 31, 2009 18:03

camper88
Gazza,

I think this has less to do with the use of the b stage, per se, and more to do with when in the concert they use the b stage and where they're at in the playlist. What I mean to say is that the b stage gets used just as the band is about to take a run down war horse alley--the home stretch of the setlist.

These two things happen to coincide, but it's not so much a b stage thing as it's related to when the b stage is used in the show. I've heard Starf**ker, Lil Red Rooster, Respectable, Rough Justice and Mannish Boy from the b stage, as well as an assortment of war horses and war ponies (eg. 19th Nervous Breakdown, Like a Rolling Stone). I think you have an argument about the tendency to rely on war horses, particularly in the last third of a show but I don't see it as a b-stage issue, exactly.

It was actually used earlier in the show on the last tour than it was on the Licks tour, when it really was very close to the end of the show (especially on the arena shows if I remember right). Yet they still managed to play some real gems on it. Similarly, on the BTB tour it was used in the middle of the show.

It was only on the ABB tour when it became an excuse to prolong the warhorses segment.

Posted by: GimmieChris ()
Date: July 31, 2009 23:49

smileys with beer
austrianstones
i like this one, and the next five also........winking smiley

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1759
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home