Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
What live version of Midnight Rambler is better? Ya-Ya's,Brussels Affair or 1972 NYC?
Posted by: GimmieChris ()
Date: July 26, 2009 20:21

There is a lot of other great live versions of this classic what do you think is better?

Re: What live version of Midnight Rambler is better? Ya-Ya's,Brussels Affair or 1972 NYC?
Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: July 26, 2009 20:31

Brussels by a golden mile!

Re: What live version of Midnight Rambler is better? Ya-Ya's,Brussels Affair or 1972 NYC?
Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: July 26, 2009 20:37

Love all of em but if I am forced to pick I have to go with the grandaddy YA YAs version.

Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: July 26, 2009 20:37

Ya-Ya's is the definitive version for me.

Brussels version is also one of the greatest versions though.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 26, 2009 20:42

We had this one on here not so long ago. And the winner is....Brussels...by a Moonlit Mile. It's mean, nasty and Taylor is as hot as Naga Chilli. Smoking.

Posted by: milio77 ()
Date: July 26, 2009 21:15

Yep, Brussels also does it for me.

Saitama 2006 makes a good second position.

One with Mick Taylor, one with Ronnie. Both great.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: July 26, 2009 21:49

BrĂ¼ssel is great.

But in the end to me it's always that fantastic YaYa's version!
BrĂ¼ssel has great moments but YaYa's Rambler is just right and to the point!

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: July 26, 2009 22:12

Brussels - the best piece of music ever recorded, in my opinion.

Posted by: Rory Gallagher ()
Date: July 26, 2009 22:15

Personally, I love the Leeds 71 one, with the fantastic Mick Taylor's solo. But between Brussels 73 and NYC 72, I chose Brussels.

Posted by: BBrew ()
Date: July 28, 2009 12:36

Brussels Afair definitely - I'm listening it right now and it always surprises me on how it's great!!

Posted by: bigmac7895 ()
Date: July 28, 2009 12:44

Brussels... but I like the Leeds 71 version as well. Once Taylor felt more comfortable, he made this song come alive.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: July 28, 2009 12:59

Tokyo Feb 24, 1990.
Active collaboration between Keith and Bill was beyond description.
I yelled out "Kakkoei!" at the break.
It was better than Saitama 2006 in my opinion.

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: July 28, 2009 15:32

Brussels is great but my vote goes for Ft. Worth 6/24/72 2nd show.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: July 28, 2009 16:54

For me, Brussels.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: July 28, 2009 16:57

There are absolute great versions,but my alltime favourite is Brussels.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 28, 2009 17:04

The Brussels rendition is the absolute daddy of all live performances of Midnight Rambler. The recording is dripping with adrenalin and raw energy. Keith sounds absolutely possessed and Taylor, Jagger, Wyman and Watts all excel. You could in fact claim it to be the very greatest live recording from the 'Greatest Rock 'n Roll Band In The World'

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: July 28, 2009 17:23

like picking a favorite child...in front of whole family at Christmas dinner.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: jjflash73 ()
Date: July 28, 2009 17:37

Never heard a bad one............

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: July 28, 2009 18:22

Where and when was the live version of Midnight Rambler on Hot Rocks recorded?

Posted by: Rory Gallagher ()
Date: July 28, 2009 18:36

Father Ted
Where and when was the live version of Midnight Rambler on Hot Rocks recorded?
It's the Get Yer Ya Ya's Out version.

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: July 28, 2009 19:07

I'll go with Ya Ya's, even though I think the middle part of Brussels is as good as music gets...

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: July 28, 2009 19:12

For me the definitive version is Ya-Ya's. Musically, it's sexy with the slower tempo that fits with the stealthy nature of the images. I feel the same way about the '69 version of JJF. There is something thrilling about unfolding that song on an unsuspecting audience as well. I saw the third performance of that song on that tour and it was unforgettable. The finale was, well, thrilling even without the juiced up tempo. I don't think the band was ever sexier, musically and otherwise, than on that tour.

The Brussels version is another beast all together. It's ferocious. I admire it, but it does not hit me the same way. In retrospect, I think we are listening to the disintegration of the band. After that tour where do you go? The answer was onward and downward.

When I first heard Brussels, some 10 years ago or so, I was a Stones boot novice. I thought I was listening to guitars in conflict. It took me a couple of weeks to get through that recording and get used to it. The quality of the recording and the nature of the performances stunned me. But I am not sure my initial impression was wrong.

Around the same time I heard a recording of that 11/8/69, 2nd show, the one I attended. Boy! Was THAT a thrill after so many years!

Posted by: Andithurts ()
Date: July 30, 2009 14:43

1. Brussels 1973
2. Ya-Ya
3. Paris, Olympia, 1995

Posted by: lunar!!! ()
Date: July 31, 2009 04:16

la$ vega$ 4-16-99 version rules the universe....woof woof!!! belch...oops sorry... burp

STONES JAM!! MICKEYS RULES!!! (burp) NADER IN 2016!!!!! GO GIANTS!!

Posted by: slew ()
Date: July 31, 2009 04:22

Brussells for me - Ya-Ya's a very close second

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: July 31, 2009 05:51

ya yas, i like the shorter versions more than the drawn out versions but they are all great

Posted by: Ringo ()
Date: July 31, 2009 11:05

Brussels Affair. But Leeds 1971 is also great.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: July 31, 2009 11:09

brussels/ya ya's both brilliant.
Brussels faultless - very slick, but Ya Ya's has that raw rock that can never be beaten.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 18, 2009 15:30

Ok, I held off seeing the thread has kind of morphed into a more global discussion of Midnight Rambler. So I will add my opine as well...thank e.
Ok, I pulled a few bongers and slipped on Four Flicks Live and have a pretty kick ass system. A BOSE surround sound in a nice designed room. And I cranked and saw the light. Wow! Not the best, I hate choosing the best of anything, because the mood changes, like life does. So they are all precious treasures to me. And I danced around my room with it cranked and just thought. WOW! How lucky we are they are still kicking out some amazing music. Really going out there with it being so tight and showing everyone why they are the real deal. STILL. Old and in love with all their babies. ANd still getting a buzz out of sharing it with us freaks. Ha! GREAT!
Mick and Keith are in total synchronicity. Mick's harp is so clear and tuned in with Keiths howling riffs. Keif RIFF HARD! He just vamps and he deserves too! He still feels it and bends those opening notes hard and long. Ronnie then pulls in from behind after the steam train has picked up speed and lays some real solid riffs in as well. Simply stunning! AND LONG!

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: August 18, 2009 18:41

NYC 1972 sucks. They're toured out & it's one of the worst sounding MRs from the tour, esp. the 26th.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1683
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home