Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Keith's voice on Toronto sessions 1977
Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 24, 2009 15:47

On the Toronto sessions Keith's voice seems unusually high. Does anyone know if this is a result of the original tapes running too fast or did Keith acquire an unusual high pitched twang while waiting to be sentenced.

Also, I believe these were the first solo recordings by Keith? Does anyone know differently? Did he lay down any solo tracks when working on Ronnie's I've Got My Own Album To Do? I know at this time he was in the studio a lot and was going to produce The Only Ones Peter Perrett.

Re: Keith's voice on Toronto sessions 1977
Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: July 24, 2009 15:56

well, he sang lead on "Sure The One You Need" And I thought "Get Together"(??!) but Ron sings it on the Kilburn Concert so I'm not sure. But on the Toronto stuff I agree some boots have it at an incorrect pitch it seems. I dont know if you can count it as a "recording" but he did do the "Dandelion "demo!

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: July 24, 2009 16:04

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-18 21:19 by UrbanSteel.

Date: July 24, 2009 16:07

NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT!!

Date: July 24, 2009 16:38

X

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: July 24, 2009 16:46

UrbanSteel

Time can destroy your face ,

but coke can destroy your voice ( and sometimes your live )

Watch this video from Mick Jagger in Japan , pay attention to his voice , very low , and pay attention to his performance , he is all the time trying to slow down , he almost does not move , and watch him to climb the stair at the end from the walk to the stage .

i know i've been there , too much ....

The 1st time I saw this video ,I almost felt off my chair ! Couldn't remember having seen Jagger in this state ....for many long years.
He almost can't sing -thanks to the chorus singer -and move like an old man .Nothing left from the famous Jagger's moves he has even on his solo shows.

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: July 24, 2009 16:48

And he smiles a bit too often .
He usually don't smile that much on stage ,does he ?

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: July 24, 2009 17:17

Wow - that was effing awful! I've never seen that before - he really phoned that one in.

It grosses me out the way he chews gum when he's singing. How did "murder" become "moiy-duh"

Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: July 24, 2009 20:06

Silver Dagger
On the Toronto sessions Keith's voice seems unusually high. Does anyone know if this is a result of the original tapes running too fast or did Keith acquire an unusual high pitched twang while waiting to be sentenced.

unusually high?? but have you heard keith harmonies on Exile, or him singing Before They Make Me Run?? eye popping smiley
Keith actually got one of the thinner and higher-pitched voice in the whole rockn'roll history!
At least from 1969 to early 1978. From some girls summer tour, his voice had changed a lot.
To me keith voice on toronto tapes sounds normal for 1977

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 24, 2009 21:17

>> have you heard Keith harmonies on Exile, or him singing Before They Make Me Run??
Keith actually got one of the thinner and higher-pitched voice in the whole rockn'roll history!<<

yep, he's got a very high-pitched singing voice on all the 78-and-earlier stuff -
All About You is where he started revealing more of his depth and texture.

he's still got the high notes, though - cf Careless Ethiopians for a *really* blatant example

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 24, 2009 21:27

Wow, never seen this before, that must have been some superior grade coke! By the way, I think what Jagger did there must have been the dumbest mistake ever -try to get from the soundbooth to the stage through a Japanese crowd. They tear him apart!

Mathijs

Date: July 24, 2009 22:08

Keith has sung harmony on loads of Stones hits from the beginning,hasnt he? I mean he did on 19th Nervous Breakdown for sure!

Date: July 24, 2009 22:12

X

Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: July 24, 2009 22:18

As terrible as Mick's performance is there; Japan really was a transition for him in terms of performance style...maybe it was the coke that led to the super structure?

OLDKR

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: July 24, 2009 22:39

Silver Dagger
I've thought about it too, several times, Silver Dagger.

I'm not exactly sure which Keith recordings you are referring to (could it be the Longview Farm recordings, instead of Toronto?) But I'm pretty sure that most tracks from "Unknown Dreams" are not on pitch and are indeed running too fast (and these, as far as I know, are from '81), whereas two or three other tracks (one being Apartment No. 9) seem to be on pitch (these must be the ones from Toronto, as they sound clearly different).

Anyway, I've always loved Unknown Dreams and I'm pretty sure that part of it's appeal (the strange sound and, yeah, THAT strange high piched voice) is connected to the simple fact of wrong speed (no drugs involved!).

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-24 22:44 by Greenblues.

Date: July 24, 2009 23:07

>> Keith has sung harmony on loads of Stones hits from the beginning, hasnt he? <<

you bet he has! loud & clear :E

(and regarding your previous doubt: yes, Ronnie sings lead on Act Together.
Keith wrote it, sings harmony and plays keyboards on it.)

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: July 24, 2009 23:12

If Jagger used cocain on this occasion - I thought that that would make him feel like a superstar(he!)...he´d sing like hell, shout,and all of that. This is more like a bad LSD-trip or something...But what do I know...luckyly...

Date: July 24, 2009 23:15

>> I'm not exactly sure which Keith recordings you are referring to (could it be the Longview Farm recordings, instead of Toronto?) <<

the two sessions are not hard to tell apart:
the 1977 Toronto tracks have guitar on them (along with piano); the 1981 Longview Farm tracks have just piano
(there are also some 1981 tracks from LA - those have sax on them)

ps: here's a page of the Longview Farm studio owner's recollections of those sessions: [www.studiowner.com]
with several of the numbers, presumably at the right speed.
that whole site is well worth reading, so ... have fun!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-24 23:36 by with sssoul.

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: July 25, 2009 00:21

Thank you with sssoul, I remember you told me once before. I'd just forgotten. And thanks for the reference, too. Very interesting read indeed!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-25 00:29 by Greenblues.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: July 25, 2009 00:48

UrbanSteel
scottkeef
NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT!!

Time can destroy your face ,

but coke can destroy your voice ( and sometimes your live )

Watch this video from Mick Jagger in Japan , pay attention to his voice , very low , and pay attention to his performance , he is all the time trying to slow down , he almost does not move , and watch him to climb the stair at the end from the walk to the stage .

i know i've been there , too much ....

As the late Rick James said, "Cocaine is a hell of a drug."

Posted by: izzyanderson ()
Date: July 25, 2009 00:55

is that Lionel Richie playing bass for Mick?!? at the 4:40-4:41 mark. looks like him. haha.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-07-25 00:56 by @#$%&.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 25, 2009 00:57

@#$%&
is that Lionel Richie playing bass for Mick?!? at the 4:40-4:41 mark. looks like him. haha.

It's for sure the worst ever rock drummer...

Mathijs

Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: July 25, 2009 01:19

this was a sad perfomance by our Mick...

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: July 25, 2009 01:21

The Jagger video is frightening. I've never seen anything so debasing...Christ.

No wonder he beat a hasty retreat into the arms of his old band. What a pathetic farce.

Date: July 25, 2009 02:05

I don't agree with the whole take on Jagger here. He obviously decided to do a whole different interpretation of GS. He does not have Charlie and Keith playing the song the way it is supposed to be played. Charlie always does these killer extra heavy hits on the tom toms before landing on the crash, and Keith lays the tempo down slow. So Jagger who is going for a new solo image at time anyway does it a new way.
Over with the soundman I think Jagger has got a huge delay or echo going that we are not hearing; must be a SB recording. That is why he is singing so slow, and so few words. because he knows it is really carrying and sounding big to the audience. I have experienced this many times. then he is off into the crowd LOL. Now...personally I love it when he gets on stage. He is like "I am Mick F*ckin Jagger!" up there. And on stage he enunciates completely different. Still slow but different. that drummer is totally wrong for this song. At 4:29 he does these delayed fills that SUCK! And is that Satriani trying to glide like Keith?
So glad he gave that crap up.

Posted by: slasausjes ()
Date: July 25, 2009 02:27

Silver Dagger

Also, I believe these were the first solo recordings by Keith? Does anyone know differently? Did he lay down any solo tracks when working on Ronnie's I've Got My Own Album To Do? I know at this time he was in the studio a lot and was going to produce The Only Ones Peter Perrett.

Dob't know if it's his first solo recording, but:

1974 15th October: KEITH RICHARDS. London, Olympic Sound Studios.
- Scarlet I (MJ/KR?) -unverified
Line-up: KR (gtr, voc)/STU (p)/Jimmy Page (gtr)/Rick Grech (bass)

Strange, but true, Jagger also did a solo version on a song called Scarlet:

1976 10th January: MICK JAGGER. Rio De Janeiro, Brazil, Phonogram Studios.
Producer: MJ. Unverified solo-recording.
- Scarlet (MJ/KR?)
Line-up: MJ (gtr, voc)/Dadi (bass)/Antonio Adolfo (p)/Paulinho Braga (dr)/Luiz
Cláudio (gtr)/Neném (cuíca; a percussion instrument)/Marçal (tamb)/
Eliseu (tamb)/Lula (surdo; a percussion instrument)/Risadinha (pandeiro;
a percussion instrument)/Canegal (ganzá; a percussion instrument)

Date: July 25, 2009 02:38

Looking at the two different line-ups behind the same song title kind of sums up much of the difference between the Glimmer Twins.

Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: July 25, 2009 12:33

with sssoul
>> have you heard Keith harmonies on Exile, or him singing Before They Make Me Run??
Keith actually got one of the thinner and higher-pitched voice in the whole rockn'roll history!<<

yep, he's got a very high-pitched singing voice on all the 78-and-earlier stuff -
All About You is where he started revealing more of his depth and texture.

he's still got the high notes, though - cf Careless Ethiopians for a *really* blatant example

yeah! *_*
careless ethiopians sssoul, and even some harmonies all over ABB like this place is empty or ONNYA.
from 1979 is voice started to got that timbre that he still has now. I was thrilled to hear a live version of All about you, from 98-99 i think, he really could sing very similar to the studio version. instead, he would not be able now to sing happy or before they make me run with THAT voice.
he sure lost some tones of vocal range, but is the timbre that changed a lot. cigarettes and alchool and even normal ageing process, god bless him! smiling smiley

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: July 25, 2009 12:57

Keith had that "high" voice in the 60´s and 70´s, later he lost it...

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: July 25, 2009 14:41

Toronto, 1977: Law enforcement had Keith "by the balls!"

No wonder his voice went up a notch!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1887
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home