Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Cult Dirty little rockstar
Posted by: john nicholls ()
Date: July 23, 2009 16:53

Has anyone heard this off of the Cult's new album. Sounds like Undercover to me????

Re: The Cult Dirty little rockstar
Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: July 23, 2009 17:13

This was discussed here long ago when the album was first coming out. I did a search for the topic but couldn't find it for some reason.....

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: July 23, 2009 17:14

Listen to Love Removal Machine, it´s SMU all over again..

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: john nicholls ()
Date: July 24, 2009 15:11

Has anyone out there heard this?

John Nicholls

Date: July 24, 2009 15:26

Dirty Little Rockstar? Yes, I have the album, but quite honestly, I don't hear the similarities, but what the hell do I know. I also don't really hear it in ASMB and Constant Craving...

Date: July 24, 2009 15:27

Had the Cult and the Crowes managed to stay together and keep performing and putting out albums all these years instead of both taking hiatuses, I do strongly believe that the state of the rock world would be in much better health. You'd have two major heavyweights carrying it on, and perhaps, just perhaps, U2's star coulda finally faded a bit.

Posted by: k ()
Date: July 24, 2009 17:11

Posted by: mickscarey ()
Date: July 24, 2009 17:12

If you can't hear Undercover in "Dirty Little Rock"star you be deaf!

Posted by: k ()
Date: July 24, 2009 17:14

I agree.

Date: July 24, 2009 17:25

Well tis true I've a bit of erosion in my hearing from all the concerts over the years...

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: July 24, 2009 18:25

Ha ha. Saw the Born Into This tour, love The Cult.

All the mags commented on how Dirty Little Rockstar sounds like Undercover Of The Night. Billy even admitted it. He loves the Stones.

Of course Love Removal sounds like SMU but really it's just Rain or Sanctuary faster. The original version is less so like SMU.

I missed the thread first time around. Funny it's come up now.

The Cult rock. They were even slated to open up for the Steel Wheels tour. Glad they didn't.

Posted by: straycat58 ()
Date: July 24, 2009 19:12

First time I heard SMU I found similarities with Elton John riff of Saturday night it's alright... I can't say at the end who copied who; I would say that these three riffs are very similar.

Posted by: benon again ()
Date: July 24, 2009 20:18

great riff smiling smiley good The Cult song , good rocknroll voice , i`ve seen The Cult and Doors with Astbury live...

Date: July 24, 2009 21:08

I know this is OT but talk about making your fans happy - Beggars Banquet is reissuing Love in two ways: one, of course, the regular album for both additons, a second disc of all the B-sides and various remixes for both versions but for the omnibus editon a third disc of demos and a fourth disc of a live show from the BBC.

Wouldn't that be great if the Stones were to do something of that nature? Essentially a box set of all the goodies surrounding the album!

And just for those people who care about vinyl issues - they also reissued Love on vinyl, 180 gram, in two editions - just the regular album and one with the Sanctuary mixes and maybe some of the other mixes.

Date: July 24, 2009 23:06

Do you know the release date skipstone?

Date: July 25, 2009 02:09

Of what? Love Removal Machine? The version from Electric? It was the first single, which came out February 16, 1987. The first recorded version was for the Peace album back in March 1986 and it is a bit different but still, bones wise, similar to what came out with Rick Rubin on Electric.

If you're wondering about Dirty Little Rockstar it came out in August 13, 2007 and the album Born Into This came out September 25, 2007.

Date: July 25, 2009 11:17

there are only so many riffs. the cult are awesome though

Posted by: kees ()
Date: July 25, 2009 12:20

They will tour again very soon (or probably already started) and play their whole album 'Love ' I think

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: July 25, 2009 13:32

mickijaggeroo
Listen to Love Removal Machine, it´s SMU all over again..

just better then SMU...
"love removal machine" is one fantastic song!

Date: July 25, 2009 16:46

They are playing Love in its entirety - and in order. And then the warhorses supposedly for the last part of the show. And new songs. Love Live Tour. That's why Beggars is reissuing Love in two ways - it's also been 25 years since the album came out. And since they don't have a huge back catalog, well, why not celebrate a great album?

If only UMe will do something like that for Exile. The general consensus around here is that it will be shite. Let's hope it's not.

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: July 25, 2009 18:09

A buddy of mine and I used to play Electric all the time when it came out. It was such a fresh blast of kickin' hard rock at a time when there wasn't much. Great album.

Posted by: milio77 ()
Date: July 25, 2009 19:34

Yeah, the guitar riff seems inspired in Undercover. Those things sometimes happen to musicians, even without intention. If B. Duffy admitted so, no problem. The Cult is a terrific band anyway.

I find their last album Born into This quite enjoyable, and one of the very first things that shocked me in the first listenings were the Uuuhh-Uhhhh's on the title track, wich opens the record, dierctly taken from Sympathy for the Devil. It's some kind of warm homage I guess, a nice blink to the Stones and their fans.

Date: July 26, 2009 01:18

Some Cult fans didn't like Born Into This. I don't get that. There's nothing FM radio big about the album, it's a simple organic sounding album that has some killer tunes on it. Whatever.

Date: July 26, 2009 08:03

born into this grew on me. at first i thought it was bad

Date: July 26, 2009 15:39

I thought it was great from the get go and a million times better than their previous album. It wasn't over cooked like Sonic Temple or Beyond Good And Evil, undercooked like Ceremony and it's not competing with their past of what they became established to be with Love and Electric. It's more in tune with being a logical follow up to one of their best albums, The Cult.

Date: July 27, 2009 15:18

Wow skipstone, I see that you and I are miles away on our Cult tastes! LOL

First off, I'd meant the date for the re-release of Love - sorry!

As for their best album, to me, it's always been Ceremony. I LOVE that album. Touches the soul every time I listen to it. Followed closely by Sonic Temple and Beyond Good and Evil. I do like Born Into This a lot, and from the get-go as well. Thought it was great, but not quite up to BGAE. Love and Electric are just a step ahead of the self-titled album for me. I hate the Nine-Inch Nails type sound they have going on that album.

Just a difference of opinions obviously. LOL I've always wanted to go see them live. Not sure I'd go to see them play all of Love live though. Unless they played really close here in upstate NY.

Date: July 27, 2009 16:24

Dude - go see them if you can for Love Live. I'm not gonna be able to. They put on a kick ass rock show. Hell, their worst show I've ever seen was their Sonic Temple headline tour! But you may be aware of this - lately it's gotten very funny because a lot of Cult fans have gotten a bit pissed with The Cult for, oh my, playing the same songs on every tour as of late.

Imagine that. They're still playing songs from BIT though.

Eh, the Stones have their warhorses, the Hot Rocks; The Cult have their warhorses, the Pure Cult tunes. Cult fans are getting sick of hearing the same warhorses every time they come to town.

As much as Ian hates Sonic Temple and doesn't want that to be his legacy to be remembered by they sure do like to play their singles from that album - Fire Woman won't go away (I wish it would) and Sweet Soul Sister, which I've always liked, won't go away. Edie - which some people call eDIE - won't go away either. The only one they haven't played for a while is Sun King, one of their best tunes.

You listen to BG&E and you'll notice that it's way over the top production wise and even a bit silly. Still, War, Rise, Breathe, Shape The Sky - great tunes (as is Libertine). But the crossing of Dreamtime elements with dropped D tuning heavy metal tooting with Take The Power, The Saint, even War as well and Ashes And Ghosts and then the last two songs being big ballad rock mush - eh, the album is a bit weak overall. It's just not fitting. It certainly reeks of reaching too far to be relevant instead of just BEING. Where are the Classic Cult songs? Rise is it. Breathe is close.

Ceremony - ha ha. Title track, Wild Hearted Son, Earth Mofo, White, Indian and Red Jesus are fantastic. And I like Wonderland. The rest of it? Total crap.

I don't hear any NIN sound on The Cult - if anything, it's Achtung Baby. Again, like some Stones albums, it's what they left off that could have made that album, which I like a lot, a lot better - Sacred High, Splunge/Relapse, In The Clouds, Beauty's On The Street.

Date: July 27, 2009 18:29

While I complain like everyone else here about the Stones' warhorses, when I go see someone I've not seen before, that's exactly what I want.....so with the Cult, I'd want only the warhorses. LOL I know when I go see the Crowes though that I won't get the warhorses. That's OK because I've been listening to all their albums a lot to get me primed!!

Fire Woman is one of the quintessential songs of the 80's!!! The Cult never got much airplay aside from Love Removal Machine, which has been played to death. It's a shame. They are a great band that should have been even bigger.

I love War. It's a great tune. For me, I like slick production so I don't have a problem with it (remember I grew up in the 80's, love hair metal, and am a proud fan of Bon Jovi, having seen them in concert more'n once - sorry Gazza).

Sonic Temple is an 80's metal masterpiece - Fire Woman, Edie, Sun King, American Horse, New York City, Soldier Blue, Automatic Blues, Wake Up Time For Freedom. Great great stuff.

As for Ceremony, love all the songs you'd mentioned and If and Sweet Salvation, Heart of Soul. This is the album I've played the most out of all theirs.

The Cult is the album I've played the least. I hate the sound, that industrial techy thing. It sucks to me. I've hated it from the get-go. Such a wasted effort. I really thought they'd lost it at that point. But then they came back with Beyond Good and Evil, which to me is Sonic Temple part deux, so all was restored LOL.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Previous page Next page First page IORR home