Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Track Talk: Connection
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 24, 2009 23:25

>> But weren´t the early songs that Keith sings, all written by Keith AND Mick? <<

... the short answer is: no. that's not even true of all the songs Mick sings.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 24, 2009 23:34

with sssoul
>> But weren´t the early songs that Keith sings, all written by Keith AND Mick? <<

... the short answer is: no. that's not even true of all the songs Mick sings.

In fact, Jagger has admitted that until Between the Buttons Keith was the main songwriter, with Jagger only adding pieces of lyrics. Wyman claims that until Beggars Banquet it was basically Keith who came up with songs and melodies.

Mathijs

Posted by: elunsi ()
Date: July 25, 2009 11:22

I think he admitted, that on SOME songs he only added pieces of lyrics. And he said, that usually the melody comes when the singer starts to sing.
why shouldn´t we see Mick as the main lyricist in the 60s? Do we KNOW, which pieces of lyrics Keith wrote, and which Mick?

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: September 18, 2010 22:55

I know this is a beloved track for many here, but for me it's too perky, too bubbly, and too insubstantial to be of interest. Connection, I would argue, is a pop song (like the rest of the album), and as such it lacks the catharsis inherent in the blues. Not a bad little track, but I'm glad the Stones realized that pop music is not where their genius fundamentally resides.

Drew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-19 14:41 by drewmaster.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: September 19, 2010 08:27

drewmaster
I know this is a beloved track for many here, but for me it's too perky, too bubbly, and too insubstantial to be of interest. Connection, I would argue, is a pop song (like the rest of the album), and as such it lacks the catharsis inherent in the blues. Not a horrible track, but I'm glad the Stones realized that pop music is not where their genius resides.

Drew

Despite this observation they made genius pop music, just something your tastes obviously aren't in tune with.

Connection isn't really all that different to things like Walk before they make me run, little T & A etc etc.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: September 19, 2010 11:42

elunsi
I think he admitted, that on SOME songs he only added pieces of lyrics. And he said, that usually the melody comes when the singer starts to sing.
why shouldn´t we see Mick as the main lyricist in the 60s? Do we KNOW, which pieces of lyrics Keith wrote, and which Mick?

There is not much we know of that. What we know is that Keith Richards came with the title "I Can't Get No Satisfaction" and Mick seemingly wrote all the other words of it. The same was very much later with "Angie", "Beast of Burden"; of "Wild Horses" has been said that the basic chorus line comes from Keith, etc. I also remember that Mick has commented for shaping up the melodies because he was the one who was singing them. It would be interesting to know how much the actual melody of such melodically distinguished pieces like "Tell Me", "As Tears Go By" or, say, "Lady Jane" were totally Keith's brainchilds and how much Mick "shaped" them. I have the picture that Keith was very melodic and precise in the early days. But it could that in the very early days ('63-'66) they were writing them literally together (in all those hotel rooms, etc.), and like helping each other all the time, piece by piece, say, Mick offering ideas to Keith's sketches, etc. As far as I can see, it would not e until BETWEEN THE BUTTONS sessions when they started to make whole songs separetely, as they turned out to be in relaesed form (a'la Keith's "Connection" and Mick's "Yesterday's Papers".). The guys were not any longer on tour, and Keith spending much time with Brian (and Anita) also had something to do with. Mick has been quite vocal about he didn't have anything to do with "Ruby Tuesday" and it has been speculated quite a lot how much Brian contributed to its creation.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-09-19 11:44 by Doxa.

Posted by: braddog50 ()
Date: October 10, 2011 23:25

Brian jones played the piano on this piece

Posted by: Slimharpo ()
Date: October 11, 2011 00:55

Keith Wrote "I can't Get Non Satisfaction and I Try and I Try and I Try." I'm not sure how precise their memory is on this stuff. Keith ould write songs and if he'd run out of words he'd make noises to indicate the sounds of the words he wanted.

Posted by: stones78 ()
Date: October 11, 2011 03:49

I don't know why this is constantly referred to as Keith's "first solo vocal" or something if it's Mick that sings solo on the chorus and then they share vocals for the rest of the song.

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: October 11, 2011 04:16

Love this MFer, especially live!!

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: October 11, 2011 06:35

stones78
I don't know why this is constantly referred to as Keith's "first solo vocal" or something if it's Mick that sings solo on the chorus and then they share vocals for the rest of the song.

Correct, it is not. This only became a Keith song in people's minds after he started doing it w/ the winos in concert. Before that, no one ever mentioned this as a 'keith' track. His first solo was a brief part in Something Happened To Me, and completely with You Got The Silver.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2835
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home